Underwater detector for a 7 year old grandson?

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson has been watching the videos on underwater metal detecting and of course thats what he wants for his birthday, so Poppa is gonna get him one. He is going to be 7 so high end or full arm models aren't in the picture, but I was looking at the Vibra King 750 that pulses and has an LED signal. Roughly $150, any better recommendations? His Poppa is also looking at maybe joining him one day after he retires, so it's hopefully that start of getting his interest peaked in outside activities.

Thanks in advance

Looking on the internet and the Nokta Macro seems to be a good one as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to the pros
Beach and Shallow Water
I would not recommend the Vibra king
its for snorkelers and divers - he would have to lay down or kneel in 2-3 ft of water to use
and would take forever to cover any ground
get a cheap beach machine for around the same price - the coil and rod can be put in the water - just dont get box wet
so he could still got in 2-3 ft of water and hit sand and dirt still

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, you just know that a 7 year old is going to drop that detector in the water at some point, so, getting a waterproof detector is a must if it's going to be used anywhere near the water. I don't know what your budget is, or if you plan on salt water or fresh water(or both) hunting, but, the Simplex is about as inexpensive as you can get on a decent waterproof detector at the moment. It's mainly good in in fresh water, but, will work to some extent in salt water if you turn it down far enough. Next step up would probably be the Garrett AT series or a Sea Hunter PI machine. There again, the AT's aren't a particularly good salt water machine, but, the Sea Hunter will work fine there.......if you don't mind digging iron junk targets. Next, and best choice for salt and fresh water would be the Equinox 600. Great machine for all around hunting. The small handheld pin pointer style water detectors will work to some extent, but, I believe would be frustrating to use by a 7 year old.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if a 7 year old is going in the water a responsible adult needs to be within arms reach at all times, and wholly devoted to watching him, no cell phone stuff or other distractions, because water detecting can be extremely dangerous, and at age 7, you make a mistake once.

I saw a guy at the local beach merrily detecting in 3' of water and all of a sudden he was gone! He stepped into a deep hole. He got out of it, but a 7 year old, not so much. There had been a storm the night before and the sand had eroded that deep that fast.

OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I asked here, all good advice. Just like when we are fishing , swimming in the pond / ocean, and lord knows the pool, grandbabies are always a jump away from an adult. I can see him using this at a few swimming beaches both salt and freshwater, and am almost 100% confident it will be dropped, hopefully on land and not like my boga grip Saturday on a farm pond. No, I didn't have a float so it is my fault. A lot to think about

Casper - he want's it for water hunting, already snorkels, and I from what I can tell probably wouldn't use it on land until he is older. Good points and I am off to check out your links

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider a tether. A few years ago some kids were all holding hands at a local state park. Weather was calm, but one kid let go, and that fast was lost, they could not find her, and she died. Water just over 2' deep.

Wisdom can sometimes be scary, but if you think ahead, you'll avoid most dangerous situations.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my son was 7 when he started - and I got him an old Mark machine and wrapped the box and he never dropped it
he only went in bout 2ft

First of all, you just know that a 7 year old is going to drop that detector in the water at some point, so, getting a waterproof detector is a must if it's going to be used anywhere near the water. I don't know what your budget is, or if you plan on salt water or fresh water(or both) hunting, but, the Simplex is about as inexpensive as you can get on a decent waterproof detector at the moment. It's mainly good in in fresh water, but, will work to some extent in salt water if you turn it down far enough. Next step up would probably be the Garrett AT series or a Sea Hunter PI machine. There again, the AT's aren't a particularly good salt water machine, but, the Sea Hunter will work fine there.......if you don't mind digging iron junk targets. Next, and best choice for salt and fresh water would be the Equinox 600. Great machine for all around hunting. The small handheld pin pointer style water detectors will work to some extent, but, I believe would be frustrating to use by a 7 year old.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rip current would be the first concern if not a very strong swimmer.

It is very easy to get in deeper in a moment of trying to chase a signal.

I recommend a life vest for sure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, the Delaware ocean here is horrible for rip tides. It's where the "Faithful Steward" was sunk. I would be scared to go in that water. About once a year a person dies in the park, adults, sneaker waves get them then the rip tides do the rest. You can see the rip tides from space.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions