BEST PINPOINTER MONEY CAN BUY - Opinions? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: BEST PINPOINTER MONEY CAN BUY - Opinions?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14062 times
    Metal Detecting
    The SunRay FX-1 that I put on my Fisher F-75 was the best available at the time. It is having a 1" coil on a baton that toggles with your primary coil. Uses your detector's headphones, detector TDI display (and any notches or discrimination) and detector batteries.

Sadly they are no longer making pinpointers. May still be available for various detectors including Whites from various sources with stock or as used.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Jun 14, 2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

us
    Sep 2016
    Southern Arizona
    Minelab Equinox 800,XP ORX
    121 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I own the XP MI-6, and a garrett carrot. I just bought the new carrot (wireless version) but sent it back, kept falsing, turned it on pointing into the air and it would false and had to be reset, turned on touching the ground- would false, turned down the sensitivity- it would false and had to be reset. same on the fisher pulse- bought one of the first, sent it back for the same reason as the carrot, recently bought the tecknics pulse induction, same problem as the carrot. tried the nokta, same problems as the carrot, it must just be me, but I like to XP-MI-6, as I crank the sensitivity up to 50 and have no problems, and it is a "Pinpointer" not an area locator like the carrot,Nokta, fisher etc. a pinpointer should do just that detect the object under the tip , not everything in the area. With the XP if the object is not deep, I can use a screwdriver to get the object, with everything else I tend to dig towards China.

Nov 2012
    1578 times
    Seems that Whites is pulling the plug so the great TRX will not be available, to bad.
    dts52 likes this.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Tough to explain why half a dozen pinpointers false on you, obviously must be some local EMI condition.

"Area location" is a great feature when looking for a small metal target in a pile of dirt or sand, and if you don't want to use it, then just use the tip to probe, simple. A man must learn how to use his tools to get the most out of them - And generally, the more options you have, the better off you are.

XP MI-6 looks like a nice offering, I have heard people say it lacks sensitivity and it a bit muted, XP owners I would think it would be a no brainer to buy, for others I don't see a compelling reason to pay more for it over a carrot.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9049 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Tough to explain why half a dozen pinpointers false on you, obviously must be some local EMI condition.

"Area location" is a great feature when looking for a small metal target in a pile of dirt or sand, and if you don't want to use it, then just use the tip to probe, simple. A man must learn how to use his tools to get the most out of them - And generally, the more options you have, the better off you are.

XP MI-6 looks like a nice offering, I have heard people say it lacks sensitivity and it a bit muted, XP owners I would think it would be a no brainer to buy, for others I don't see a compelling reason to pay more for it over a carrot.
    i don't know for sure if this was bc's problem or not, but, for anyone having falsing issues with a pin pointer, turn off your detector and try the pin pointer before you condemn it as being faulty. Detectors and pin pointers like to talk to each other if they get close enough.
    gunsil likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cell phones and other gadgets can cause interference as well

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    459 times
    I am currently on my second Garrett Carrot. If you use them heavily (a few times a week and in water) expect it to die before the warranty runs. Then expect that one to die in a few years. Maybe I'm just really hard on them?? Same thing happened with my black Garrett Pro Pointer before the carrot came out.

I also have a Deteknix (now Quest) X Pointer Pro that I use in tough soil and highly mineralized areas. It is a pulse, so it won't false like the carrot. Just don't aim it at your coil or it will sound like a couple robots getting amorous in your ear.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    1859 times
    Metal Detecting
    I use a Garrett Pro Pointer AT on all my detecting adventures. I bought it in 2016 and it is still going strong. Batteries last a long time, fits my needs well.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    34892 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I have an use the TRX, Garrett (black and Carrot) and Pulse drive. I carry on my finds pouch/bag a Garrett Carrot and Pulse Dive. I use the wireless Pulse Drive with the Simplex.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1991 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post
    I have an use the TRX, Garrett (black and Carrot) and Pulse drive. I carry on my finds pouch/bag a Garrett Carrot and Pulse Dive. I use the wireless Pulse Drive with the Simplex.
    There is now an 8 inch coil for the pulse dive also!

Chub

us
    Daylight is buring

Nov 2007
    USA
    Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
    341 times
    Metal Detecting
    SUNRAY PROBES they can work with discrimination on the detector. have one mounted on my Sovereign works great. Only downside is they are hard to come by and people want stupid $$ for the Minelab FBS detectors.

ca
    Oct 2016
    Canadian Eh
    Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, and Simplex+ Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
    361 times
    Metal Detecting
    Vulcan 360 all the way.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    vulcan [never heard of it] has atrocious ratings on amazon and says discontinued by manufacturer

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14062 times
    Metal Detecting
    2" isn't pinpointed. That's still a 4" diameter circle. You need a better primary detector, or more practice with it, if you need more than 1-1/2" or even 1" out of your pinpointer.

IMHO.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Jun 25, 2020 at 11:23 PM.
    gunsil likes this.
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    True, guys who want more range on a pinpointer don't seem to realize that would defeat its primary purpose - To let you know when you are very close to [relatively] small metal objects.
    3cylbill and gunsil like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links