BEST PINPOINTER MONEY CAN BUY - Opinions?

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly as the title says: I'm in the market for a new pinpointer, and I want to know which one is the absolute best.

Money is no object. A good pinpointer saves time, opens more holes, and scores more targets. PERIOD.

So far I've been using the White's TRX. I like it, but I want to know if there's anything more accurate/deeper/faster/etc...

So okay everyone... GO!

Upvote 0

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently on my second Garrett Carrot. If you use them heavily (a few times a week and in water) expect it to die before the warranty runs. Then expect that one to die in a few years. Maybe I'm just really hard on them?? Same thing happened with my black Garrett Pro Pointer before the carrot came out.

I also have a Deteknix (now Quest) X Pointer Pro that I use in tough soil and highly mineralized areas. It is a pulse, so it won't false like the carrot. Just don't aim it at your coil or it will sound like a couple robots getting amorous in your ear.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Garrett Pro Pointer AT on all my detecting adventures. I bought it in 2016 and it is still going strong. Batteries last a long time, fits my needs well.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an use the TRX, Garrett (black and Carrot) and Pulse drive. I carry on my finds pouch/bag a Garrett Carrot and Pulse Dive. I use the wireless Pulse Drive with the Simplex. :icon_thumleft:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an use the TRX, Garrett (black and Carrot) and Pulse drive. I carry on my finds pouch/bag a Garrett Carrot and Pulse Dive. I use the wireless Pulse Drive with the Simplex. :icon_thumleft:

There is now an 8 inch coil for the pulse dive also!

Chub

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SUNRAY PROBES they can work with discrimination on the detector. have one mounted on my Sovereign works great. Only downside is they are hard to come by and people want stupid $$ for the Minelab FBS detectors.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vulcan 360 all the way.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vulcan [never heard of it] has atrocious ratings on amazon and says discontinued by manufacturer

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2" isn't pinpointed. That's still a 4" diameter circle. You need a better primary detector, or more practice with it, if you need more than 1-1/2" or even 1" out of your pinpointer.

IMHO.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, guys who want more range on a pinpointer don't seem to realize that would defeat its primary purpose - To let you know when you are very close to [relatively] small metal objects.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the Black Garrett, the carrot, the Whites TRX and the XP. I loved the black Garrett and it went bad and sent it in for repair and Garrett talked me into trading it for the carrot and I hated the carrot so I gave it away. I bought a TRX and wasn't impressed but still have it. So I went simple and bought the XP and for me when pinpointing simple is best however all the pin pointers are good and have features that are likeable.

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the TRX. It’s very sensitive which I like but is very noisy when run hot.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i have ever used is a black Garrett i have been using Garrett since they came out with the first one. I really like the Garrett and will never use a different brand. You can not beat the Garrett pin pointer. But that is me.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garrett carrot for all my land and up to 10' deep underwater. I recently purchased a Dr. Otek good for 32' underwater and took it down to 30' with no issues.
It also works good on land but it's a bit larger in design than the carrot.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Sunray inline Probe is the Absolute Best, If there is one for Your Detector

000ex.jpg 000index.jpg

Because they are No longer made, They sell Like Gold Does.
Keep Rising in Price.

You said Best that Money Can buy , So I Take it Money Don't matter.

Once you get used to One, it's indispensable & Like having a
1" coil on a stick Detector That runs through Your Control Box's Power.
Just switch the Toggle to Coil or Probe

Last edited:

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, your question is something that I have dealt with the last 2 weeks. May have an answer for ya. I used a White pinpointer TRX for about 4 years. Worked great. Then the sound went out on it and only got a faint hum. Bought a Garrett brand about 2 weeks ago. Have to admit...its a equal or better than my white was. About 30 bucks less too. Great, strong signal. Never misses a target. No hum or false signals. And it comes set up out of the box , at about a 2 inch signal from a target. Perfect for any hole. Its a winner !

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've drowned many a carrot. The warranty is nice but don't wait to send it back. I'm on carrots # 5-6 . I carry both on me in case one goes out. Too many ruined hunts walking back to the car lol. Yes I'm hard on them. Yes I know you're not supposed to use them instead of a shovel lol.

TheEquinoxHunter

Nov 22, 2018
TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 (Main), Equinox 600(water machine), Anfibio Multi, F75+, T2SE, (Old Faithful) (Co Main), BHLRP, ACE 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing good garret makes, garret carrot

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Deteknix X Pointer I really liked but someone stole it a while back (haven't hunted much in the last 3 years but the addiction is getting the better of me once again; thankfully).

Just ordered a cheap Chinese GP Pointer to get going again. Once the treasure begins to pile up again I'll get a better one. It was like; 15 bucks.
For the money it seems adequate but I dunno how long it will last; if at all.
I've used worse though; like the Harbor Freight model for 17 bucks that works fairly well IF you replace the crappy switch with a heavy duty one and use the metal ring trick.
The LED was actually very bright on that one though. Plus when it breaks or you lose it, it's no great loss.

But all of the big names are good; Garrett, Minelab, etc.
If money is no object get a fully waterproof model. never know when you'll need to submerse that thing to find that treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions