BEST PINPOINTER MONEY CAN BUY - Opinions?

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly as the title says: I'm in the market for a new pinpointer, and I want to know which one is the absolute best.

Money is no object. A good pinpointer saves time, opens more holes, and scores more targets. PERIOD.

So far I've been using the White's TRX. I like it, but I want to know if there's anything more accurate/deeper/faster/etc...

So okay everyone... GO!

Upvote 0

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT Pro-pointer (carrot) is the only one I’ve ever used and I love it.

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Whites, the black Garrett and the Garrett carrot... the carrot is my favorite, the others collect dust.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the TRX and the carrot,(and some other lesser brands) both are great, but I prefer the TRX.....:headbang:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my ever dependable CARROT

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Pro Find 35

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP MI-6 is the most advanced, wireless for the Deus. It will work without a Deus but not as good. I also have a Tek-Point in the original version. It is amazingly powerful.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a Garrett Pro Pointer and White's TRX user for years. Recently Got the XP Mi-6 with my XP ORX and it's the best I've ever used. It can be set up many different ways. I like the VCO setting, waterproof to 20', Rechargeable battery, and with the ORX it can be heard through your headphones, also can be located with the ORX detector if you forget it and leave it at your last recovery.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only used the Nokta. Excellent. Why not buy the Nokta scuba tector then you swap heads and youve got another detector and an excellent pinpointer.

Chub

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used and/or tested all except the XP and I've settled on the Minelab Pro Find 35. Extremely user friendly; easily adjusted for sensitivity, reliable, iron ID at close ranges and accurate.

Just the opinion from my foxhole...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I have probably owned most. I have had the vibrate only and the noise makers only and the pointers that do both. I have the tip and up the shaft detectors and the tip only pointers. The two that surface the most is the carrot and the TRX. I am very much in tune with the tip only pointers because I feel that it is a true pin pointer and the up the shaft is a general area detector. The TRX fits my needs the best. I have been surveying a couple new pointers that are now on the market with what they call variable freq.. Who knows maybe I will have one of those in my inventory soon to try out. In the mean time I will be touting the TRX as my favorite.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve used most all of them. My top pics are the TRX, AT Proppointer, Makro, MI6 and Profind 35. I generally weigh everything by sensitivity, ease of use, ruggedness, compactness, waterproofness and then features. Most don’t make the cut for me because the vibrations are weak or they aren’t sensitive. One of the more sensitive ones I’ve used are the Fisher (Tek Point same thing).

I tinkered with the Quest but I haven’t used it or the newer a Nokta one. Right now I carry the TRX and older, black Makro. Given the choice of one and where it would be dry land hunting it would be the TRX. Given water conditions it is a toss up between the Makro or the AT Propointer. These last two only edge out the others because they vibrate harder and I can more easily feel it under water.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carrot all the way.
I have a Nokta too, nice but it is a behemoth, also a flat nose, neither one being ideal features for a pinpointer.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Mi6, TRX and Nokta. Each have their good points and bad. If money is not an issue i suggest getting one of each brand and figure out which one fits you the best.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The SunRay FX-1 that I put on my Fisher F-75 was the best available at the time. It is having a 1" coil on a baton that toggles with your primary coil. Uses your detector's headphones, detector TDI display (and any notches or discrimination) and detector batteries.

Sadly they are no longer making pinpointers. May still be available for various detectors including Whites from various sources with stock or as used.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the XP MI-6, and a garrett carrot. I just bought the new carrot (wireless version) but sent it back, kept falsing, turned it on pointing into the air and it would false and had to be reset, turned on touching the ground- would false, turned down the sensitivity- it would false and had to be reset. same on the fisher pulse- bought one of the first, sent it back for the same reason as the carrot, recently bought the tecknics pulse induction, same problem as the carrot. tried the nokta, same problems as the carrot, it must just be me, but I like to XP-MI-6, as I crank the sensitivity up to 50 and have no problems, and it is a "Pinpointer" not an area locator like the carrot,Nokta, fisher etc. a pinpointer should do just that detect the object under the tip , not everything in the area. With the XP if the object is not deep, I can use a screwdriver to get the object, with everything else I tend to dig towards China.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems that Whites is pulling the plug so the great TRX will not be available, to bad.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough to explain why half a dozen pinpointers false on you, obviously must be some local EMI condition.

"Area location" is a great feature when looking for a small metal target in a pile of dirt or sand, and if you don't want to use it, then just use the tip to probe, simple. A man must learn how to use his tools to get the most out of them - And generally, the more options you have, the better off you are.

XP MI-6 looks like a nice offering, I have heard people say it lacks sensitivity and it a bit muted, XP owners I would think it would be a no brainer to buy, for others I don't see a compelling reason to pay more for it over a carrot.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough to explain why half a dozen pinpointers false on you, obviously must be some local EMI condition.

"Area location" is a great feature when looking for a small metal target in a pile of dirt or sand, and if you don't want to use it, then just use the tip to probe, simple. A man must learn how to use his tools to get the most out of them - And generally, the more options you have, the better off you are.

XP MI-6 looks like a nice offering, I have heard people say it lacks sensitivity and it a bit muted, XP owners I would think it would be a no brainer to buy, for others I don't see a compelling reason to pay more for it over a carrot.

i don't know for sure if this was bc's problem or not, but, for anyone having falsing issues with a pin pointer, turn off your detector and try the pin pointer before you condemn it as being faulty. Detectors and pin pointers like to talk to each other if they get close enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread