Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read through several threads on these topics but they're all split up and hard to find condensed info. So, I want to ask you experts here what your experiences have been and what your knowledge is of detecting on public properties, in specific: schools, colleges, courthouses, etc. I know some schools/colleges are private so you would need to get permission, but what have you found the rules to be on all these public properties? I've been to some ballparks, city parks, etc. but I know that state and national parks are off limits. What's your take on all these public places?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public property rules are posted, usually at the city hall records department or county courthouse. Some are accessible online, others you need to go there and look it up. If there's nothing prohibiting detecting, I'd go ahead and do it (responsibly of course). If it's a highly conspicuous spot, I'd do it at off hours when workers and lookie loos aren't around to complain. Schools on the weekend, or, early/late hours when school is out. Oh, and not all State and National Parks are off limits to detecting. There again, look up the rules yourself about a particular location. Even if it's stated in the rules that no detecting is allowed, you can still ask the park ranger as you enter the park. Sometimes they don't care whether you detect or not, or, sometimes they allow it in a designated area. That's about the only time I would actually ask someone permission, is when the rules forbid detecting. At that point, it can't hurt to ask. Otherwise asking permission will just open a can of worms that we'd rather keep closed. No point in getting on a bureaucrat's radar by asking questions about something they otherwise wouldn't have even thought about. Most of the time, they don't know the law anyway, and just give you their opinion, or, the easy and safe answer....No.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In most public places like cudamark said it is best to hunt during off hours. I got kicked out of two parks one day by a city employee and there were no laws or regulations against detecting. They hear horror stories about some people leaving holes and destroying the parks. There are still a few people out there that don't fill their holes etc but not many. Unless I know it is ok to detect in a park or on public property I usually do it at nights or weekends.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat Forest is also off limits

Edit: to digging and removing artifacts

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat Forest is also off limits

Not entirely true. Most National Forests allow detecting. It's National Parks that are usually off limits. There again, the rules are posted. Just look them up. Sometimes detecting is at the discretion of the park ranger and you have to ask, but, look it up first before you do. No need to get on their radar unnecessarily.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. With that I try and detect in early mornings and evenings when not many are around. In Michigan most state parks allow detecting and when I do I always do it in a respectful manner, replacing dirt into holes and never detecting around campers. The state park down the road from me has a camp ground that use to be an archery range back in the 50's and 60's. Every year I pull out an old point from a lost arrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread