Whites Metal Detectors Going Out Of Business

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
leafshadowhorz.png

American Made Metal Detectors since 1950

[email protected] • 1-888-666-6121

Upvote 1

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure puts Garrett in a good position, I know First Texas will be around, but rethinking of how both will need to compete now with Whites and Tesoro gone to what both in my mind how Nokta | Makro and Minelab have recently been doing is sure making a difference on those searching for the best at the cheapest price in a ever competing market place.

Multi Technology^r has really spark peoples interest along with head to head comparison tests folks posting on the internet..to me it is a no brainer to act quickly to make a decision on a product many years ago before the internet was always just a treasure magazine away, now times are changing how we shop to make a good decision. Anyways I have always wanted to visit Whites Sweet Home Oregon and Tesoro in Prescot Arizonaa manufacturing facility other then relying on internet videos would have been great to see in person. Searching the internet and the technology that Minelab and Nokta | Makro are putting into thier business simply amazes me and sure they did not intended to see how this was going to unfold even before COVID-19.

Whites was my first beginner/intermediate detector, that opened the doors to me.

This was the first detector I used with amazing results. I debated about picking up another recently but there has been just so many folks who use and will continue to use these two company's still today where others have left the pack. I will sure miss the earlier dependable 'beep and dig' products and in my mind are and will be the best analog devices made. Later digital products have dominated the market.

I will never give up my Tesoros. But regret giving up my Whites.

I have grown to love and respect the stories I have read/shared on my finds and what these amazing detectors have produced.

A day to mark in the calendar indeed... made me go to Tesoros website today but I cant find it anymore, finally taken done now?? Makes me to believe they have not found a buyer.

Anyways..

HH my friends stay in touch.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
are there other repair stations??that work on whites
brad

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites seemed to have a large range of similar machines. The price and tech of new machines (value) is just too good. Tesoro also in a similar situation. Ive been a member here for a while and Whites just dont seem to feature much. It is a shame though.

Chub

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait this note said the following everyone.

Ken White is retiring only? What is mentioned is the following before we jump to conclusions 'we are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also said...

"critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

"The time has come for retirement from White's Electronics." Sounds like he is saying Whites is retiring.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It means a loss of jobs, that seems like a simple inference.
That means for now, it’s kaput.
Man, I just got that TRX pinpointer. I sure don’t want to lose any metal detecting companies, especially ones that have given a rats patootie about service.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your saying that White's didn't keep up with tech on their detectors that's a laugh, there isn't anybody who makes a detector with the adjustments you can make on the V3i. Lets say way too many adjustments for most people. HH

So sad that we cant keep up with metal detector technology.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL don't think so. HH
Not long after the Apex release, makes me wonder if its more about technology then Chinese counterfeit instruments...:icon_scratch::dontknow:

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really socks. I love all the brands and each brand has a distinct following and understanding. Personally, I like my mx-7,trx combo,.....sad times. Im curious what may become of garrett in this following as well. The apex reveal and tech that comes with it HAS to pay off on the sales side. But even at that, the simplex still holds more capable options, in regards to waterproofed and msrp price points.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this detector even out yet? or is this just one of those touting how great it is before anybody has used it? HH
Not long after the Apex release, makes me wonder if its more about technology then Chinese counterfeit instruments...:icon_scratch::dontknow:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your saying that White's didn't keep up with tech on their detectors that's a laugh, there isn't anybody who makes a detector with the adjustments you can make on the V3i. Lets say way too many adjustments for most people. HH

Adjustments do not equal advancements in technology. Doesnt matter how many knobs you put on a 1970s LP player, it will never be a CD player. Their slow reaction to adapt to changing sales was their biggest killer. They were falling behind every year with outdated sales ideas while the rest of the market embraced the new role of the internet. Coupled with their draconian methods of running a forum only alienated users further. Lack of advancing tech was just the final nail in the coffin.

Whites closing their door doesnt come as a shock, but it certainly is sad. I have owned and loved many of their detectors through the years, starting with the 6000diPro which was the king detector of its day.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to give White's one thing, they built tank-like detectors. Unfortunately that durability equaled heavy units and most of them are battery hogs too. I had a couple Whites detectors and seemed like they just didn't punch deep into the ground at all. Seemed to have fairly accurate ID but depth wise were weak.

Had hoped they would come out with something more modern like the other detector companies are doing. Didn't happen. I'm also of the same opinion as others- It's sad to see an American company like this call it quits. Seems to me it was more a case of stubborn that ended this company. Guy running it just didn't want to change with the times and felt like he could just keep on selling the same old stuff. Their prices were extremely high for what they offered and they didn't budge a bit. Too many things added up against them.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really sucks, a big shocker. I bought a White V3i about 6 weeks ago, love the machine. So sick of hearing people cry about having to spend a little more money to buy American made. Its our jobs at stake. I did my part. For those who buy foreign detectors I wish ya luck, but we need to support our own at home. The v3i is a relic monster and by far the best detector I have ever owned, crying shame they are going out of business.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We’ve seen it time and time again. Outdated business model by not staying up or ahead of the times.
Historically, this has always lead to failure of most companies that refuse to update.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This really sucks, a big shocker. I bought a White V3i about 6 weeks ago, love the machine. So sick of hearing people cry about having to spend a little more money to buy American made. Its our jobs at stake. I did my part. For those who buy foreign detectors I wish ya luck, but we need to support our own at home. The v3i is a relic monster and by far the best detector I have ever owned, crying shame they are going out of business.

I can respect what you are saying. But what does "Buy American" really mean today anyway? If you look at what Ken White wrote, he mentioned foreign parts sourcing. There are American companies here that could have supplied the components. So it is not an "All American" company. How can it be if they were sourcing parts from other countries to assemble their units?

I also agree with you on the V3i. Always wanted one, even though it is a heavy machine that eats batteries. What it could display on the screen fascinated me. It is a tinkerer's dream. I did hold a VX3 in my hands and at least see it function and even though it was a stripped down version of the V3i it appealed to me. Unfortunately at the time it was simply too heavy for a man that just had a car accident injury (my wife was also peeved that I snuck it in under the radar). White's made unique detectors for a very long time. But things did become stagnant.

Can you imaging what it would have been like to see the V4i?? Using modern surface mount miniaturized board design with more power efficient design, tight tolerance SM components, a high resolution display like those today on tablets but smaller and in full color, running 4 frequencies simultaneously instead of 3, carbon fiber rods, enhanced shielded coils with heavy coil wire to control box, a replaceable Lithium-ion battery pack, and best of all wireless built-in that uses ANY Low latency bluetooth headphones?? Now such a beast WOULD make a difference and WOULD have sold. It would have been White's way of preserving history while moving forward with the V Series Legacy.

What could have been..

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
iam sorry i do not see anywhere he said anything about sourcing foreign parts.ive have only ever used there products, brad
I can respect what you are saying. But what does "Buy American" really mean today anyway? If you look at what Ken White wrote, he mentioned foreign parts sourcing. There are American companies here that could have supplied the components. So it is not an "All American" company. How can it be if they were sourcing parts from other countries to assemble their units?

I also agree with you on the V3i. Always wanted one, even though it is a heavy machine that eats batteries. What it could display on the screen fascinated me. It is a tinkerer's dream. I did hold a VX3 in my hands and at least see it function and even though it was a stripped down version of the V3i it appealed to me. Unfortunately at the time it was simply too heavy for a man that just had a car accident injury (my wife was also peeved that I snuck it in under the radar). White's made unique detectors for a very long time. But things did become stagnant.

Can you imaging what it would have been like to see the V4i?? Using modern surface mount miniaturized board design with more power efficient design, tight tolerance SM components, a high resolution display like those today on tablets but smaller and in full color, running 4 frequencies simultaneously instead of 3, carbon fiber rods, enhanced shielded coils with heavy coil wire to control box, a replaceable Lithium-ion battery pack, and best of all wireless built-in that uses ANY Low latency bluetooth headphones?? Now such a beast WOULD make a difference and WOULD have sold. It would have been White's way of preserving history while moving forward with the V Series Legacy.

What could have been..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iam sorry i do not see anywhere he said anything about sourcing foreign parts.ive have only ever used there products, brad

almost 100% of electrical components come from China. It doesnt matter where the components are built into circuit boards, the parts are Chinese.

phrunt

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of electronic circuit components during 2019.

Hong Kong: US$134.5 billion (18.7% of exported electronic circuit components)
China: $102.2 billion (14.2%)
Taiwan: $100.4 billion (13.9%)
South Korea: $79.1 billion (11%)
Singapore: $76.9 billion (10.7%)
Malaysia: $44.8 billion (6.2%)
United States: $40.1 billion (5.6%)
Japan: $27.8 billion (3.9%)
Vietnam: $26.1 billion (3.6%)
Philippines: $19 billion (2.6%)
Germany: $14.9 billion (2.1%)
Netherlands: $14.6 billion (2%)
France: $7.7 billion (1.1%)
Thailand: $7.6 billion (1.1%)
Ireland: $7.2 billion (1%)

The listed 15 countries shipped 97.5% of global electronic circuit components exported in 2019 by value.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly sad. If they would make an updated Spectra which was more streamlined and weatherproof I would buy it.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what kind of retail market share Kellyco in FL has, but I have purchased three units from them. In their article on "Best Detectors" is the following pie chart. I personally find it interesting that I bought White's flagship unit on reputation alone without researching any other manufacturers. After many hours of research, You Tube videos, and forum threads, I purchased the Nox 800 ten months later. whites4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread