Whites Metal Detectors Going Out Of Business

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
leafshadowhorz.png

American Made Metal Detectors since 1950

[email protected] • 1-888-666-6121

Upvote 1

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda wonder who's next? A lot of lost advertising dollars. Won't be long before forums like T-net start charging money to participate. Maybe someday things will change and someone will come up with the "dream machine" that can hit gold and ignore aluminum. Maybe somebody will get wise and help me with the Contraption.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not long after the Apex release, makes me wonder if its more about technology then Chinese counterfeit instruments...:icon_scratch::dontknow:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad that we cant keep up with metal detector technology.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad news. Never owned one but I appreciate their products. I know a couple guys with MXTs that don't seem to miss much.

I probably would have owned one but the semi-local dealer was "by appointment" and I lost two half day vacation afternoons because he was a no show both times - so I gave up on him.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
If they had just got with the program and adapted to change. Perhaps someone will buy the name and make a new go at their business model. This really sucks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkeys uncle, please keep political comments out of posts.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing on their website indicates this. Where is the source of this information?

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
wow ,this really sucks ,i have 4 of there detectors and my brand new gmt is not working right.
brad

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If they had just got with the program and adapted to change. Perhaps someone will buy the name and make a new go at their business model. This really sucks.

Nobody bought Tesoro, nobody is going to buy Whites, either, because their business model doesn't work anymore.
Great names just don't mean as much as they used to, you would like to think they do but the sad reality is they don't if there are no modern and new popular products behind them.
Especially important in a niche hobby like this one.
Both companies had rabid, loyal fans, both companies had legendary service but that wasn't enough.
In this day and age you either innovate or you fade away and neither company did that for years so they both had great runs but it's over.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy the counterfeit excuse but I will tell you I received as a gift a pin-pointer that looks nearly identical to the TRX pinpointer by Whites from Amazon and it made me wonder if Whites was using Chinese mold shops to produce their products. Its also possible they used an American mold shop that outsources to China which is pretty much the standard these days.

I've owned the V3i and MX5 and they were both very good machines but I haven't really seen anything from them in the last 5 years that looked interesting. I'll never understand why they didn't just make the V3i lighter with a new battery, modern processor, possibly a little less complex, and waterproof and they would have sold like hotcakes! That machine in a simplex shell - perfect!

Either way its a sad day :( I hate to see those great employees lose their jobs - I have followed them on facebook and they are very supportive of the community.

HH
Eman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of counterfeit Whites sold on EBay, I have reported several myself. Seen counterfeit Minelabs too.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I hate to hear that. White made a good and durable machine.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that IS sad news!! I never ran one, but I am a fossil from when Garrett and Whites ruled the detector market and they were really all one could choose from. I ended up with a Garrett because that's what the civil war hunters I knew preferred. Hopefully some of their employees will have a repair business for all you Whites guys.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to find a Surfmaster PI Pro to change it up with the Nox on the beach. I guess now that’ll go by the wayside.
Best of luck to all the Whites employees.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad they are closing, White brand was the first detector that I owned. But with all the competition out there, you had to see it coming, for the most part their detectors are heavy, when the come out with a new product, it is simply a rebranded older model (24k, TDI) to name a couple. The competition is now multi-freq. Fisher is developing a lighter Pulse induction(water proof).

What will be next, my bet is on the Auto industry, which will lead to less highway construction, the Jetson's vehicle is just around the corner.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It is sad they are closing, White brand was the first detector that I owned. But with all the competition out there, you had to see it coming, for the most part their detectors are heavy, when the come out with a new product, it is simply a rebranded older model (24k, TDI) to name a couple. The competition is now multi-freq. Fisher is developing a lighter Pulse induction(water proof).

What will be next, my bet is on the Auto industry, which will lead to less highway construction, the Jetson's vehicle is just around the corner.
I just wish VW would bring out a new split window VW Bus and I’d be happy. Make sure it’s electric.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly sad news. It is part of my history. I am 57 now. Back in the 1970's as a young teen, my Dad bought me my first detector, a White's Coinmaster (4D). I became an expert with that detector, an old TR. Hand salute.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish VW would bring out a new split window VW Bus and I’d be happy. Make sure it’s electric.

My father bought one of the first VW buses in the country in 1956. It was a simple Kombie as we were sorta poor, it had no interior panels in the back and was coooold in the winter. When he got a much better job in 1961 we got a brand new 23 window deluxe in 1962. I quit college in 1967 and became a VW mechanic and bought and repaired about ten more to sell in the next few years, some non-sunroof and some more deluxes. Loved those things!! Spartan and could not keep up with traffic on big hills but hey, who needed to be in a hurry? Now immaculate restored versions can run over a hundred grand. I had saved two rust free 23 window ones into the late 80s, but I lost my storage and sadly sold them for a song. Nowadays it would be hard to replicate due to "safety" standards. I still have some windows for a 23 window and a few jalousy windows new for a camper. A few other parts I need to find a buyer for. Damn I loved those cars!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread