cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 1 in the dry, and Beach 2 in the wet are the most common modes I use. If you want both gold and silver, you can't really discriminate out any non-ferrous signal. I run all metal at the beach myself. Mostly 50 tone, iron bias on F2 @5 or higher for good bottle cap rejection, recovery speed at 3-5 in the dry for depth....5 or higher in the wet for stability. Sensitivity as high as I can and still stay stable. On my beaches, that usually means around 20.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Elliott,

More important than settings is when you are in the wet sand or surf and are finding lots of lights stuff like pop tops and fishing lures it is time to hunt elsewhere. When finding lead weights and corroded coins like pennies and nickels then slow your hunt down and stay in that area for that is where you will likely find rings.

Also you can discrim out pop tops, bottle tops and bobby pins in the dry sand if they become a problem. On the dry sand hunt the towel line from the previous day. There is a pattern you can see when someone is laying on a towel and leaves.
Often when an afternoon thunderstorm comes up the girls just grab their towels and run for shelter. Sometimes dumping their jewelry that they forgot they had on the towel.

Good luck and have fun.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly Elliott there is no detector in the world that can do what you ask. No detector can be set to find only rings and no detector can be set to only find gold or silver. Silver in jewelry or coin size can be fairly easy to ID but larger conductive targets like melted aluminum cans, big chunks of iron, and even certain rusty nails will give "silver" IDs. When it comes to gold, well gold comes in different alloys and the same size ring in 10K will ID differently than a similar ring in 18K. The real problem with gold is that it's conductivity is very similar to aluminum and lead and no detector can tell the difference. Detectors do NOT tell you what kind of metal they see, they only measure the conductivity of the item and their little computers guess as to what it is based on a coin sized object. Since Gold, aluminum, and lead all have similar conductivity all detectors see those metals as the same. Cudamark gives you great advice, and it is what many use, but it will not make it so you find only gold or silver rings, that is not possible. Gold hunters dig the most trash and have the patience to dig many junk signals to find that one piece of gold. Do you have a good long handle beach scoop? They really help hunting in the sand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you That will really help. I've tried before years past with a intro detector. I know all well about people greasing themselves up and flinging off rings without even knowing till later. I'm going down the day after the 4th. So I'm hopeful that will be better odds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info. I have learned most of what your saying. I've been practicing in a old volleyball court. Running in beach 2 I found that 3" bronze girls soccer medallion. So yes, I won't always find what I'm looking for. I'm reading the book on the Equinox series by Andy Sabisch also. I understand there is no "one " magic setting based on...well pretty much every involved element. In the book Matthew Tomaini's chart for his narrowing it down to help is even is what you are saying.
It's a good start. Thanks everyone. I hope to have some good finds to post soon after.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read all you want but nothing replaces experience. Don't try to out science your detector. Find settings that work for you and are not annoying. I learned if you try and tweak it to much you lose ground. Many guys would probably tell me I could do better if I changed my settings but not many guys have ever found as much as me hour for hour of detecting. There are a lot of very smart people on here with lots of experience and anytime I see their names I read what they say. At times I have found changing from 5 to 50 tones made all the difference in the world. Sometimes changing Iron bias or sensitivity by one number helps. I have both an Equinox 800 and 600 and the settings on each are similar but different. My 600 slays parks and fields and my 800 slays the beach and woods

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions