Love, Hate Relationship with E-trac

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at buying a used E-trac. I have a couple of other detectors that work well for what I bought them for (Tarsacci for beaches and areas with highly mineralized ground, and the Simplex for parks).With the E-trac I am looking to set up a custom program to locate silver coins. As I get older, it's not really realistic for me to dig up everything (by back starts to act up), and being in the state of California, if you MD at a site with any foot traffic and they see a shovel, you are likely to run into some resistance. However, with that said, there are people who absolutely love it and those that feel the opposite. What is your opinion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello CalReg,

I've used the Minelab Explorer series detectors and like the eTrac they are silver magnets. All the machines mentioned are heavy and slow, but they do not miss much! I have used the eTrac and enjoyed it; in my experience it's really an Explorer SE series with more features. In my mind they have the sweetest sound for silver. If you purchase an eTrac, buy a RnB Innovation battery pack, you will not be sorry.

Doc

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello CalReg,

I've used the Minelab Explorer series detectors and like the eTrac they are silver magnets. All the machines mentioned are heavy and slow, but they do not miss much! I have used the eTrac and enjoyed it; in my experience it's really an Explorer SE series with more features. In my mind they have the sweetest sound for silver. If you purchase an eTrac, buy a RnB Innovation battery pack, you will not be sorry.

Doc

Thanks for the battery pack advice Doc!

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's your back you're worried about you may want to consider the weight of the e trac

chub

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Chub,

If you your back hurts from the weight of detecting, you could try a harness. Minelab makes a killer one, but a simple cheap one is the detector pro.
Both relieve about 85 - 90 % of the detector weight. I used one for awhile when my arm was bothering me; could swing for 8 hours with no problem.

Regards,

Doc

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you your back hurts from the weight of detecting, you could try a harness. Minelab makes a killer one, but a simple cheap one is the detector pro.

I second this recommendation. The Etrac was an elbow cranker for me - so I sold it when I got the CTX which is much easier on old muscles.....

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite a few people have mentioned the weight, so I looked it up, and the Minelab site says it weighs 3.9 pounds which is about a pound heavier than the Tarsacci. I'll give it whirl and see how it goes. If I find the weight to be a detriment, I might check out a harness...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CalReg,

Doc

100% agree with Doc, get the RnB battery, you won't be sorry. You should look into downloading the free software called, "E-Trac Emulator". It will teach you how to set-up the E-TRAC and you will see how it responds to various targets.

Here's a link... The Beep Goes On

Let me know if you have any questions about using the emulator software.

I have done well with my E-TRAC and particularly like setting it up for deep silver. Don't get hung up on believing that the FE (ferrous) number for a coin will always be around a "12". That is true for an air test. I dug an 1857 seated quarter that was a full 10" deep and had a nail at about 6" deep off to the side of the quarter and the E-TRAC showed a "20-46" instead of a "12-46". The deeper the target is there will be mineralized material between the target and the coin and that will affect the FE number displayed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the E-trac also, but, the Equinox is a better all around machine, and it's a lot lighter.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend and myself both own etracs. Both equipped with aftermarket coils. They’re ok but just can’t get the depth that the Explorer II or SE Pro does.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Come on ....I think the E-trac goes just deep!......it's all about the tones....

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, just received the E-Trac and a couple observations. After putting it together and swinging it, it doesn't seem that heavy, so at this point I'm not looking at buying a harness. Secondly, setting up custom programs and saving them took a few tries, but I now have one program for silver coins, another for jewelry and a third for clad only. Looking forward to hitting an older park tomorrow (barbecuing for the Fourth, so I can't go out today). Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Etrac is a coin hog but heavy to swing. You can customize to suit you and it is a deep seeker. Not unusual to hit coins at 8" depending on the soil of course. After the 1st couple of days I could barely swing it then I got used to it but when the Equinox came out I gave it to my grandson..

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Fresno. I have had a number of machines over the years and the E-Trac still is my go to machine for most sites. My suggestion is to get a few different coils to suit the places you are detecting. If it’s really an iron infested site, use a small coil and the two tone ferrous setting. I’ve found some of my best finds this way. Also, the recovery speed isn’t as fast as some machines, so just go slow and really listen to the tones. It’ll take a numbers of hours to get everything dialed in, but once you do you should be killing it wherever you are hunting. Keep us updated as to what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread