Detector Advice Please - High Mineralized Ground - Vanquish 540 / Nox 600?

nalgene77

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone!

I'm getting back into dirt fishing after a 4 year break here in British Columbia Canada and that's where the highly mineralized ground comes into play. I've had good luck in the past with the XP Deus, but the target ID's were useless. It was however great for iron separation.

My biggest interest is old coins and jewelry in parks followed by relics and then shore water hunting. At first I thought the Minelab Vanquish would be a good choice but after talking to a local dealer they felt the machine wouldn't be a strong contender.

This leaves me strongly considering an Equinox 600 or 800 but the 600 seems to check off all of the boxes at a lower price and includes a Pro-Find 20 Pin-pointer. Am I missing out on not getting the 800 or would the Vanquish 540 be fine?

I'm open to other models, so please offer your recommendations. I'd like to keep the budget under $1500.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. :)

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both are great in your soil.:skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your budget, I'd get the 800. More adjustability can't hurt in bad ground. With the Gold mode in the 800, it gives you some important options.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 800 is worth the wireless headphones for the different in price plus the extra features

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread