CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All,

It's getting tough to hunt here in California. Summer is taking hold and the ground is becoming really hard and dry. I've gone out a few times in the past week and the plugs are just falling apart. Needless to say, when I put them back in place, they look less than ideal. Added to that, with the rise in Covid 19 cases in the state, the governor has closed most of the beaches again. Help! I'm running out of places to MD! Any ideas??

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop hunting lawns when it gets too dry. Hunting in the woods is a good alternative since one can use a shovel and nobody in the woods cares if your hole is filled and covered. Of course I am in NY and have a lot of woods around, don't know how far you'd have to go to find wooded huntable areas.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,

It's getting tough to hunt here in California. Summer is taking hold and the ground is becoming really hard and dry. I've gone out a few times in the past week and the plugs are just falling apart. Needless to say, when I put them back in place, they look less than ideal. Added to that, with the rise in Covid 19 cases in the state, the governor has closed most of the beaches again. Help! I'm running out of places to MD! Any ideas??

Carry a canteen of water with you. When you put the dry plug back in, douse it with a good amount of water. At least the plug will hold together and might even recover. :hello2:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried this, it is not at all practical. Takes too much water, more than one can comfortably carry if you are going to dig much. A quart canteen might do two to four holes at best, gonna need at least a half pint (one cup) per hole, dry soil really soaks it up. Also as CalReg says the plugs sometimes fall apart while making them and there is no way to make them stick back together. A gallon of water weighs eight pounds and you'd only get enough for eight to sixteen holes from it. It is best to avoid digging lawns when they are really dry unless it is your own lawn. Just a part of responsible hunting practices.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s tough to find a place to hunt when one is a beach hunter these days. I’m learning how to play a lap steel guitar during these times. Good luck out there!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stay up there.......our beaches are crowded enough! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread