Who has a test garden and what is in it??

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeing what you guys may have in your test bed.

Here is my stuff

beaver tail from pop top @ 3"

ring from pop top @ 3"

square pull tab @ 3"

bottle cap @ 3"

old shot gun brass @ 3"

complete pull tab @ 3"

CW eagle cuff button back @ 3"

CW small shot from buck and ball @ 5"

modern nickel @ 10.5"

Clad dime @ 7.5"

zinc penny @ 4"

wheat penny @ 5"

clad quarter @ 5"

silver dime @ 5"

buffalo nickel @ 5"

CW camp lead and large square nail right next to each other for separation test at about 3"

I need to add a coin with a trash item next to each other as well but have not gotten around to that yet. I am very surprised at how well this helps me test out different settings and features. I do not know how much some of you have thought about making a test bed but if you have not tried it yet, it sure helps you out getting to know your machine!!

Anyways just sharing thoughts and ideas. What do some of you guys have??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

michealwhelan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Traverse City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigtim, I am just getting back into MD and was trying to figure out a good setup. Yours is sweet. Questions, why do you have no large silver such as a half or even a quarter? Is something else the equivalent? How are you marking the spot on the ground? Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did but dug it up. Before I lost my stuff in the ground. My lawn guy sometimes "shaves" the top of the ground and wrecks the markers. I trust my machine and now don't see the need for one anymore. For my Cibola, I don't do a garden for it either.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest on the large silver halves or dollars they ring up about the same as a clad Kennedy half dollar.

That is why I did not do the halves and dollars.

I have a few silver halves and dollars but I do not have the heart to bury them again!!

I need to add one more target in my test bed for sure and that would be a dime next to some square nails.

I mark my targets with white golf tees.

They are low enough that my mower goes right over them and they stay put.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a test garden but no matter how many silver coins I planted, I just couldn't get any of them to grow.:tongue3:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have various coins at various depths (clad & silver), and a one ounce musket ball at 16". Also some clad coins under or about 3" below but just beside various trash items like nails and pull tabs and bottle caps so I can see what speed or settings work best and how such things sound from various sweep angles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread