Stagecoach and bank robbery back in early days

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d think it was rather easy to rob a stagecoach, why you simply out number them, probably unfortunately killed the folks took the money and rode on. What did they normally do hide the money and come back or take it with them. Anyone know, and banks same thing. Today’s world you ain’t getting away with it because of to much technology please give me your opinions I’m interested on the Wild West days. They rob move on and rob again or build a cabin and live off the land, thankyou

Upvote 0

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d think it was rather easy to rob a stagecoach, why you simply out number them, probably unfortunately killed the folks took the money and rode on. What did they normally do hide the money and come back or take it with them. Anyone know, and banks same thing. Today’s world you ain’t getting away with it because of to much technology please give me your opinions I’m interested on the Wild West days. They rob move on and rob again or build a cabin and live off the land, thankyou
A lot of them did hide the money. Some robbed again and again like Black Bart and some of them just robbed once and got a big loot

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There were robberies by large gangs. One occurred not far from my place. Killed everybody on the stage, and the loots never been recovered. But most stage robberies were 1 or two guys. Wells Fargo tried to stop that by only hauling large gold ingots. About 125lbs. Made it really difficult to haul very far and still evade the posse. There were two of those robberies near me, too. In one case the robbers threw the bars into a creek. Years later a cowboy happened upon one of the three bars. The other two have never been recovered. The other robbery's loot has also not been recovered. The robber was caught, but outsmarted the posse, and escaped. He left Idaho, and eventually died in prison in Arizona, or New Mexico. Years later his prison buddy showed up in the area of the robbery with a map. he spent the summer searching, but never found the gold.
Jim

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the story!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the true stories of yesteryear, people robbed on horseback rode away or hid the money and the stories continue

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in that era you could only travel as fast as your horse could. And if the horse was hauling you, your guns and gear that strong box and the heavy silver or gold coin within were going to slow you down. If your horse threw a shoe or came up lame you were a gonner. I would imagine a "highwayman" had to plan carefully the exact spot where they would stop the stage far enough away from towns or way stations, calculated to give you a good head start, then you would have had to rest your horse, you can't run a horse full bore at a gallop but for so long or it gives out. So hiding the box or the heavy coin would always be a good idea. Me....I'd hide it around some rocks or someplace where my footprints or horseshoe prints wouldn't show. Never want to dig and leave exposed earth for the posse following you to find. I'll hazzard a guess and say within 10 to 15 miles you would have had to stop and rest your horse, water up etc depending on how hard you were riding.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a bit of History for you as well. The Last recorded TRAIN ROBBERY in the USA took place about 10 miles from where I live Back in 1949. It was a comedy of errors with the police running out of Gas and the bandits pawning their stolen loot in Washington DC getting caught a few days later.

The site is close to I-81 and probably rock cliff drive ear Martinsburg WV.

https://www.amazon.com/Bedlam-West-Virginia-Rails-Bandit/dp/1626198934

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread