[Video] Plz help me figure out why I cannot find this target! ty!

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was three hours into digging around and I got pretty sweaty and exhausted from the heat (90s and humid) so maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Maybe the target is just crap?

I swing the detector one way and it picks up 90s beep at about 8". The other way it picks up hardly anything. Maybe a coin on its ridge?

The hole is over 8" deep and my pinpointer is getting nothing at all. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough . . . I kinda ran out of steam.

It seems weird, like the beep is moving. Should I go back and dig it up? Or is it just crap? Or do I just suck at finding targets??

Any advice on technique? I was trying to use the tip of the coil to pinpoint the location of the target. Pinpoint mode wasn't happening.

Upvote 0

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would venture to say that it's a bigger deeper solid target. What ur dealing with seems that way

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big iron has a tendency to be off from where the metal detector says it is, I would say its deeper and off to the one side, the depth meter is not accurate because the size of the object is throwing it off...

Could be a belt plate maybe a buried jar of gold coins, maybe a sewer pipe...

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Turn your iron audio on and you will see that the target is a very large target and you are catching a high cherp off the end of a long signal. When you hit your pinpoint and the tone kept on going as you swept to the right (you south paw!) if you would have kept sweeping to the right eventually the tone would have fallen off.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn your iron audio on and you will see that the target is a very large target and you are catching a high cherp off the end of a long signal. When you hit your pinpoint and the tone kept on going as you swept to the right (you south paw!) if you would have kept sweeping to the right eventually the tone would have fallen off.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be a large target at all. But that makes sense. I found a very old pipe sticking up out of the ground and the old map showed a homestead here. So I think it will be a good place to hunt. ty!

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big iron has a tendency to be off from where the metal detector says it is, I would say its deeper and off to the one side, the depth meter is not accurate because the size of the object is throwing it off...

Could be a belt plate maybe a buried jar of gold coins, maybe a sewer pipe...

I am going to err on the side of old sewer pipe . . . . lol lol

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it gives you a depth, its a coin sized target. When you dig 10" and it says its less than that. Its something big down there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing the coil 6"-12" above the hole to see if it still rings out. if it does, it's something deep. If you want to dig it, fill the hole full of water and come back after it soaks in.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if I even remotely thought it was civil war belt buckle I would not stop until I knew that it was.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also.. maybe not the case with garret but with my mxt you can get hot rocks when having mixed signals... for future reference.. glad you found your pipe this time :icon_thumleft:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely get the "ran out of steam" bit. :P Might I recommend a detecting shovel, if it's appropriate for your location. It makes all the difference, especially in hot dry conditions.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread