Brandon Park Williamsport, PA??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ugly_plugs
  • 1 Post By nuggetdog
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By nuggetdog
  • 1 Post By jeff of pa
  • 1 Post By nuggetdog
  • 3 Post By cudamark

Thread: Brandon Park Williamsport, PA??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jan 2020
    PA - Pennsylvania
    Minelab Vanquish 540 Nokta Makro Simplex Garrett Ace 400
    20
    28 times
    Metal Detecting

    Brandon Park Williamsport, PA??

    Has anyone here detected at Brandon Park in Williamsport? Is it still allowed? Thanks
    Terry Soloman likes this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    10,661
    8796 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    You should be able to look the rules up. They're not a secret and should be posted on the government site that owns that property, be it city, town, county, or state. No mention of detecting? Great! Go for it responsibly. Leave the place looking as good if not better than you found it. Use proper methods of target recovery (trap door plugs in the turf) and take with you any trash you uncover. Good luck!
    ​Avitech Associate

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    17,491
    24855 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly_plugs View Post
    Has anyone here detected at Brandon Park in Williamsport? Is it still allowed? Thanks
    I think I've been up in the wooded area away from the ball fields with a detectorist that lives there (he is a member here) a couple years ago, but there are so many other places you could hit in that area. Way historical. Good luck!

  4. #4
    us
    Jan 2020
    PA - Pennsylvania
    Minelab Vanquish 540 Nokta Makro Simplex Garrett Ace 400
    20
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I think I've been up in the wooded area away from the ball fields with a detectorist that lives there (he is a member here) a couple years ago, but there are so many other places you could hit in that area. Way historical. Good luck!
    Thanks for the replies. I grew up near there, but now live 90 minutes away, so I am trying to get some info before wasting a drive.

    I contacted the recreation department, who then directed me to the codes department lol.

  5. #5
    us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    174
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I asked the city administrator by email if the town where I live allowed metal detecting, he got back to me the next day and said he couldn’t find any codes that prohibited it, permission granted
    jeff of pa likes this.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    10,661
    8796 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    I asked the city administrator by email if the town where I live allowed metal detecting, he got back to me the next day and said he couldn’t find any codes that prohibited it, permission granted
    But, now you got them thinking about it though.....
    gunsil likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

  7. #7
    us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    174
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yup, damed if ya do, damed if ya don’t. Same affect if the city asks you to leave because they see what your doing or people complain that there is someone digging up the parks. At least I have the email on my phone stating there is no code against it.
    jeff of pa likes this.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    10,661
    8796 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If the city asks you to leave, having an email isn't going to negate that. If they ask you to leave, and you refuse because you think you can just wave your permission slip, they'll just have the police remove you, and let a judge decide. It's better if nobody knows you're there, or have been. Someone complaining is not going to look at your email either if they have it in mind that you're doing something wrong. Knowing what the rules are is all you're really after, and that can be found by looking them up yourself. Asking someone for permission, presumes to them that for some reason you NEED permission, or why would you be asking. That gives them the power to decide. Well, guess what the usual answer is? Yes, and they put their butt on the line. No, and they're safe from criticism from superiors. What do you think the majority of them will say?
    ​Avitech Associate

  9. #9

    Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    72,328
    39648 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    I asked the city administrator by email if the town where I live allowed metal detecting, he got back to me the next day and said he couldn’t find any codes that prohibited it, permission granted
    WOW The first Half of That Scared Me.
    Usually People in Power Like to Push their Power for Evil !

    Especially when they can do it from Afar.

    Congrats !

    Don't Double check ! Just Enjoy !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jul 30, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
    nuggetdog likes this.

  10. #10

    Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    72,328
    39648 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    Yup, damed if ya do, damed if ya don’t. Same affect if the city asks you to leave because they see what your doing or people complain that there is someone digging up the parks. At least I have the email on my phone stating there is no code against it.
    Yep ! Most likely the closest Code will be destruction of Natural Ground Cover or removal of Items from the Park,
    Which shouldn't effect you, But A-Holes may Try if you call them on it.
    the rules like that are to Prevent Theft of Garden Flowers, Grass Plots, & Picnic Tables. But Just Enjoy ! & Good Hunting !

  11. #11
    us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    174
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Brandon Park Williamsport, PA??

    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    If the city asks you to leave, having an email isn't going to negate that. If they ask you to leave, and you refuse because you think you can just wave your permission slip, they'll just have the police remove you, and let a judge decide. It's better if nobody knows you're there, or have been. Someone complaining is not going to look at your email either if they have it in mind that you're doing something wrong. Knowing what the rules are is all you're really after, and that can be found by looking them up yourself. Asking someone for permission, presumes to them that for some reason you NEED permission, or why would you be asking. That gives them the power to decide. Well, guess what the usual answer is? Yes, and they put their butt on the line. No, and they're safe from criticism from superiors. What do you think the majority of them will say?
    Actually the majority of them have thanked me for asking and then said it’s okay, sounds like you’ve had some bad experiences with people, the way I look at it is if I don’t own the property I NEED to ask and get permission to avoid any potential negative interactions. So far so good🤞
    Last edited by nuggetdog; Jul 31, 2020 at 07:53 AM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    10,661
    8796 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    On private property I would agree. Public property has posted rules. No need to ask if there's nothing against it. And I DO own the public land, along with all the other tax payers. It's just dealing with the people who manage it that can be a hassle. You've been lucky so far, and I hope it continues. Frankly, I've have better luck asking permission from private property owners than government officials. (when permission is needed)
    ​Avitech Associate

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. like to get together with other Williamsport MDers
    By ole_grisley in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2016, 12:56 PM
  2. New member from Williamsport,Pa.
    By pa. detector in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2013, 09:48 PM
  3. Historic Williamsport
    By TeddyB1967 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Dec 07, 2009, 06:14 PM
  4. Is there anywhere to detect in Williamsport?
    By deagleye in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2008, 11:09 PM
  5. Those In or around Williamsport
    By TeddyB1967 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 05, 2008, 11:31 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0