Capt.D

Jul 24, 2020
Sailboat Cruising the Mediterranean
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I’m new to this site, I live on a sailboat and I just sailed to Malta. I’m looking to buy a Garrett sea hunter mark ii and do some scuba diving in these popular anchorages. Does anyone know if it is allowed? I’m having a hard time finding information about the laws here. I saw that Malta banned imports of detectors but I found a company that gave me a quote and said it would take 2 weeks to arrive.

Any info would be helpful.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I would imagine the laws regarding metal detecting and antiquities would be posted somewhere. You'd probably need to be fluent in the language or hire someone who is to interpret the law correctly. Hopefully someone here has done the research for you. Good Luck! Lots of history in that part of the world. Not sure the Sea Hunter would be my first choice, but, it's good bang for the buck.....or Euro! Be prepared to dig EVERYTHING as PI machines like yours don't discriminate. If there's lots of iron and/or aluminum junk, it will drive you crazy.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I’m new to this site, I live on a sailboat and I just sailed to Malta. I’m looking to buy a Garrett sea hunter mark ii and do some scuba diving in these popular anchorages. Does anyone know if it is allowed? I’m having a hard time finding information about the laws here. I saw that Malta banned imports of detectors but I found a company that gave me a quote and said it would take 2 weeks to arrive.

Any info would be helpful.

Malta. Any metal detecting by individuals is forbidden. However, there are options when local authorities give permission for reasonable pay-off.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be a ton of iron junk and spent munitions in the water around the island from all the bombing, strafing, air raids, and defense against them during WW2. That place really got hammered!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I’m new to this site, I live on a sailboat and I just sailed to Malta...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Capt.D!

tn_link.gif
2nd - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found Hi from Malta (Nov 07, 2013). Now, his last post was December 2016 but maybe he still gets e-mail notifications if you PM him for info. Here was his post relating to hunting:

Hi guys I'm tony from Malta,moved here two years ago from Scotland.Been detecting on and off since the 70s. Detecting is not allowed here,but can do the beaches so that's what I do. At the moment I'm using a minelab x terra and a Tesoro cutlass,the cutlass is fantastic,I bought the Minelab with the coins of the beach.Cheers

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread