MDing public schools

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
School isn't in session so I tried to md a public school during the day. Gates were open, but a custodian said I wasn't allowed--that I needed to have "official school business". In 6 years this is only the 2nd time I haven't been allowed at a public school(both times were custodians giving me the bad news). Regretfully, I argued with the guy and he finally said it was because of covid-19. I was wondering what others' experiences have been in mding public schools. BTW, I've MD'd schools many, many times and no one has ever said anything(non-school hours, of course, with open gates). Schools have always been my go-to property(especially this school), so I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunday morning at sunrise. Use your head, and only go when you won't be harassed. :skullflag:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you pay public taxes for schools in your area like we do here in Canada, then he can’t stop the public from going on the school grounds. If it is because of Covid there should be signs posted. I’ve been hunting schools, parks and beaches this summer, nobody bothering me. He has no right to tell you to leave a public place. Unless it’s posted that grounds are off limits for Covid, then I’d tell him go call the cops cause you’re doing nothing wrong.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No covid signs posted. The school is paid for with public taxes, which is the argument I used. Getting cops involved is probably my least favorite option as there are many who are loose cannons. No telling what they might do. It wouldn't surprise me if I got arrested or ticketed for trespassing(as crazy as that sounds, it's not uncommon) The motto for southern Arizona is "came here on vacation, left on probation". I REALLY don't like dealing with cops. But at some point I gotta make a stand against these loose cannon custodians. LOL.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yup. I agree. Make a stand. You can’t be charged for trespassing on public property unless signs are posted to the public and the cops have no reason to arrest you. If they do it wouldn’t stand up in court. I would go back and tell him you have every right to be here just as anyone. I would ask, him is he responsible and in charge for keeping everyone off the grounds do to Covid? I would even go talk to the school board or your trustee and get permission above him.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have NEVER been told I couldn't hunt a public school. Rather than argue with the guy, just go when they aren't there...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, make a stand.....and guess what will happen. Next time you're there, there will be signs saying No Trespassing, Off Limits, Closed, Etc. And your tax money will be paying for those signs too. Best to stay off their radar and just hit the place when the custodian isn't there, and leave no trace that you were.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Can’t put no trespassing signs on school grounds. School grounds are open to anyone and everyone

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be a richard. Making a stand is just stupid. Use your head, not your anger.:skullflag:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my start metal detecting schools back in 1990 with an ace 250 . had a great time and no one said a thing .
ALL schools in my county are now posted NO TRESPASSING . I have been stopped and warned and don't intend to try my luck and push the issue.
all you guys with the advice of make a stand , they can't stop you , may end up with a criminal record one day if you follow that line of thought .
ALL schools in my county have numerous cameras being watched by the county E.O.C .
even if it's not posted they will say you are destroying the turf.
I would love to hit the old schools for some silver but not willing to get in trouble for it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t put no trespassing signs on school grounds. School grounds are open to anyone and everyone

Sure they can......and have in many areas. Most of our schools here are completely fenced now and not even open on the weekends anymore. They claim is for security, and I'm sure some it can be attributed to that sort of worry, but, being a PITA with school officials and groundskeepers/custodians is more likely.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Children have vandalized schools for many years. when I was a teen a local boy got some gas from his dads gas station and burned the school .
if it's hot and dry and you cut a plug the grass may die , resulting in damage to the turf in the eye of the law.
I'm sure laws and views on metal detecting the schools vary from one location to the next.
when the cops stopped me while metal detecting at the school they said nothing to some boys playing basket ball .
they boys may have been students there and they weren't digging holes.
I'm all for it but not one to invite trouble into my life.

Last edited:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand when school is in session (creepers and pedos and such) but when there are no students what harm can you do? I think its often people on a power trip looking for someone to bully who run you off.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can’t be charged for trespassing on public property unless signs are posted to the public and the cops have no reason to arrest you. If they do it wouldn’t stand up in court.

Unfortunately this is completely untrue. All states have different laws written on the books, and in some states you can be arrested for trespassing regardless of posted signs, depending on the type of property, if it’s surrounded by a fence, etc, with many different variables at hand.

Also, a school isn’t considered “public property.” Yes, taxpayers do fund it, but public funds are also used for courthouses, jails, Department of Motor Vehicles officers, Social Security offices, post offices, and so on and so on. People can’t just walk in and out of those properties as they please, and school grounds are no different. I work in the law field and am intimately familiar with criminal statutes, at least those in my state.

My suggestion, as others have already said, is to hunt a school ground early on a weekend morning when the odds of any employees being there is low. And if you are asked to leave, just comply with a smile. Otherwise detectorists can get bad reputations and one can ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time it happened with the custodian, I walked away without saying anything and haven't been back since. My only concern is there are so few properties to detect as it is that if we lose schools, there will be little fun left in the hobby. I've had little luck asking for permissions and parks are virtually hunted out. I do not live near a beach. There's an old boy scout camp(1920s) on top of the mountain which is accessible but that place has been blitzed to death by MD'ers over the years--takes the fun out of the hobby!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
First time it happened with the custodian, I walked away without saying anything and haven't been back since. My only concern is there are so few properties to detect as it is that if we lose schools, there will be little fun left in the hobby. I've had little luck asking for permissions and parks are virtually hunted out. I do not live near a beach. There's an old boy scout camp(1920s) on top of the mountain which is accessible but that place has been blitzed to death by MD'ers over the years--takes the fun out of the hobby!

As the old sayin' goes, "It sounds like you've been reading my mail." I share your pain.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several schools that I do visit on occasion. One in particular where even though it was the weekend the principal she came charging up in her SUV and jumped out and approached me hollering. She wanted to know what I was doing on her property. I politely told her that I had previously received permission from the school board and she calmed down. After I showed her the trash out of my finds pouch with rusty nails, screws, razor blades, bottle caps, and other things that would cause damage to a child if they fell on it the wrong way. All has been good ever since. communications is needed at times.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first clue should have been that the property was gated.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my area most schools have no trespassing dusk to dawn signs, haven't hit a school in quite a while but when I do its usually in the dark with a headband flashlight. Not because I am worried about custodians but because I can be assured I won't be interfering with playing, annoying kids and I like detecting in the dark.
I wouldn't "make a stand" and willingly get the cops involved, thats ridiculous advise. Surely he isn't there 24/7, just go there when he isn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread