MDing public schools
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: MDing public schools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Used the Fisher F2 for one year
    804 times
    Metal Detecting

MDing public schools

School isn't in session so I tried to md a public school during the day. Gates were open, but a custodian said I wasn't allowed--that I needed to have "official school business". In 6 years this is only the 2nd time I haven't been allowed at a public school(both times were custodians giving me the bad news). Regretfully, I argued with the guy and he finally said it was because of covid-19. I was wondering what others' experiences have been in mding public schools. BTW, I've MD'd schools many, many times and no one has ever said anything(non-school hours, of course, with open gates). Schools have always been my go-to property(especially this school), so I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    24831 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sunday morning at sunrise. Use your head, and only go when you won't be harassed.

Jul 2013
    1543 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you pay public taxes for schools in your area like we do here in Canada, then he canít stop the public from going on the school grounds. If it is because of Covid there should be signs posted. Iíve been hunting schools, parks and beaches this summer, nobody bothering me. He has no right to tell you to leave a public place. Unless itís posted that grounds are off limits for Covid, then Iíd tell him go call the cops cause youíre doing nothing wrong.
    7up2000 likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Used the Fisher F2 for one year
    804 times
    Metal Detecting
    No covid signs posted. The school is paid for with public taxes, which is the argument I used. Getting cops involved is probably my least favorite option as there are many who are loose cannons. No telling what they might do. It wouldn't surprise me if I got arrested or ticketed for trespassing(as crazy as that sounds, it's not uncommon) The motto for southern Arizona is "came here on vacation, left on probation". I REALLY don't like dealing with cops. But at some point I gotta make a stand against these loose cannon custodians. LOL.
    Irishgoldhound likes this.

Jul 2013
    1543 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yup. I agree. Make a stand. You canít be charged for trespassing on public property unless signs are posted to the public and the cops have no reason to arrest you. If they do it wouldnít stand up in court. I would go back and tell him you have every right to be here just as anyone. I would ask, him is he responsible and in charge for keeping everyone off the grounds do to Covid? I would even go talk to the school board or your trustee and get permission above him.
    7up2000 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Reg

May 2020
    San Jose, CA
    Tarsacci MDT 8000, Nokta Makro Simplex, Minelab E-Trac
    501 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have NEVER been told I couldn't hunt a public school. Rather than argue with the guy, just go when they aren't there...
    Estima8tor and Irishgoldhound like this.
    "The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." Oscar Wilde

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8789 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Sure, make a stand.....and guess what will happen. Next time you're there, there will be signs saying No Trespassing, Off Limits, Closed, Etc. And your tax money will be paying for those signs too. Best to stay off their radar and just hit the place when the custodian isn't there, and leave no trace that you were.
    ​Avitech Associate

Jul 2013
    1543 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Canít put no trespassing signs on school grounds. School grounds are open to anyone and everyone
    7up2000 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    24831 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Don't be a richard. Making a stand is just stupid. Use your head, not your anger.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2474 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I got my start metal detecting schools back in 1990 with an ace 250 . had a great time and no one said a thing .
    ALL schools in my county are now posted NO TRESPASSING . I have been stopped and warned and don't intend to try my luck and push the issue.
    all you guys with the advice of make a stand , they can't stop you , may end up with a criminal record one day if you follow that line of thought .
    ALL schools in my county have numerous cameras being watched by the county E.O.C .
    even if it's not posted they will say you are destroying the turf.
    I would love to hit the old schools for some silver but not willing to get in trouble for it

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8789 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    Can’t put no trespassing signs on school grounds. School grounds are open to anyone and everyone
    Sure they can......and have in many areas. Most of our schools here are completely fenced now and not even open on the weekends anymore. They claim is for security, and I'm sure some it can be attributed to that sort of worry, but, being a PITA with school officials and groundskeepers/custodians is more likely.
    ​Avitech Associate

Jul 2013
    1543 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I guess public schools can put up signs if people vandalized or wrecked property.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2474 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Children have vandalized schools for many years. when I was a teen a local boy got some gas from his dads gas station and burned the school .
    if it's hot and dry and you cut a plug the grass may die , resulting in damage to the turf in the eye of the law.
    I'm sure laws and views on metal detecting the schools vary from one location to the next.
    when the cops stopped me while metal detecting at the school they said nothing to some boys playing basket ball .
    they boys may have been students there and they weren't digging holes.
    I'm all for it but not one to invite trouble into my life.
    Last edited by ticndig; Jul 25, 2020 at 06:51 PM.

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    1004 times
    Metal Detecting
    I understand when school is in session (creepers and pedos and such) but when there are no students what harm can you do? I think its often people on a power trip looking for someone to bully who run you off.
    7up2000 likes this.
    The universe rewards the observant.

us
    May 2014
    Central California
    Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
    1990 times
    Metal Detecting

MDing public schools

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    You canít be charged for trespassing on public property unless signs are posted to the public and the cops have no reason to arrest you. If they do it wouldnít stand up in court.
    Unfortunately this is completely untrue. All states have different laws written on the books, and in some states you can be arrested for trespassing regardless of posted signs, depending on the type of property, if itís surrounded by a fence, etc, with many different variables at hand.

Also, a school isnít considered ďpublic property.Ē Yes, taxpayers do fund it, but public funds are also used for courthouses, jails, Department of Motor Vehicles officers, Social Security offices, post offices, and so on and so on. People canít just walk in and out of those properties as they please, and school grounds are no different. I work in the law field and am intimately familiar with criminal statutes, at least those in my state.

My suggestion, as others have already said, is to hunt a school ground early on a weekend morning when the odds of any employees being there is low. And if you are asked to leave, just comply with a smile. Otherwise detectorists can get bad reputations and one can ruin it for everyone.
    Last edited by sjvalleyhunter; Jul 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links