Shaohao

Jul 27, 2020
France
Detector(s) used
Midas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

About a year or so ago, I was using Midas detector - I was generally pleased with this equipment.
But then I bought Garrett 250 (based on good reviews). It was supposed to serve me only for small things (coins, rings).
I'm sorry to say but this equipment didn't work. The good thing is, you can sell it pretty quickly.
Even for coins or rings Midas was so much better! Mainly by larger range and the gold-red lamp indicator.

Garrett's vices:
It wasn't even able to reach to small things like coins. I even checked it on the beach and the distinction was very poor. It could be a good equipment for a beginner. If you set up a high sensitivity it squeaked almost all the time, but with a low sensitivity the range was very low.

Perhaps these problems were caused by a poor model choice or maybe it was me.

PS. I'm looking for something good searching for coins, gold (up to half a meter deep with good differentiation)

Upvote 0

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

About a year or so ago, I was using Midas detector - I was generally pleased with this equipment.
But then I bought Garrett 250 (based on good reviews). It was supposed to serve me only for small things (coins, rings).
I'm sorry to say but this equipment didn't work. The good thing is, you can sell it pretty quickly.
Even for coins or rings Midas was so much better! Mainly by larger range and the gold-red lamp indicator.

Garrett's vices:
It wasn't even able to reach to small things like coins. I even checked it on the beach and the distinction was very poor. It could be a good equipment for a beginner. If you set up a high sensitivity it squeaked almost all the time, but with a low sensitivity the range was very low.

PS. I'm looking for something good searching for coins, gold (up to half a meter deep with good differentiation)

I agree i used a Garrett ace 200 and 300 and they had awful depth and disc circuit. Then I upgraded to the Nokta Makro simplex+ which is waterproof to 10 feet with excellent depth and discrimination and many other features for only 250$! Look up the simplex and you’ll see what a great machine it is!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello!

Garrett's vices:

Welcome to the forum from New York, USA! The Garrett Ace 250 is a "New User," or "Beginner's" machine. It is a single frequency VLF, which means it is useless on wet, saltwater sand, or in saltwater. To hunt both saltwater beach and land, you need a multi-frequency machine like the Garrett Apex, or a Minelab Vanquish. Best of luck to you!:icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Terry said...

Ace 250 is a basic entry level detector, single frequency, salt is made up of metal minerals, ace 250 because it is single frequency will think there is metal everywhere when used below the high tide line on salt beaches causing it to constantly false, 250 was never designed to work in wet salt environments.

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an Ace 250 and quickly found that in wet grass the detector would false like crazy but on dry ground it did pretty well. Nevertheless, I sold it and now use the Garrett AT Models which work great and have an Ace 400 as a backup unit and it gives me no problems. All three detectors get excellent depth.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are describing with the 250, I had basically the same results with the 400.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck find a detector with good discrimination at half a meter deep.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first machine was an ace 250 back in 1990. I found plenty of school yard coins and civil war relics with it.
being my first machine I don't even know if it sucked. max depth was about 6'' on a dime though.
used that thing so much I wore a hole in the coil and traded it in on a silver Saber.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! “differentiation” at over 19” may be tough :)..
You may want to investigate a PI detector. Good luck!

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of commercial detectors are not even able to detect the average size coin at 1/2m. Look at Lorenz Z1 or similar professional system. Sit down firmly before looking at the price tag.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

me too, but unless it is a buried volkswagen, that ain't gonna happen with any metal detector. You need a deep seeking box dectector with huge square coils that you strap on.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging coins at half a meter? Well, not really. Modern consumer machines are not built for that. The only things you are likely to find at that depth are cannon balls, septic systems and car hoods. And yes, as has been said the machine you bought is a beginner's machine. Even a machine that costs $2000 US probably won't get a single small coin at 19".

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
For a turn on and generally works with little knowledge the Minelab Vanquish 540 is a good choice.

In general, no machine is going to find a coin at more than twice or three times the depth
of the coil diameter. Especially if it is on its side. Moisture and mineralization, and the technology
the machine uses will also influence its performance.

For a bigger target like an iron sewer pipe at 3' you might be in luck with a small coil.

If you are looking for a buried tank one of the Russian PI kits with a one meter on a side coil
of the correct electrical characteristics would work.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread