How do you clean and store your finds?

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I just got back into the swing of things (no pun intended) with metal detecting. I've been going throughout my yard which is mostly just field. I have been finding bullets and shells left and right. They are not terribly old but not too new either. I was wondering a few things:

1- How do you all clean your metal detecting finds? Do you even clean them at all? Do you just rinse the dirt off, or do you use electrolysis and other fancy methods?

2- How do you store and sort your metal detecting finds? Do you keep them together by hunt or location? Do you store them in tackle boxes and display cases? Or do you just leave the common stuff in a box?

I believe mostly all of my finds are common and not out of the ordinary. Still, they are from my property before I lived here (likely before houses were even built here) and I would like to learn more about them and find a cool way to view them or store them. Up until now, all of my metal detecting finds are in boxes with dirt and dust on them. I don't ever look at them or appreciate them, which is why I am making this post.

I have been lightly hunting this area of my property for a little while, but now I have been going out daily. Most of the finds are spent .22 cartridges and fired .22 bullets. Some of the best finds are from this past week of hunting, such as:
1- An old iron horseshoe or mule shoe.
2- An old 2 ringed bullet (not a minié ball, but I think it is much older than the other bullets I have found. I think it's between 25 and 30 caliber).
3- An unfired .22 caliber cartridge! I have always wanted to find an old live cartridge that was dropped instead of fired.

I will probably post pictures of these finds as I get more active on the site again.

Thanks all,

SorenCoins :)

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a coffee table with glass compartments with finds and all kinds of other displays all over the house
i try not to over clean anything - ruined stuff long ago and learned my lesson

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me it depends on the item. Wash the dirt off? Sure, I do that with everything. Beyond that would depend on the metal and the condition of it. Sometimes cleaning can remove detail that give the item it's character. Other times it can improve the looks immensely. Some of my finds are in cases, some just set on a bookshelf or table. Precious metals go into the safe deposit box.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best way to clean old finds is to put them in a small cup of apple cider vinegar, dilute it with some water. I use those small jellow cups Careful you dont leave things like old Military button's and coins it the solution TOO LONG you can eat away the details and features. Iron relics you can soak longer. When it comes to silver coins, jewelry and such, I just use a bit of mild dish washing soap again diluted w/water just to remove the dirt. NEVER brush silver or gold coins to clean them. I have also had success with sticking old wheatbacks and IHC's in a potato overight.

I store my civil war relics in a small planters peanut can, labeled as to which area I found them and the dates. Really really GOOD STUFF like a confederate button, I put in a special button holder made for that purpose, belt plates go ito a shaddow box, you can get those in relic shops or online Coins I do the same, divide them up into peanut cans. Silver coins I put in coin "windows" These end up in the hands of my Grandkids who are into coin collecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

attachment.php