I keep getting signals in tide pools on Vancouver Island!

SlipperyT

Aug 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a property in Nanoose Bay on Vancouver Island. We got very lucky and managed to fix up an older home right on the water. So a year later i finally have time to adventure!

I fired up the metal detector and headed to the beach at low tide. There's bedrock everywhere and the shallow tide pools sit right on top of the bedrock. Somehow every single pool sets off the detector for non ferrous material.

The real challenge im noticing is clearing the pool is quite difficult. What i need is a pump or something to drain them. Before i go to the trouble i was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. Am i wasting my time? Are these super false readings? Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200811_182604.jpg
    20200811_182604.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SlipperyT

Aug 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tide pools are in the area of the arrow. They continue around the corner.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small pool is where the water is evaporateing, increasing the salt concentration. This increases the conductivity of solution high enought for the detector to "see it" compared to the naighboring rocks and false as a metal. You can try a few things; go detecting right after the tight, when the pools are still fresh and /or try to set the ground balance higher and the sensitivity lower. Eventually, you might need a better detector, a high end multi frequency VLF or even better a PI, wich seems to be less prone for those problems.

Beautifoul landscape, congratulations on land purchase.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using? If there is no sand on top the bedrock, nothing will be deep, so, you should be able to turn the sensitivity way down to get it stable. Use a good pin pointer to locate the target and use a screwdriver or similar to carefully pry the target out of the rocks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread