Best Light Weight Metal Detector

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 1500 (board is out)
So, my detector has died. It's time for a new one. I do not detect as often as I would like, but I love doing it and I prefer a top quality detector. I have a bad back, so...if there is a really good one that might be lightweight, that would be great. My preferences are simplicity of use, lightweight, possible water/beach usage and high quality.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first choice would be the Equinox. If that's a bit more than you want to spend, you might look at the Vanquish and Simplex. The Deus is probably the lightest of the high end machines, but, it's not a particularly good machine in wet salt water/sand and it not waterproof without an extra kit. It's also a rather expensive choice. The Equinox is a much better buy and except for heavy iron, just as good or better than the Deus and only slightly heavier.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look into a harness for when you are detecting to redistribute the weight of your detector.I don't have a link to any but maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion of a good harness.That would be best if you have a bad back.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre - IF you can find one. :icon_thumright:

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will get a vast range of responses on detector recommendations.. but personally I enjoy using whites Mx sport.I would venture to guess that a nox 600 or 800 would be lighter. I’d like to try one out myself. Sorry to hear about your back. My L5 is bulged myself. I know the feeling! Happy hunting!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The XP Orx is the lightest detector. If you’re not doing much salt water detecting it’s so comfortable on the wrist and shoulder. I hunted 8 hrs in and out of the water the other day and my arm wasn’t fatigued at all. I’ve had mine for a few months now and it’s very reliable and a well built detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also go with the XP Orx or XP Deus. It's under 2 pounds. Also works good as a cane! No foodling! The Equinox series is a pound heavier and nose heavy so a lot of people add at least another half pound as a counter weight to it. It hurt my arm to use it. Being an old toad myself, I found the Deus and my Tesoro Cibola the weight class champs. Tesoro makes machines that are very hard to break, but they are now out of business.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was thinking of a NOX myself, after using the 5 pounder Whites for years. My Dual Field is a bear on front end loading. I've rebalenced my CZ-21 so even heavy its not hard to handle. Now have a shoulder that is becoming a pain ........Like Smokey said about front weight on the NOX. I may take another look at the Deus.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm suggesting looking at the Minelab Simplex, price, weight, etc. Watch some youtube videos with that machine..
.....or, the Garrett ACe Apex, for the value - can't vouch for their performance...I aint selling...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm suggesting looking at the Minelab Simplex, price, weight, etc. Watch some youtube videos with that machine..
.....or, the Garrett ACe Apex, for the value - can't vouch for their performance...I aint selling...

Minelab does not make the Simplex, Nokta does [a Turkish outfit]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also go with the XP Orx or XP Deus. It's under 2 pounds. Also works good as a cane! No foodling! The Equinox series is a pound heavier and nose heavy so a lot of people add at least another half pound as a counter weight to it. It hurt my arm to use it. Being an old toad myself, I found the Deus and my Tesoro Cibola the weight class champs. Tesoro makes machines that are very hard to break, but they are now out of business.

The Equinox is just over a half pound heavier than the Deus (.63 lb.). With the stock 11" coil it's only slightly nose heavy. with the 6" coil, it's not at all, and even lighter. With the 12 X 15" coil, you might want a sling or a counterbalanced shaft that Steve's Detecting Rods makes. The Equinox is also a much better salt water beach machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve makes great after market shafts, but there's probably another $100 spent...

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 400 and if you feel you are a more proficient operator upgrade to an AT Max.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a light detector look at XP Deus or ORX. They work in salt and you can get an adapter kit for water use. The Deus is really a joy to swing. I don't think any other top detector can claim that. Not trying to put anyone down but others have bought other detector and when they switched to XP they were much happier. Extra weight is not the only comfort issue. Many are out of balance. And talk to the dealers to get the best unadvertised price. Very similar price.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve makes great after market shafts, but there's probably another $100 spent...

The Deus is more money to start with, then you have to add the waterproof kit. Then you can look at the cost of their coils in comparison to the Equinox. If you're talking about cost comparisons only, the Equinox wins hands down, even if you factor in some aftermarket upgrades. Don't get me wrong, the Deus is a fine machine, and if that extra bit of weight saving is important to you, or, you're hunting in beds of nails, by all means buy it instead of the Equinox. If you're more interested in performance over a wide variety of venues, the Equinox is a better choice, and a better buy.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you mentioned the nox, I'm sure some people will think I am putting it down, Not trying to. The 11" coil was probably the main reason I didn't buy one. Several people boiught one and said it hurt their arm. They got the Deus and said much easier to swing. Also I didn't like the VDI scale being so few numbers. Like I said the prices are nearly the same if you ask the dealer for the best price. Yeah, extra coils are more expensive but even these the prices are lower now. I just run the 9" X35 and really haven't the desire to get anything else.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11")
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lightest I know of is the XP ORX with 9" HF coil (1 pound 14 ounces). Disadvantages are like others say, not the greatest in salt and requires a water kit(more money) target ID is also not what some like, and cost. Equinox 600 is another choice but a bit heavier. The A new player is the Garrett Ace Apex(2.5 lbs)- if you can get one. Looks like a decent detector.
Some other machines and weights:
Minelab Vanquish (2.9 lbs.), Minelab Equinox (2.96 lbs)

I was in a car accident last year and had neck injuries as a result. I can tell you that weight alone is not the only factor about the detector. Balance is more important. The equinox is a great detector but some do not like it due to the grip angle and balance. The only detector I could use after the wreck for a long time was the XP ORX. But again it does have its little annoyances too like lackluster target id and no depth indicator. It's pinpointing feature is also cumbersome.
Since you have back problems I would suggest wearing one of those back support belts when detecting, it may help you.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use my XP Deus on the beach with the HF Coils on the beach all the time. Super lightweight and the Deus has the wonderful X/Y graphic screen. The HF coils I found to be quieter than the previous coils on the wet sand. Good luck!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11")
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my XP Deus on the beach with the HF Coils on the beach all the time. Super lightweight and the Deus has the wonderful X/Y graphic screen. The HF coils I found to be quieter than the previous coils on the wet sand. Good luck!

I would really be spoiled with that XY Screen and Deus extra options. I used my ORX with X35 11" coil today in a seriously hunted to death place loaded with junk. Still managed to squeak out some corroded pennies, clad dimes, and a nickel from some seriously junk ground. Yes I did dig a couple pull tabs, but when those 90+ numbers pop up it is usually a copper penny/wheat penny or a dime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread