Harrison

Jan 14, 2020
Where the treasure is
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just completed my first year of relic hunting! Tons of civil war goodies saved such as guns, bullets, buttons, and many many other amazing things. I have also found loads of insane civilian artifacts as well. Metal detecting is now my life long hobby/ passion (obsession most of the time.) Therefore I want to upgrade from my beginner test the hobby out machine. I purchased the fisher f22 and it has been a champ, I know this machine like the back of my hand. It has discovered many incredible objects in my first year, but I am always wondering what it has missed out on/ scanned over/passed. I am considering buying a Minelab Equinox or an XP Deus! I have heard amazing things about both machines. I would just like to hear first-hand reviews/ more knowledgeable detectorist thoughts.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to METAL DETECTING for more exposure.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used the XP Deus, but I have used the Equinox 600. Stepping up your game with a new detector is a big step. Figure out your budget first. Then take that number and look at the machines that you can afford. Decide where and what you'll be looking for with it 90-percent of the time, then start ticking off how good each of the machines is based on YOUR needs.

The best relic machine I own is the Minelab GPZ 7000. The second best I've used is the Tesoro Tejon (no longer made). Talk to sponsors here like Kieth Leppert at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors He is out in the field hunting Civ War relics and artifacts all the time, with other detectorists that really know what they are doing. Good Luck!:headbang:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry makes some good points. Some of his diggings are in the SW US. The GPZ7000 is great out there, out east here, the PI machines don't cut it too well. We have layers of history here, colonial CW, up to yesterday's drops at the beach. A lot of folks use a PI machine at some of the Culpeper, VA horrible red dirt sites, but they will come home with 500 nails and 2 buttons, so they become labor intensive. Most of the time these machines are used to find a trash pit, then they just dig up the pit and use another machine and a pinpointer to get to the relics. A PI machine would be good to initially find a long lost home in a field, but then you'll have to switch to a vlf machine or dig iron all day long.

I have owned the Equinox 600 and I still have the XP Deus. I sold the 600. It was nose heavy and hurt my arm and was just not as good as the Deus.

If you dig in iron I'd get the XP Deus or XP Orx. They have a good track record and don't have the quality control problems the Equinox series has.

My Deus looks like a dinosaur chomped it, it gets used a lot, but works like a champ. Look at the new Apex machine also. If at all possible test out any machine before you buy one. I have bought several machines I just plain didn't like in the past and doing that will save you a lot of money down the road. My old Tesoro Cibola still works well and kicks it!

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PIs are just different tool and can't really compare to VLFs and vice versa. It really depends of what one is after. If you just need a bigger hole, you have to pick a higher caliber weapon.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you, one year ago I needed to upgrade to an intermediate detector, I researched everything out there for a good year before I decided on the Minelab equinox 800. After 200 + hours of use I’m very happy with my purchase, the depth of this machine is second to none in its price range. I haven’t dunked mine yet due to all the drowned units I’ve heard about but on dry land it’s a killer.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just completed my first year of relic hunting! Tons of civil war goodies saved such as guns, bullets, buttons, and many many other amazing things. I have also found loads of insane civilian artifacts as well. Metal detecting is now my life long hobby/ passion (obsession most of the time.) Therefore I want to upgrade from my beginner test the hobby out machine. I purchased the fisher f22 and it has been a champ, I know this machine like the back of my hand. It has discovered many incredible objects in my first year, but I am always wondering what it has missed out on/ scanned over/passed. I am considering buying a Minelab Equinox or an XP Deus! I have heard amazing things about both machines. I would just like to hear first-hand reviews/ more knowledgeable detectorist thoughts.

Both are excellent machines, but, unless we know the ground you're hunting, there's no way to pick what will be best for your area. The Deus is a little bit better in heavy iron, the Equinox is better in target I.D. at depth. Both are relatively light with the Deus about a 1/2 lb. lighter. You may also want to see and hear some videos of both machines. I'd own the Deus too along with my Equinox, but, I just can deal with the sounds the Deus makes! Fingernails on a blackboard in my ears.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both. I like using both. I can use the Equinox in 1, 2, 5 or 50 (full) tones. I can only stomach the Deus audio in full tones, single VCO tone or in a 2 tone ferrous/non-ferrous setup. I don't like the Deus or ORX audio in 3, 4 or 5 etc. tones unless I do some major tweaking but I would rather just hunt instead of trying to fix something that my ears will never accept.

I generally use the Deus for relic hunting in areas with lots of surface and deep iron, I use it occasionally for gold prospecting which it does very well and will also use it some for shallower coin/jewelry hunting especially in areas that likely have quality jewelry drops like the edges of athletic fields and under trees in parks where people do some crazy things....... Not complaining about Deus depth, I just have very mineralized dirt where I hunt and no single frequency detector does well here for depth and that includes the Deus.

To me, the Deus audio is ridiculously unpleasant EXCEPT on quality targets like gold jewelry!!!!! For some reason, the Deus really seems to like me and I find some astounding jewelry, coins and relics with it. Otherwise, I hold my nose when I use it basically and cringe a lot when it detects trash and iron. But, I still love it anyway.

For relic hunting in a mixed target environment where there aren't 5 to 10 or so iron targets under the coil all the time, I will use the Equinox 800. It has extremely accurate numerical and tone target ID all the way out to the limit of its detection depth even in highly mineralized dirt and will not up average target IDs very much at all on low to mid conductors like most single frequency detectors will. So a modern US nickel will read between 12 and 13 near or on the surface and it will read 11 to 14 or so at 10" or more depth with the correct audio tones too. Your F22 and my F19/G2+ for instance will turn a US nickel or pull tab into a clad dime or quarter around 5" deep or more as far as numerical target ID and tones. I did not find the Equinox to be particularly heavy or uncomfortable to swing. It is not as gentle on the arm as the Deus/Orx but it is a lot more comfortable than most detectors. It really can hunt very well on shallow targets, medium depth targets and deep targets in just about any kind of soil situation you could think of including, SW USA desert volcanic high mineralization, Rocky Mountain highly magnetic mineralization, any weather conditions, wet saltwater sand and submerged to 10 feet. To me its only weakness is hunting shallow to medium non-ferrous targets in thick bed of nails where the Deus/ORX is definitely the undisputed champion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harrison

Harrison

Jan 14, 2020
Where the treasure is
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am from the Nashville/ Franklin Tennessee area. (southeast u.s)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll just let you know that ever since I got My Equinox 800, I haven’t touched My CTX3030. I’ve pulled so many coins from where I thought I’d hunted out, and places I’ve been told are hunted out. Not to mention how my totals on Indians and Buffalos have grown drastically. Just got My first Shield Nickel with it in a hunted yard in Siloam Springs.
1- 1937S Quarter from a yard in an iron bed that I’d been over with the CTX. Click on my profile. Have pics for both detectors. As for the XP Deus, I couldn’t tell You. Never used one. Good luck and either way Happy Hunting!!!!

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nokta Makro Simplex is a fantastic detector. Although it appears price wise to be a lateral move from your F22, I think it would be an upgrade since it has so many modern features that the very good F22 lacks. Another option is to look at the big siblings of the Simplex........the Nokta Makro Kruzer/Multi Kruzer and the Nokta Makro Anfibio. Those are definitely an upgrade to your F22 and would make a good team with it. Lots of people in your area have had great success with the Deus, Equinox, the Kruzers and the Anfibio/Simplex. You can't go wrong with any of them.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Deus. It's so lightweight and beautifully made. The telescopic arm is phenomenal and easy and the wireless tech is so nice. The tones don't bother me a bit; much less than the Bounty Hunter and then the Garrett I used. It's really a tough machine and I can tell you any machine takes a fair amount of hard use from me.

I'm in southeast Louisiana and live on old farm land that has tons of debris. I have found some of the coolest things I have with the merest whispers of that machine. It's really sensitive.

I have found the Deep program is finding things the Fast program barely registers a whisper on. It's a really great machine. The ergodynamics are incredible. I've found more relics of interest with it in less than a year, than I did for seven years with the other two.

It's extremely easy to use and can be as complex as you want it to be, with programming. The whole machine is really rugged and light and incredibly well made.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dickson TN here. Pm me if you ever wanna talk. Deus user here too by the way along with the XP ORX as well.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+ up for the Simplex
waterproof
software updates
rechargable
picks flyshit 'outta pepper
get the wireless headphones
get the SP24 after learning with the stock coil

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL, I had the same feeling, but opposite. My NOX 800 made me crazy. DEUS, sweet music to my ears.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ultimately whatever you choose will come down to your personal preference.. looks feel beeps swing etc... best of luck friend... hunt hard or go home:laughing7: you’ll do well whatever you choose because you enjoy the hunt

Last edited:

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are a lot of great detectors out there, I sold my Whites MX sport, because it was like a bad pair of shoes, it just didn't fit or work for me. I had many issues with it, on the other had my Whites TDI is a great machine. I just bought a Garretts APEX an love it. I am sure you will up grade to something that is fun, conformable, and a joy to find targets. The main thing is to have fun with the hobby. Good Hunting Jim

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Battle of Franklin was a doozy, how close to that site have you been allowed to hunt? I remember touring the field hospitals there and have some vivid memories of the stains on the floors in front of the fireplaces where they removed limbs etc. Fill me in, brother! Small battlefield but it was an intense fight-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread