First Hunt
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By hudsonlarking
  • 1 Post By SD51
  • 1 Post By nuggetdog
  • 1 Post By hudsonlarking
  • 3 Post By Back-of-the-boat
  • 1 Post By Noah_D

Thread: First Hunt

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2020
    NYC
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

First Hunt

Broke in my first, brand new detector yesterday afternoon for a very short hunt. Using an ace 300 in a park I learned a ton in a very short time. Most importantly, how important a good shovel is. The ground was tough but I’ve seen people dig effortlessly so a shovel will be my next investment. That did limit my finds as I didn’t want to dig if I wouldn’t be able to reach the target. Second, lots and lots of beeps which was to be expected in a public park. Most signals were midtones in the 40-50s. Some high 80s to even 99 but deep (saying 8+ sometimes) so who knows. Lastly, def need more reps to get the arm used to the motion lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	173D2EEC-43C5-4A64-91A9-FECC5B3E5A66.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	1863522 and a nail. I definitely would like to go back but maybe after some more practice. Perhaps at a place with less noise/targets and when I learn what I’m doing. Heading to the Cleveland suburbs this coming weekend so will give it a little go in my brothers house, built in 1954.

Cheers and happy hunting (and thanks for all your tips)!
    Last edited by hudsonlarking; Sep 14, 2020 at 07:57 AM.
    SD51, Loco-Digger and nuggetdog like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    5900 times
    Welcome to T Net and you learned a lot on your first hunt. As you found out, there's no shortage of signals in a park. You will get better at digging and yes, a shovel is much easier to use than a hand digging tool.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    237 times
    Good luck in Cleveland, might be some silver hiding in the ground. You’ll be hooked for sure
    hudsonlarking likes this.

Jul 2014
    121 times
    A shovel in a park? Be very careful, no quicker way to get into trouble with park personnel or other authorities than digging big holes. The grounds should look like you were never there when you are finished. One of the most important guidelines for ethical metal detecting.

us
    Jul 2020
    NYC
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    Good luck in Cleveland, might be some silver hiding in the ground. You’ll be hooked for sure
    I’ll take any coins, clad and all. And relics too of course
    nuggetdog likes this.

us
    Jul 2020
    NYC
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
    A shovel in a park? Be very careful, no quicker way to get into trouble with park personnel or other authorities than digging big holes. The grounds should look like you were never there when you are finished. One of the most important guidelines for ethical metal detecting.
    Amen, I totally agree with detecting etiquette. By shovel, I’m referring to any digging took. Which I know is wrong. I guess a hand shovel or something is more like it

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4814 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonlarking View Post
    Amen, I totally agree with detecting etiquette. By shovel, I’m referring to any digging took. Which I know is wrong. I guess a hand shovel or something is more like it
    get a Lesche when you can afford it .When you hit high numbers like the 99 you said raise and lower your machine over it and if you keep getting a reading when you are up aways it more than likely is a soda can.If you lose the signal It might be silver.
    back of the boat

us
    Dec 2017
    Connecticut Western Reserve (Ohio)
    Garret ACE 300
    1164 times
    Metal Detecting
    Keep hunting! I have an ACE 300 as well and have found old silvers, buttons, and big coppers with it. It takes practice and patience but if you keep at it you almost certainly will find stuff!
    hudsonlarking likes this.
    2020 Totals
    • Coppers: Qianlong Cash Coin, 1820, 1835, 1853 LCs, 5 nd Matrons, 1837 Hard Times token, 1857 Flying Eagle, (half of a) Victoria half Penny
    • Silvers: 1945-p war nick, 1916, 24, 45 mercs, 1898 barber quarter, 1942, 49, wash
    • Military buttons: 3
    • Silver Jewelry: 1
    • Gold Jewelry: 1

"God does not give us everything we want, but he does fulfill his promises, leading us along the best and straightest paths to himself" -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    Nox 800, CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett AT Max, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax,
    3455 times
    Great Job!

The more hours you spend with your machine the more you will be able to “hear” the real treasure. Numbers do lie. Don’t take the numbers as Gospel. Dig everything that is not a ”grunt”

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5755615D-346D-49C0-B32C-59842698CFAA.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	1863812
    "If you can cut the people off from their
    history, then they can be easily persuaded."
    ~ Karl Marx

"History does not long entrust the
    care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
    ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower