First Hunt

hudsonlarking

Jul 12, 2020
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broke in my first, brand new detector yesterday afternoon for a very short hunt. Using an ace 300 in a park I learned a ton in a very short time. Most importantly, how important a good shovel is. The ground was tough but I’ve seen people dig effortlessly so a shovel will be my next investment. That did limit my finds as I didn’t want to dig if I wouldn’t be able to reach the target. Second, lots and lots of beeps which was to be expected in a public park. Most signals were midtones in the 40-50s. Some high 80s to even 99 but deep (saying 8+ sometimes) so who knows. Lastly, def need more reps to get the arm used to the motion lol

173D2EEC-43C5-4A64-91A9-FECC5B3E5A66.jpeg and a nail. I definitely would like to go back but maybe after some more practice. Perhaps at a place with less noise/targets and when I learn what I’m doing. Heading to the Cleveland suburbs this coming weekend so will give it a little go in my brothers house, built in 1954.

Cheers and happy hunting (and thanks for all your tips)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net and you learned a lot on your first hunt. As you found out, there's no shortage of signals in a park. You will get better at digging and yes, a shovel is much easier to use than a hand digging tool.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in Cleveland, might be some silver hiding in the ground. You’ll be hooked for sure[emoji38]

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
A shovel in a park? Be very careful, no quicker way to get into trouble with park personnel or other authorities than digging big holes. The grounds should look like you were never there when you are finished. One of the most important guidelines for ethical metal detecting.

OP
OP
H

hudsonlarking

Jul 12, 2020
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shovel in a park? Be very careful, no quicker way to get into trouble with park personnel or other authorities than digging big holes. The grounds should look like you were never there when you are finished. One of the most important guidelines for ethical metal detecting.

Amen, I totally agree with detecting etiquette. By shovel, I’m referring to any digging took. Which I know is wrong. I guess a hand shovel or something is more like it

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen, I totally agree with detecting etiquette. By shovel, I’m referring to any digging took. Which I know is wrong. I guess a hand shovel or something is more like it

get a Lesche when you can afford it .When you hit high numbers like the 99 you said raise and lower your machine over it and if you keep getting a reading when you are up aways it more than likely is a soda can.If you lose the signal It might be silver.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep hunting! I have an ACE 300 as well and have found old silvers, buttons, and big coppers with it. It takes practice and patience but if you keep at it you almost certainly will find stuff!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job!

The more hours you spend with your machine the more you will be able to “hear” the real treasure. Numbers do lie. Don’t take the numbers as Gospel. Dig everything that is not a ”grunt”

Cheers

5755615D-346D-49C0-B32C-59842698CFAA.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread