How to find older places in towns?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try local sanborn maps or use the historicariels.com. use the slide feature to see modern image over an older one.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome suggestions of Library and Sanborn maps by the fellas above.

Here is a supplement to what Back-of-the-boat and Villagenut already mentioned.

Social Distancing and a mask while doing research at a brick and mortar Library is a PITA

Sanborn Maps are AWESOME but not cheap if you try to buy them on eBay

67776E57-67AD-458D-89C7-C5160CF3423A.jpeg

Let a search engine an technology Help you out. It will be a lot faster.

Let the tax payer funded Online Library of Congress help you find your next treasure

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/

You can clip a part of the map

1CFADD83-5714-46BE-B9A4-56D233160862.jpeg

You can enlarge in great detail without having to use a magnifying glass

D126D88D-C508-48AE-A113-EC10C9A90FC4.jpeg

Then you can download the enlarge clipped image to your computer For research
80960045-AC71-4E2F-9640-53A60846F79F.jpeg

After you “mark up “ your location you can send it to your mobile phone for reference on site.

Good luck and let us know what you find we would all love to share your happiness when you unearth history.

Cheers

WaterScoop

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Library. Historical Society. County historian. Old postcards.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The web alone has been my best research tool for locating history.

Give us an example so we can learn from you . The web is a vast ocean . Thnx Fistfullofdirt :)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since most old locations are now paved, street tearouts are one of the best options when they come along, almost guarenteed to find old coins and relics if your timing is right. Downside is they are active construction zones so of course you must go after workers are gone, even then they might be barricaded off to the public, and aslo they can be hazardous.

OP
OP
JMac48

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
The sandborn maps are a great help, thank you. I’m from sw Kansas so it’s hard finding good places to go. Thank everyone

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMac, go ahead and check with the courthouse also! I have used it both for historical research and copies of local maps and mining information and descriptions gong back into the 1870' in my area northeastern Oregon. It may cost you a little for copies, but is well worth checking out. Good Luck!

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, use zillow to see whats for sale in your town. Filter by AGE maximum. I use this to determine if the residence are occupied or not. If vacant, I do the curb strip out front.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a repeat but most areas have historical societies, and they usually have websites. I find that most of the websites have very little info, but you can stop in or email/call. These people LOVE to talk...when there's not a pandemic going on they also have meetings and events. Stop in and ask around. My tiny little town even has a museum with local history and artifacts, and I've learned a lot there. Also, find an old timer who has lived in the area their whole life...and just ask where the social hotspots used to be. By doing this I learned that a commercial property that my in-laws own used to have a dancehall onsite. I was able to find remnants of the old foundation in the overgrown area surrounding their business and found some cool relics (keys,locks, horse tack, old make-up compacts from the turn of the century) and of course COINS. Good luck, parks are fun because you find stuff every trip...but places like this are the prime spots we all look for.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, use zillow to see whats for sale in your town. Filter by AGE maximum. I use this to determine if the residence are occupied or not. If vacant, I do the curb strip out front.

Don’t give away all the secrets..LOL. Joking aside I do the same.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread