Bought A New Detector - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Bought A New Detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2013
    1607 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Bought A New Detector

Get yourself the 5x8 coil, youíll never want to use the stock coil again. For parks I use pro zero 35 iron and that setting for me is $$$$$. I was actually just at the park yesterday and found a $7 coin spill. 3 toonies and a loonie. At the beach I sometimes run wide open with no discrimination until I get into an area with too much iron. Check out my best find at the beach with the 5x8 coil it was a honker of a 22k gold ring. It was quite deep too.
    Last edited by Irishgoldhound; Oct 06, 2020 at 06:38 PM.
    mindcrime1988, dts52 and ArfieBoy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Bear cub whisperer

Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1862 times
    MD & NA artifacts, pull-tab recovery
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    Get yourself the 5x8 coil, you’ll never want use the stock coil again. For parks I use pro zero 35 iron and that setting for me is $$$$$. I was actually just at the park yesterday and found a $7 coin spill. 3 toonies and a loonie. At the beach I sometimes run wide open with no discrimination until I get into an area with too much iron. Check out my best find at the beach with the 5x8 coil it was a honker of a 22k gold ring. It was quite deep too.
    Couldn’t agree more. Since getting the 5X8, I haven’t used the stock coil. Cannot say that I’ve made finds as notable as these but IMHO the Pro is a dime magnet. If I could just get myself to trust the machine when it’s telling me that the signal is cr*p but I dig it anyway.
    dts
    Irishgoldhound and ArfieBoy like this.

Jul 2013
    1607 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Bought A New Detector

Quote Originally Posted by dts52 View Post
    Couldnít agree more. Since getting the 5X8, I havenít used the stock coil. Cannot say that Iíve made finds as notable as these but IMHO the Pro is a dime magnet. If I could just get myself to trust the machine when itís telling me that the signal is cr*p but I dig it anyway.
    dts
    Yeah I agree, itís a dime and penny magnet for sure. I could hit a park and dig pennies all day long. I do the same thing too, Iíve been using the AT pro for over ten yrs and I know most of the time when itís junk but I dig anyways cause Iíve been quite surprised by assuming itís junk and turned out a valuable find. That little voice in my head wonít let me walk away lol. Iíve dug an Altoids candy container that sounded not that good at all. When I opened it, it had some coins and paper money inside. So now I always think it could be a money clip or a container with valuable contents. Just never know till ya dig it.
    Last edited by Irishgoldhound; Oct 07, 2020 at 05:24 PM.
    dts52, xr7ator, ArfieBoy and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    Nox 800, CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett AT Max, Whites DFX, Vanquish 540
    3586 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congratulations on your new machine. My wife uses the ATP and loves it. The Target ID is dead on. The clad quarters are unmistakeable.

Cheers
    dts52 and ArfieBoy like this.
    "If you can cut the people off from their
    history, then they can be easily persuaded."
    ~ Karl Marx

"History does not long entrust the
    care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
    ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, II, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass X-100, Compass Judge 2,
    1202 times
    Thanks everyone for all your advise and information. I truly appreciate it.
    Irishgoldhound likes this.

Sep 2020
    new england
    SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
    93 times
    Good Luck!
    ArfieBoy likes this.

us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    498 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Best of luck with your new best friend! I've hunted a bunch with 'smallfoot' from this forum, and he can find an Indian Head Cent next to a hunk of iron with his AT-Pro! Work with it, and you'll 'ace' it.

ArfieBoy likes this.
    Freedom isn't FREE! Thank You to all who choose to Protect & Serve in our military and Law Enforcement. But I am ashamed and embarrassed lately. To those FEW who would tarnish the badge and muddy the uniform, that I proudly wore for 20 years, YOU don't deserve to be wearing them! ALL human life is valued. Compassion, RESPECT, and morality is paramount.
    To those who don't or won't value these,
    GET OUT! I LOVE the U.S.A., and this hobby!

us
    Sep 2020
    Bangor, PA
    Garrett ATPro Garrett ACE400
    82 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ArfieBoy View Post
    I took the AT Pro out in my back yard yesterday afternoon to test it out. Here in the Pacific Northwest area where I live we have very highly mineralized soil and this time of year it is hard and dry. I had no problem manually ground balancing it at about 88. I tested it on various practice targets, nails, bottle caps, pennies of both kinds, clad and silver coins and a 14K gold ring I wear. I somewhat familiarized myself with tones and signals the Pro gives, then searched parts of the yard I'm sure I have completely searched out with several other detectors I have had. Got a good signal. At about 6 inches I recovered a 1967 penny. I have never found a penny at 6 inches in this highly mineralized soil (and this dry) with any other detector I have owned or used here. I'm pretty impressed with the AT Pro at this point and am looking forward to getting out in the field once I get more familiar with it and learn what it is telling me. I think I made the right decision with this purchase.
    I told ya!!!
    ArfieBoy likes this.

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    1202 times
    Yep, SBD, you did! Thanks.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    3730 times
    Metal Detecting
    The AT Pro is a very good detector. I was a White's fan for 35 years until I won an AT Pro at a seeded hunt. After getting the Pro I liked it so much I sold my White's detector. The Pro is easy to learn and will definitely find the good stuff. Good luck with your new detector.
    ArfieBoy likes this.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    729 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ArfieBoy View Post
    I just received a new detector, a Garrett AT Pro. It has most of the features I was looking for and several I don't need, but seems to fit what I have been looking for. It is only my second digital detector. The first one was not to my liking that I bought many years ago. Sold it several years ago. Hoping this experience with digital will go a lot better than the first one. My biggest problem is I am an analog guy in a digital world! I have had a lot of experience with many different detectors for many years in the hobby, so I'm not anticipating any real problems with the AT Pro.

I've been reading the manual and playing with the detector to familiarize myself with its features and operational functions. I'm about ready to take it outside in my yard and try it out in our mineralized soil. Wish me luck!

Congrats on the new machine! Nice choice!
    ArfieBoy likes this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Nokta Makro Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    1202 times
    Thanks for the encouraging words Clad2Silver and Bart! Been in my back yard with the AT Pro and finding coins deeper there than I have ever found before with other detectors in our bad soil! Very pleased so far! I want to take it out more but it has been raining and cool the last 5 days... and I'm an old worn out th'er that likes warmth! Thanks again all you guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links