ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a new detector, a Garrett AT Pro. It has most of the features I was looking for and several I don't need, but seems to fit what I have been looking for. It is only my second digital detector. The first one was not to my liking that I bought many years ago. Sold it several years ago. Hoping this experience with digital will go a lot better than the first one. My biggest problem is I am an analog guy in a digital world! I have had a lot of experience with many different detectors for many years in the hobby, so I'm not anticipating any real problems with the AT Pro.

I've been reading the manual and playing with the detector to familiarize myself with its features and operational functions. I'm about ready to take it outside in my yard and try it out in our mineralized soil. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The AT pro will serve you well. Simple but a very good detector. I’ve had mine for a long time now and it’s still my go to detector for parks. Many gold and silver I’ve found. Good luck.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck.

Give it a little time, that machine will find good stuff.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the AT Pro is an excellent detector. It may not be the best with all the new technology coming out every other day on other detectors but take the time to learn what it is telling you and you'll be rewarded with some great finds.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck to you! I've heard a lot of good things about the AT Pro...happy hunting!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that you will love the Pro. Great basic machine. Keep the sensitivity on the low side while you are learning the machine.
HH
dts

OP
OP
ArfieBoy

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you! I appreciate all of your comments and advice. I'm looking forward to using the Pro!

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunt your yard today, then in a few days after you bond with the AT Pro go back over that same ground again. You'll be amazed at the tones you walked past after you dig them!! I'm STILL finding stuff in my yard and I could have sworn I had it picked clean months ago.

OP
OP
ArfieBoy

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, SBD, for the suggestion. I waited over a year hoping for more information on the Avitech Cygnus 1X, but there has not been any more information about it, so I went ahead and bought the Garrett AT Pro. At this point I'm not sorry. I have good feelings about the AT Pro!

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, You got a nice machine. Good luck.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish you best of luck hope you make some great finds.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like you have the right idea about playing with it - learn what it's telling you, then guess again...!
GL+HH

OP
OP
ArfieBoy

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the AT Pro out in my back yard yesterday afternoon to test it out. Here in the Pacific Northwest area where I live we have very highly mineralized soil and this time of year it is hard and dry. I had no problem manually ground balancing it at about 88. I tested it on various practice targets, nails, bottle caps, pennies of both kinds, clad and silver coins and a 14K gold ring I wear. I somewhat familiarized myself with tones and signals the Pro gives, then searched parts of the yard I'm sure I have completely searched out with several other detectors I have had. Got a good signal. At about 6 inches I recovered a 1967 penny. I have never found a penny at 6 inches in this highly mineralized soil (and this dry) with any other detector I have owned or used here. I'm pretty impressed with the AT Pro at this point and am looking forward to getting out in the field once I get more familiar with it and learn what it is telling me. I think I made the right decision with this purchase.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It'll find pennies and clad dimes deeper than that for sure. Once you find a silver dime at 7 plus inches, you know the machine extremely well.
Work in pro mode and goooo sloooow once you know your in a good spot for deepies, or in trash.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Get yourself the 5x8 coil, you’ll never want to use the stock coil again. For parks I use pro zero 35 iron and that setting for me is $$$$$. I was actually just at the park yesterday and found a $7 coin spill. 3 toonies and a loonie. At the beach I sometimes run wide open with no discrimination until I get into an area with too much iron. Check out my best find at the beach with the 5x8 coil it was a honker of a 22k gold ring. It was quite deep too.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself the 5x8 coil, you’ll never want use the stock coil again. For parks I use pro zero 35 iron and that setting for me is $$$$$. I was actually just at the park yesterday and found a $7 coin spill. 3 toonies and a loonie. At the beach I sometimes run wide open with no discrimination until I get into an area with too much iron. Check out my best find at the beach with the 5x8 coil it was a honker of a 22k gold ring. It was quite deep too.

Couldn’t agree more. Since getting the 5X8, I haven’t used the stock coil. Cannot say that I’ve made finds as notable as these but IMHO the Pro is a dime magnet. If I could just get myself to trust the machine when it’s telling me that the signal is cr*p but I dig it anyway.
dts

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Couldn’t agree more. Since getting the 5X8, I haven’t used the stock coil. Cannot say that I’ve made finds as notable as these but IMHO the Pro is a dime magnet. If I could just get myself to trust the machine when it’s telling me that the signal is cr*p but I dig it anyway.
dts

Yeah I agree, it’s a dime and penny magnet for sure. I could hit a park and dig pennies all day long. I do the same thing too, I’ve been using the AT pro for over ten yrs and I know most of the time when it’s junk but I dig anyways cause I’ve been quite surprised by assuming it’s junk and turned out a valuable find. That little voice in my head won’t let me walk away lol. I’ve dug an Altoids candy container that sounded not that good at all. When I opened it, it had some coins and paper money inside. So now I always think it could be a money clip or a container with valuable contents. Just never know till ya dig it.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your new machine. My wife uses the ATP and loves it. The Target ID is dead on. The clad quarters are unmistakeable.

Cheers

OP
OP
ArfieBoy

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all your advise and information. I truly appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread