SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tomorrow I'm hunting a permission I've been working on for months. It's a 2 acre site with a home on it (built in 1786) off the beaten path in Bucks County PA. I can only hunt it once so I have tomorrow to pull what I can out of there. I'm actually bringing my 16 year old son so we can cover more ground. The best part of this is that the property abuts an area that is a well documented Continental Army camping spot. I'm expecting to find relics and coins from that era forward at least.

One slight issue....give me some good advice here team. The landowner is an 85 year old woman and she wants everything I find. I'm thinking that depending on what I find, at the wrap up I'd like to ask her to split them with me. What would you do? I don't want to be shady, especially since my kid will be with me. Is asking for a 50/50 split a bad thing? WWYD?

When I got the permission and she said that to me, I was so excited about her letting me hunt there that I said "let's see what I find first". So for once me being wishy-washy might pay off.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, according to what you say EVERYTHING you find is hers. You better talk to her before you dig. Unless you really want to give everything away. 50/50 split by doing you pick one, I'll pick one you go first since its your land, should be ok. Unless she really wants everything, at which point, unless you want to give her everything. walk away.

"Let's see what I find first" as an answer doesn't do the hobby any good at all.

When any of us here have been told that, we just walk away. Even if you give her everything she'll think you stole something. Most of those peole are best left alone. I'd find another spot.

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have encountered similar situations, I agree, with the stipulation that I get to take pictures. I have no problem with giving the landowner everything because, by law, it IS theirs. But I like to have evidence of what I found, hence, the pictures. Never had anyone argue with pictures. If they have problems with that it best to leave it alone.

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the input, I appreciate it a lot. Lesson learned!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to do all that work for nothing. I realize it might be a dream property, but, having to give absolutely everything away would be a turn off for me. Maybe you can see if she's willing to compromise, and maybe let you keep the coins, or relics and let her have whatever might be historically tied to the house? Any combination where you get to keep what you like to collect, and she gets to keep whatever she prefers. Otherwise, I'd wait until she passes on and try again with the new owners.

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
I wouldn't want to do all that work for nothing. I realize it might be a dream property, but, having to give absolutely everything away would be a turn off for me. Maybe you can see if she's willing to compromise, and maybe let you keep the coins, or relics and let her have whatever might be historically tied to the house? Any combination where you get to keep what you like to collect, and she gets to keep whatever she prefers. Otherwise, I'd wait until she passes on and try again with the new owners.

I’m with him, sounds bad but that’s life. Wait for the new owners what’s the point of digging it if you cant add to your collection.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
When I have encountered similar situations, I agree, with the stipulation that I get to take pictures. I have no problem with giving the landowner everything because, by law, it IS theirs. But I like to have evidence of what I found, hence, the pictures. Never had anyone argue with pictures. If they have problems with that it best to leave it alone.

I agree. I explain that the finding provides excitement and that I certainly don’t MD for a profit as I usually find only just enough to cover the cost of the batteries used, certainly not enough to cover the gas for my vehicle. I also mention that if my finds are something the owner isn’t going to keep, I’d appreciate the opportunity to have it.
CAVEAT: I have never found anything of significant value and I’m certain I never will. I would be thrilled to find Revolutionary War artifacts even if I had to turn them over to the owner. I have gotten a few “you must be nuts” looks from property owners when I show them my finds consisting of modern trash, oxen shoes and square nails. It’s unfortunate that so many people who are unfamiliar with MDing think that our machines are some sort of treasure magnets and that all we dig is jewelry and valuable coins.
I hope that you reach a reasonable agreement with the lady.
HH
dts

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of sweat and labor digging through roots and encountering larger rocks ect. for nothing to take home? Naah no thank you mam.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I just saw this.
Outside old kitchen windows and if you can locate where they used to hang laundry.
Also, direct path from house to an outbuilding.

Give her everything including the trash. Chances are she'll end up only wanting a handful of finds, and she might help get other permissions.

How did your hunt turn out?

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but I just saw this.
Outside old kitchen windows and if you can locate where they used to hang laundry.
Also, direct path from house to an outbuilding.

Give her everything including the trash. Chances are she'll end up only wanting a handful of finds, and she might help get other permissions.

How did your hunt turn out?

Hey Dave-
Turns out I was had. She was just being sarcastic when she said she wanted what I found. I had a great day but NOTHING colonial. She spent a lot of time with me when I was in her front yard and said I was welcome back when she witnessed a few of my plugs, then she went inside to read lol.

I found:

- The Yale Bicentennial stick pin I posted (1901)
- 2 old dog tag looking objects, drilled for a chain loop and with a circular wreath pattern but no engraving on either. (both the stick pin and tags looked like colonial copper coming out of the hole until I cleaned them up)
- A fistfull of modern coins, 4 wheaties and some 60's coins but NO SILVER
- Old horse tack, iron rings, etc
- An old house key etched with a very cool pattern
- An ornate lamp base probably from the turn of the century
- Old make up compact, but the side with the identifying marks wasn't recovered.

Thats about it. When I go back I'm going to cover some ground that I rushed through as it got later in the day, and re-work a few areas where I decided not to dig because guys were also there doing tree work.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently the lady had a wicked sense of humor and had your number right from the start! LOL! Congratulations on the hunt and being invited back.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I applaud you for doing the right thing in front of your son. What you do and how you act in front of them teaches them much much more than what you say. That is the way to raise them!

I have had several hand shake agreements with people before until I show them what I found and then they change their mind. It really stinks and awkward but it's almost better to have something in print and signed if you really want to keep any of the goodies.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
75116520c59bcbc9e4.gif

Top Member Reactions