Round Signals: What exactly do they sound like?

Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get a double tone on shallow targets and a round tone sounds good and solid with no sharp edges, your probably wondering what do sharp edges sound like at this point [emoji1]

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A round sound has no fuzz, buzz, or spikes in it's sound, just smooth and "round". Place a coin on the ground and then about a foot away place a bottle cap. Swing over the coin and then the Bottle cap. Try other trash targets also. I feel its important to do this back and forth testing, going from coin to trash item many times. Soon you'll be able to tell the difference in the smooth, round sound of the coin and the more raspy sound of the trash. Some detectors have better audio than others making the differences between coin and trash easier to decipher. The Makro/Nokta, and XP (Deus, ORX) detectors are excellent in this regards as are many others.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've always been told to dig solid round signals but what does that exactly mean? Is it the spaced out double tone that a ring sounds like when it's flat on the ground? I hear this same spaced out double tone with nickels and pulltabs. Can anyone provide some good videos with examples of a "round signal"? Thanks.

This is a great questions and I have been asked it many times. Every time I try to explain it to someone I feel like I fail. I honestly think it's more of a feeling that an audio sound. It is extremely hard to explain to a person. Best short answer I have is is a solid, pure tone with no cracks or audio deflections or variations.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between nuggetdog, Tom and Bart, I think they pretty well covered it! Great question. Thanks for posting.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Hmm. A solid round signal includes bottle caps as well as iron washers, folks. After all, these items are round. A new quarter from Canada is round.
Plenty of bad signals that are round out there.
If you get a short signal one way and a longer signal sweeping 90%, that is NOT a round sound.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a visual aid.

Round tone:
"oOo"

Clipped tone:
"+Oo" or "oO+"

Cluck tone:
"o-o"

Many detectors now have a digital alarm rather than an analog tone response so you just get different pitches rather than the clicks and chatter (foil, nails, off shapes) that ond analog machines spoke to you with.

OP
OP
AllmetalDetectorist
Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a visual aid.

Round tone:
"oOo"

Clipped tone:
"+Oo" or "oO+"

Cluck tone:
"o-o"

Many detectors now have a digital alarm rather than an analog tone response so you just get different pitches rather than the clicks and chatter (foil, nails, off shapes) that ond analog machines spoke to you with.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions