SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm new here.

What's the funniest comment you've ever gotten from a civilian while metal detecting??

Mine is this by far:

Lady walking her two dogs in a field I was about to detect while I was at my vehicle gearing up: "How long will you be here weed whacking? That sound scares my dogs."

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one I have in my title: "Is that a Geiger counter?"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Will that thing find paper money too?"

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady - "Are you looking for geo cashes?"

Me - "Nope just metal detecting"

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i dont remember king tut coming though here,if you need money you should get a cup and go down to the 7-11.these is why i mainly go the the desert now

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a tip from my brother about a park on a lake where he had eyeballed a large cent. I was there the next Saturday at sunup and noticed two cars in the parking lot when I arrived. I figured they were most likely fishing.

When I got down to the beach I saw two couples swimming. After detecting the sand for a while, the two couples came racing out of the water wearing nothing but a smile. They yelled, "We thought you were going to shock the water"! I told them I was the one that was shocked!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Young couple out for a hike, the girl says, "What are you looking for?"

Without looking up or taking off my headphones I responded, "Ex-wife number three. I forgot to get my diamond ring back before I buried her."

Here's the kicker - County Police cruiser pulled up on me 15-minutes later. After a tense but brief conversation, we all laughed, I gave them my knife shop business card and told them to give me a call.:skullflag:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“What’s this young man doing here with a gun!” I’m assuming that couple was referring to my black pinpointer...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm new here.

What's the funniest comment you've ever gotten from a civilian while metal detecting??

Mine is this by far:

Lady walking her two dogs in a field I was about to detect while I was at my vehicle gearing up: "How long will you be here weed whacking? That sound scares my dogs."

I had a similar response one day while detecting a curb stip. A lady walking her dog came up to me and asked "where did you buy that?" I told her.....can't remember which detector store it was.......she looked a bit puzzled, but, then, said "I'll have to check that out. I want to get one for my husband because he doesn't like noise, and that's the quietest weed whacker I've ever seen" I just had to laugh as I explained what it actually was. :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Young couple out for a hike, the girl says, "What are you looking for?"

Without looking up or taking off my headphones I responded, "Ex-wife number three. I forgot to get my diamond ring back before I buried her."

Here's the kicker - County Police cruiser pulled up on me 15-minutes later. After a tense but brief conversation, we all laughed, I gave them my knife shop business card and told them to give me a call.:skullflag:

That's a great story right there!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a tip from my brother about a park on a lake where he had eyeballed a large cent. I was there the next Saturday at sunup and noticed two cars in the parking lot when I arrived. I figured they were most likely fishing.

When I got down to the beach I saw two couples swimming. After detecting the sand for a while, the two couples came racing out of the water wearing nothing but a smile. They yelled, "We thought you were going to shock the water"! I told them I was the one that was shocked!
Lol, now that's funny right there, loved it. I've never had anything funny except a couple people have ask me about my "geiger counter" but have read where others have had the same happen so nothing new there. Lol shock the water.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting thirty something years ago where they were just putting in hew houses. A guy comes over as we were leaving and asked if we were looking for radioactive materials, I said yes, the government lost some hot stuff around here awhile back - and left. At least that's what I remember...however, I'm not sure, I may have just said "metal in the ground", but I know I was THINKING about answering with the radioactive line.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the local soccer fields and at one point I was surrounded by 6 little kids, one asked if I was looking for dinosaur bones, needless to say but they ended up with most of my change, kids are great aren’t they and hard to say no too!!!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same as Charlie P. (NY), one lady asked me about my "geiger thingy" referring to my pinpointer.

Joseph2867

Dec 12, 2018
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I called my diggin buddy and told him soon after this comment..."yeah I bought a detector once..but it was messed up and wouldn't work right. It kept making this funny noise"..

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 ladies and one guy came up to me because if i came down to their church God would help me walk without that cane.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread