IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab already has so many “aces in the hole” their hole is just about packed full....literally.

Springcitydoc1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Granview, TN.
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 NOKTA MAKRO SIMPLEX+
2 MINELAB X-TERRA 705s, GARRETT GTP-1350
and a defunk White XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett bought the rights to Whites line of detectors, That's all, I inquired in a letter to Garrett into if and when they would build the White Line of Detectors and in their response as of Nov22nd they had no plans made to build or market the white line of Detectors. I hope this changes!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Garrett bought the rights to Whites line of detectors, That's all, I inquired in a letter to Garrett into if and when they would build the White Line of Detectors and in their response as of Nov22nd they had no plans made to build or market the white line of Detectors. I hope this changes!

Darn! I was hoping they would build and sell a few of the whites line up still , like the TDI beach hunter. They just came out with it and then they close up shop. Also the Dual Field is one great detector that will be missed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When Whites stopped with there calendars i thought they are in trouble then they are gone. Now Garrett stopped with there calendars is that bad news for them ??

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Darn! I was hoping they would build and sell a few of the whites line up still , like the TDI beach hunter. They just came out with it and then they close up shop. Also the Dual Field is one great detector that will be missed.
I really do not think they are going to build any of whites models.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I really do not think they are going to build any of whites models.

So why would Garrett even bother with buying the rights to Whites then if they’re not planning to do anything with the Whites name or product? Makes no sense.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So why would Garrett even bother with buying the rights to Whites then if they’re not planning to do anything with the Whites name or product? Makes no sense.
I have no idea what is going on at Garrett. It would be nice if they did make some of Whites models sort of a Whites Garrett model with some of both in it.

Last edited:

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Probably for any intellectual property or patents they had, or to keep the IP from a competitor.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would make sense if it's an attempt to buy whites customers.
repair their machines and at the same time introduce them to Garrett's line.

I'm sure They even Got their Mailing Lists

an Example I Can think of is The area I am From.
Before the 80's there were Still a Few Bounty Hunters Around Because of a Local BH Dealer
from the 70's up until around the Turn of the Century was More & More Whites. Infiltrating.
Occasionally there would be a Garrett, Compas or Fisher. Then Minelab hit the Area and I see more & More
Minelabs.

But this Area Still has more Who are Loyal to Whites Then Garrett at this Time

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I think Garrett is really struggling to stay at the same level as Minelab. The AT series is their only decent line up and still they’re not that great and becoming old technology. The Apex didn’t deliver what people were expecting out of a “new” 2020 detector. I was expecting more advanced, water proof, a high end level of a detector. Instead they put out another mediocre machine which Minelab crushes with their Vanquish. Minelabs Vanquish models are considered beginner/ intermediate models but are so much more of a high end detector that it makes Garrett’s new Apex not so appealing, especially with its price point. At $650 Cad, why would I pay that much when I can get a Vanquish 440 for $299. I would sooner buy a Equinox for that price. Garrett needs to put out a decent multi frequency, water proof detector that is priced affordably if they want to stay in the game.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This post is 3 months old but I fell for it today. I just got Munsoned on a 90 day plan.

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A company like Garret may purchase a competitor's business, existing products stock, and most importantly - Patents. This is largely to keep others from getting and using White's technology in competition, and / or to now possess White's technology that my have been superior and can now include into their own products.
That likely explains why they will not continue to build "White's" branded products....the competition is gone and now Garrett will be able to learn and incorporate what might have been superior technology to THEIR detectors line.
But as in the case of White's...they are not offered to purchase the tangible building nor property. White's will wisely retain that and likely lease it out to some other business desiring use of the facility.

I can understand Garrett's decision to not build "White's" branded products...but I'd hope they would at least continue to build replacement parts for multitude of White's Detectors already out there.
I know there will continue to be at least two White's Service Centers.....just do not know what the game plan for being able to secure OEM replacement parts in the future.

Some companies would bank on just letting the existing White's detectors getting harder to service, over time, in hopes that the end user just replaces it with a Garrett Detector.

MD

tcmcauley1271

Greenie
May 31, 2020
Oak Ridge, TN
Detector(s) used
Just bought my Garrett AT Max. Going to play with the settings this winter and get out this spring into East Tennessee.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most likely they will study the Whites detectors and incorporate anything new into their own detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread