Deep search companies/contractors?

sheltonoil

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newly registered member, and this seemed like best spot to ask for help since I couldn’t find anything through Google. We have reason to believe that a significant amount of silver was buried on a now deceased family members property. It is a relatively small area where it is believed to be buried (perhaps 200 ft.²), and we’ve been told that it was buried at least 3 feet deep. Given that a typical personal detector won’t locate anything that deep, can anyone advise me of the type of professional (in the Atlanta area) - or even a specific person or company - that I could pay to help me locate something that deep? We are a little concerned about the risk in an outsider learning where it is, but I’m not sure how to avoid that. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sheltonoil

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet !!
Are you familiar with Ground Penetrating Radar?
Don.....
I sure am. Hoping to find someone that has that tech. From what I’ve seen, that equipment is thousands of dollars and would be a one time use for me. I can’t find any place that rents that out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much silver? What kind of container? What makes you think it's at least 3' deep? Most people who bury things, don't dig down that deep. If you think about it, there really isn't any advantage to burying something deep as opposed to shallow. Once something is underground, it's out of sight. Digging deeper just takes longer and makes you more tired!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the container is metal, or, the target(s) are big enough, you might be able to use a two box detector to locate it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Rent a PI detector and find it yourself if you don’t want to spend a fortune on a detector. Grid off areas where you suspect the contents are. A good PI will pick up a soda can at 3ft + You’d be surprised how deep new detectors can detect larger objects. When I first started detecting, I dug out an old paint can with my AT pro at the beach which was for sure over 2 ft.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confidentiality is number one...

be VERY careful on disclosure of location until you have met with the person in a place of notary and have them and a witness on YOUR SIDE sign a confidentiality agreement and contact for recovery with percentages.

and even then be very limited on any details in which would point to any potential locations UNTIL said person is ON property and ask questions an dig every signal EVEN IF this person says it is not anything.

Agree to do search until found and make each day a full one... until found.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rent a PI detector and find it yourself if you don’t want to spend a fortune on a detector. Grid off areas where you suspect the contents are. A good PI will pick up a soda can at 3ft + You’d be surprised how deep new detectors can detect larger objects. When I first started detecting, I dug out an old paint can with my AT pro at the beach which was for sure over 2 ft.

This is and should be your first move... for the less people involved the better.

OP
OP
S

sheltonoil

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is and should be your first move... for the less people involved the better.
Thanks to all. As I mentioned above, I can’t find a company that rents out anything other than a typical personal detector like the one I already bought and tried. Garrett Ace 250. That’s why I asked if there were companies for hire that did this kind of thing. And yes, as I mentioned I am very concerned about privacy and will do all I can to protect myself. The widow of the person that buried it indicated he told her it was around 3 feet deep. Can anyone help me on where I can rent the type of detector I will need, in the Atlanta area?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all. As I mentioned above, I can’t find a company that rents out anything other than a typical personal detector like the one I already bought and tried. Garrett Ace 250. That’s why I asked if there were companies for hire that did this kind of thing. And yes, as I mentioned I am very concerned about privacy and will do all I can to protect myself. The widow of the person that buried it indicated he told her it was around 3 feet deep. Can anyone help me on where I can rent the type of detector I will need, in the Atlanta area?

No. You are talking about a high dollar metal detector. Nobody rents those, thats why you only see cheap, entry level type machines available. If you think the treasure is likely there, invest in the detector yourself, do your own searching. You can sell the detector when done and recoup the majority of the cost. If you wanted somebody to come in with their equipment and spend their time to search, you can plan giving up a large chunk as the finder fee, or else paying a very hefty per hour rate regardless of finding or not. This also SHOULD involve some detailed legal contracts.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
My thoughts as well to those replies above. Try to recover it yourself first b4 getting someone right away. Like said.. the less who know the better. If you can’t rent one I would do exactly what Jason said. Buy yourself a good PI for starters and go at it. Use your Ace 250 first to clean off the top 6-8 inches of targets then try a PI to go deeper.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for curiosity sake, how many of you guys, giving advices, ever hire a TH or similar service?

Last edited:

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're only talking about a 10x20' area (200ft^2) then why not start by gridding up the area and probing with a sharpened 1/2" steel rod with a T-handle welded on? Any welding shop could make this for about $40.

That's also a small enough area that you could just dig it up and keep running your detector over each layer.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're only talking about a 10x20' area (200ft^2) then why not start by gridding up the area and probing with a sharpened 1/2" steel rod with a T-handle welded on? Any welding shop could make this for about $40.

That's also a small enough area that you could just dig it up and keep running your detector over each layer.

True, a small excavator can be rented fairly cheaply and you could dig the entire area to depth in a day and then break out the detector if nothing was found.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would I hire anyone to do what I can do myself?
There are occasions when people just cannot do everything by themselfe. Somethimes, they luck the proper equipment, ofently they miss proper knowledge and experience and in rare occasions - and this might be a realy dangerous one - they don't want to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread