Garrett ace 400?

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably already told her about the many Utube videos. If not, then there.

Gardinerdigger

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garret ace400 Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used an ace 400 for a few years before upgrading and found a lot of amazing things with it. I always used jewelry mode with everything below 40 notched out and sensitivity maxed.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff is pretty well designed for a child but the heavy coil makes it very nose heavy. The small coil on the 400 is a better choice. That machine will do pretty well as long as the ground you are detecting is pretty sweet. The lack of ground balance limits its use to those type of areas.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I had loads of fun and found many things with my Garrett Ace. It really is true that you have to spend many, many hours with any machine. Some of my favorite finds were with my Garrett.

That said, now that I have had my Deus for about seven months, I could kick myself for all the stuff I didn't find with the Garrett. And then I could kick myself for all the things I didn't find with the Deus Fast program, now that I am using the Deep program and finding older and older things.

I do agree that the smaller coil, especially for a child, is a better way to go, initially.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
400 is a fine machine, a coin/jewelry magnet within its limitations.
* Manage her expectations, she has got to know and accept early on that most of what will be found is trash. Those expecting treasure to come flying out of the ground at them will be in for a disappointment.
* Buy her a pinpointer as well, and proper digging/beach tools
* Kids tend to swing wildly half in the air, tell her that this detectors range for say a quarter is about 7", if she is swinging a foot in the air she will never find anything. Steady, overlapping swings just skimming the ground are critical for anyones success with any machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions