Do you ever feel bad for unborn detectorists?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah.
Think of the mad scramble when aluminum hits 50.00 a gram and pull tabs are the rage....

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
They are being born into a world with less and less treasure to be found... It's kinda sad when you really think about it.

When we’re dead and gone there will still be treasure in the ground for thousands of yrs after us which will still be in the billions. People loose jewelry everyday. 6 billion in the Oceans alone still waiting to be found. Now the silver and gold coins in the parks may soon finally fade away but the gold and silver rings will always be replenished at the parks and beaches. So really I don’t see it as less and less to be found. Our coins right now, in a hundred yrs will be treasure to someone else when the world has gone to digital currency.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we’re dead and gone there will still be treasure in the ground for thousands of yrs after us which will still be in the billions. People loose jewelry everyday. 6 billion in the Oceans alone still waiting to be found. Now the silver and gold coins in the parks may soon finally fade away but the gold and silver rings will always be replenished at the parks and beaches. So really I don’t see it as less and less to be found. Our coins right now, in a hundred yrs will be treasure to someone else when the world has gone to digital currency.

This is a great way of looking at it. You take a broad look at it..

It's just that from an amateur standpoint, treasure hunting will become increasingly difficult with every silver coin plucked from the ground.. old school copper culture fragments that are worth money also become less and less as time passes. Not everybody has access to beach hunting 24/7.. and rings in parks is an oddity rather than a regularity. Even just clad coins will be mostly gone or covered in concrete jungle expansion.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better detectors with metal density technology which enables the user to determine gold from aluminum - which they will have and we can only dream about. I have to envy their situation in the future!

Time to go dig some more pull-tabs...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a great way of looking at it. You take a broad look at it..

It's just that from an amateur standpoint, treasure hunting will become increasingly difficult with every silver coin plucked from the ground.. old school copper culture fragments that are worth money also become less and less as time passes. Not everybody has access to beach hunting 24/7.. and rings in parks is an oddity rather than a regularity. Even just clad coins will be mostly gone or covered in concrete jungle expansion.

One now passed on detectorist combed a village near. No , he didn't get it all , but he sure got some!
When the road was replaced he scored more.
Same village added sidewalks to the park. Which equaled not only fresh dirt , but depth of excavation.
That civil war era park has been pounded for decades. Yet still gives up an oldie now and then.
When those sidewalks went in the project (digging) gave me greater depth. And old silver.

The "bottom" of the park is rubble from a village fire.
Like other civilizations , there are layers of history. Some built atop others.
Whenever disturbed there is a chance of relics being exposed ,or in better reach.

Fill dirt....
Our dirt road had a lot of fill put on it. Stuff was imported with that dirt. From where?

Old payphone sites are invisible many places now. So too the pop/soda machines outside stops along roads at varied businesses. Heck , many buildings are gone and weeds and brush are all that is seen.
I know , cause they were from my youth.

Old buildings being razed sometimes hold secrets. As can the grounds around them.

Future detectorists may need not duplicate our common methods. But there are /were other methods being used all along that can evolve going forward.

Find the history.
Find where people gathered regular in small numbers. Or. gathered in great numbers briefly.
We have "brown" spaces in cities today. And beyond cities What was there?
What of towns bypassed by new highways?
What of the old railstops?
Coach trails?
Have they all been thoroughly searched?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some good thinking releventchair! I've been helping build a house with a friend of mine for the last couple of years and every time we had dirt moved in, I went over it with the detector. Some of it was hauled from known locations that might have had some good stuff. So far no spectacular finds but there's always that one magical beep...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are being born into a world with less and less treasure to be found... It's kinda sad when you really think about it.

I have no doubt they will have more pressing concerns.

But who knows? There may be a "next generation" or two of detectors that increase depth and discrimination greatly. Virtual 3-D headsets that make the first few feet of soil transparent. Or small , relatively inexpensive remote underwater drones.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a young boy, maybe 12 follow me around for 3 hours asking questions the other day, I know what he’ll be asking for Christmas this year. I let him keep some of my best finds, he reminded me of myself when I was his age. Granted he’s already been born but it’s really fun to turn young people on to the hobby, better than playing those video games.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold & silver jewelry lost every day in the water - they will be fine
lots and lots still out in waters over our heads
tons of farm fields out there that finds get turned up with every yrs planting
tons of cellarholes out there to be discovered still

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Digital currency? We’re already there. For years now.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Digital currency? We’re already there. For years now.

We have not yet gone to a complete digital currency world. I’m talking about when it finally does and there is no longer cash or cash transactions. Sure you mean through credit card, debit and online banking, that is technically digital but it’s not whats ahead. Once all the federal banks change completely to digital currency, you will no longer have to wait days for your cheques to clear or your visa payment to process etc, It will be a currency that is instant just as though you handed over “cash”. Not talking about debit or online banking.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum back in the 1800’s was rare to find and more precious than gold.

This is true. The U.S. even capped the Washington monument with a 6 pound pyramid of aluminum in 1884.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to worry about future detector enthusiasts I will rebury all my crusty, nasty zincolns in a mason jar so they have treasure to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread