Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a 2500 for I don't know how long, but over the last 5 or so years I haven't gone out detecting due to severe arthritis, I can't bend my knees to get down to the ground and if I did get down I would need help getting up.
I just got the KellyCo catalog and it got me thinking of getting out next year, right now we are cleaning up after 6 inches of snow here in eastern Mass. This year is out, cold, frozen ground and still bad knees but I am trying to exercise them to get to where I could get out next spring.

I have an Ace 300 (I think) and am selling my Whites surf machine (AT4?) and had my 2500 off the shelf the other day. It seemed a little flaky at first but then settled down, luckily the 5 year old batteries hadn't leaked. Was getting tone and responses but it doesn't seem just right.

Wondering what would be a good machine to replace it with? I would mostly be doing school yards, parks, houses and some beaches (if I find I can walk the sand)

Upvote 0

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't personally help with the beach machine part but there's plenty of those on here who can. As far as your other needs that ace 300 should still work quite well especially if you get an accessory search coil of another configuration to go with it.

Good luck with those knees!

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a 2500 for I don't know how long, but over the last 5 or so years I haven't gone out detecting due to severe arthritis, I can't bend my knees to get down to the ground and if I did get down I would need help getting up.
I just got the KellyCo catalog and it got me thinking of getting out next year, right now we are cleaning up after 6 inches of snow here in eastern Mass. This year is out, cold, frozen ground and still bad knees but I am trying to exercise them to get to where I could get out next spring.

I have an Ace 300 (I think) and am selling my Whites surf machine (AT4?) and had my 2500 off the shelf the other day. It seemed a little flaky at first but then settled down, luckily the 5 year old batteries hadn't leaked. Was getting tone and responses but it doesn't seem just right.

Wondering what would be a good machine to replace it with? I would mostly be doing school yards, parks, houses and some beaches (if I find I can walk the sand)

Has to be an Equinox, a good all rounder and the best bang for the buck machine out there.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another vote for the Equinox. Another benefit it has is it's light weight. Great all-around machine and works fine in salt water.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My first machine was a minelab 50 years ago, didn't know what I was doing and didn't find anything dropped out until about 20 years ago and did it a lot but not for the last 8 or 10 years.

Will check out the 600

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Minelab detector 50 years ago? What model was that?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first machine was a minelab 50 years ago, ....

Minelab started 35 year ago in 1985 helping gold prospectors in Australia with this little beauty

802D4C2E-6F23-41C3-8BFE-F0DA8B104696.jpeg

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lightest machine out there is the XP Deus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread