Looking for somebody’s old metal detector.

Picker719

Greenie
Oct 19, 2020
Cameron, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everybody, I’m really interested in trying out metal detecting and seeing if it’s a hobby I’d like to pursue and I have a feeling it will be. Anyway, I don’t have much money to spend on one so I was wondering if anybody had an old one that they could part with for under a 100 dollars. I know this is alot to ask and don’t expect much to come of it but guess it doesn’t hurt to ask. Thanks everybody for your time and happy hunting!
Todd G

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You might wanna try eBay. You can get a cheap metal detector for 100.00 or less. You might be hard pressed to find a good name brand for that price. Even a used Garrett Ace 250 still goes for around $175.00 or $200.00. Hopefully someone on here may help you.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello....you can get one at Harbor Freight or Dicks Sporting Goods for under $100.00. These are more along the line of fancy toys though, and may not give you the experience you're looking for. It may turn you off from getting more out of this amazing hobby. Here is what I recommend....find a local club or group (tough during Covid) or someone in your community who detects. Most serious detectors have 2-3 machines or at least one quality machine. Ask to join them for a hunt and to learn more. Maybe even just walking along side of them for an hour will be enough time to decide for yourself if it's for you. 9 out of 10 detectorists will be happy to help you learn more, and you could end up with a friend to hunt with down the line.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion don't waste your money at harbor freight or anywhere you can get one for under $100.00, they are usually worthless, I would say go around to pawn shops and see if you can find one there or wait until you can afford to spend a little more, also there are some local dealers who rent out machines, you just have to find them, that way you can see if you like the hobby before you buy a detector.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a local detector shop, you may want to see if you can rent a decent one instead of buying some cheap kid's toy. Many of the entry level detectors can be frustrating to use under certain conditions. A more versatile machine can sometimes help you have a better first experience and more success.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a place here on Tnet where you can look for info in your area. Do not know how to direct you. Sorry.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, welcome to our World Picker719.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a local detector shop, you may want to see if you can rent a decent one instead of buying some cheap kid's toy. Many of the entry level detectors can be frustrating to use under certain conditions. A more versatile machine can sometimes help you have a better first experience and more success.

Correct! Newer machines tell you a lot about the ground and target info.
Intimidating at first, but as you learn your machine and what it can do for you, well,
the whole world of treasure hunting will be open to you...!
So, for your first machine, get a mid-level, where you can tweak the settings some (modes or self-controlled),
perhaps "weather-resistant" or even "Water-proof", something with sealed buttons maybe.
Good Luck AND Happy Hunting...!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also scroll down the Forum page to supporting vendors if you click on the supporting vendors name in the smaller print it will take you to their site and you can look and see if they have a used detector section. I know Metal Detecting Stuff has some used detectors for a little more than $100.00 but not much more. Being a used machine sometimes just means it was an opened box so they can't sell as new anymore. Check out the supporting vendors.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quality only hurts your wallet...ONCE! Save thru the winter and buy a better detector next spring

OP
OP
P

Picker719

Greenie
Oct 19, 2020
Cameron, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everybody for the valuable input, I respect and appreciate your thoughts on this. I’ve decided to keep saving up till I can afford a nicer one because from what I’ve heard the ones in my price range now are basically toys. Thanks again and happy hunting!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks everybody for the valuable input, I respect and appreciate your thoughts on this. I’ve decided to keep saving up till I can afford a nicer one because from what I’ve heard the ones in my price range now are basically toys. Thanks again and happy hunting!

Good plan. You still would find stuff with a cheaper detector and it might pay to get one for now... While you’re saving you could be out finding a gold ring or 2 to help get that detector even quicker. I bought a new detector this spring and found 2 gold rings this summer with it and 2 more with my old AT pro. So it basically paid for itself in a few months. Go out and hit a few parks everyday or every wknd or as much as you can, put in a good hard search and you’ll get the gold. The trick is to dig every darn dang pull tab signal you get and you’ll be putting the rings in your pocket.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw

Shop the second hand market. Welcome!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a Bounty Hunter for about $100 as my first machine and found some decent stuff with it. But then I found a Tesoro at a thrift store for $40 and fell in love with it! I just bought a Nokta Makro Simplex so I can take it in deeper water but haven't had a chance yet. My advice is to check your local thrift stores while saving, you may find a killer deal.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deals are out there.
I've got a friend who found someone selling an AT Gold for only $40.00 and scooped it up.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a metal detector detector.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...and, be SURE to lose yourself in metal detecting videos on YouTube, during the winter, and you will have seen popular machines in use, digging techniques and tips that you won't find just anywhere...good ones, time and energy savers - where hunting all day (can be) a common thing for you...! Watch out, this hobby is ADDICTIVE...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread