Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but don't bother throwing zincolns out there. They disappear really fast under almost all soil conditions. Use the older copper cents.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don’t ya throw some silver and gold! :tongue3:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2200, people will be too lazy to get their fat a**es off the couch to go detecting. It's happening now with sedentary couch potatoes and their electronics.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started detecting back in the late 1970's, I ran into a guy detecting that carried a pocketful of current pennies. When he dug a good coin, he would replace it with one of those pennies in the hole. His reason? To slow down the rest of us as we dug up all his new pennies. He did this in all the parks and schools around Jamestown, NY. It was pretty frustrating.

Scott

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find a gold item or big/old silver (quarter, half, large ring, Seated and older) I leave a (clad) half dollar in the hole for luck. I do this the most often at the beach but occasionally on permissions. It marks the spot on permissions where I made a good recovery so I can find the spot again and makes someone happy on the beach.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH hell I don't do it while I'm hunting, in fact its mostly been just everyday life.

Sitting at a park having lunch, pull something out of my pocket and notice I have pennies. Toss them into the grass.

Definitely not doing it to trip anyone up and surely not in areas that are regularly metal detected.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find a gold item or big/old silver (quarter, half, large ring, Seated and older) I leave a (clad) half dollar in the hole for luck. I do this the most often at the beach but occasionally on permissions. It marks the spot on permissions where I made a good recovery so I can find the spot again and makes someone happy on the beach.

I like this practice!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me throwing zinc pennies in a park is as bad as tossing pull tabs and bottle caps around. NOBODY wants to dig those dang zinc cents and as mentioned above, they will not last long enough to be found in 50 or a hundred years by future detector users. Littering is what it is and most municipalities have laws against that.

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still litterin' even if it's money......
"no officer, I didn't throw that can in the woods.....I am leavin' a nickel for the next guy"

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. And STOP IT!

If the 0.000001% chance that you might stumble across a penny I tossed along side a railroad track upsets you enough to bark orders at a stanger over an internet forum you may want to get your blood pressure checked... just saying.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 0.000001% chance that you might stumble across a penny I tossed along side a railroad track upsets you enough to bark orders at a stanger over an internet forum you may want to get your blood pressure checked... just saying.

Those chances increase exponentially with every knucklehead who reads your post and thinks it's a good idea.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
STINKIN LINCOLNS,I dislike STINKIN LINCOLNS,I plug a STINKIN LINCOLN I return it to where it came from,ALL other trash I pouch.

GOD Bless

Chris

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I wouldn't do it, first off a Zink penny is usually too far gone in 3 years to use. Second reason I would not throw them in the woods as I never detect in the woods unless I would know beyond a doubt larger numbers had used an area once but not to randomly wander there and start swinging.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
If i'm wasting my time digging your throwaways why not make it worth my while and throw out silver? Dimes and quarters will be fine, maybe an occasional Walking Liberty.. No?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care if I ever find another modern clad coin. In 200 years, they'll still be junk. Please take your trash with you! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread