SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Monday. I use Garrett detectors because it's what I know. I use the AT Pro and started with an ACE 400, which is now my back-up machine used by people who join me but don't own their own set up.

I'd like to hear some feedback from the non-Garrett crowd, explaining what it is about Garrett detectors that turns them off. I know you're out there so please comment. Without making this an infomercial for the brand/model you prefer, what is it about Garrett that makes you chose another manufacturer? Thanks I'll appreciate the info and take it all into consideration.

For the record, I do very well with my AT Pro and have no complaints at all. I'd just like to see how the other side lives as a learning experience. Thanks-SBD

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sure sounds like click bait. What detector you use depends on your soil and what you are searching for.

I have an AT GOLD and found some good stuff, but now I own an XP Deus. I could list several things I like better--so light weight I would never go back to a heavier detector. Probably the best thing is the Reactivity speed adjustment for me. I can pull targets out of trashy areas--even slightly trashy areas can hide good targets like gold and silver jewlery. You can tell when some gold comes up several inches deep (usually surrounded by trash) that it was missed by other detectors for years. Or in less trash it can be set wider open for deeper stuff. Several other "comfort" adjustments like Iron Volume. While not part of the detector, the pinpointer goes through the headphones, very nice. The totally wireless (no cables anywhere) is convenient and near flawless. And I like the coil size 9". Well, I'm not a salesman but it's a nice detector. And I never mentioned the legendary ability in iron.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I think it’s just what people start with and get used to and then they just stick with what they like. Sure some believe one company is better than the other but I believe it’s just what they’re used to owning and become brand loyal customers and don’t want to believe that another detector is just as good or better. Minelab, Garrett, XP, Fisher all make great detectors, It’s just what you like and what you know how to use.

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it’s just what people start with and get used to and then they just stick with what they like. Sure some believe one company is better than the other but I believe it’s just what they’re used to owning and become brand loyal customers and don’t want to believe that another detector is just as good or better. Minelab, Garrett, XP, Fisher all make great detectors, It’s just what you like and what you know how to use.

Thanks and I agree. I'm always worried that I'm missing out lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me it isn't about brand loyalty, it's about results. I use what gets the job done. As for what I don't like about Garrett detectors? That would depend on the model. In the Ace and AT series, they suck in wet salt water sand and water hunting compared to other makes and models.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having owned both an Garrett AT Pro and Minelab EQ600 I can say that the Minelab recovers faster, goes a bit deeper and seems to discriminate better plus has more adjustability in it's parameters. Not to mention the minelab pairs with low latency wireless headphones with nothing else needed, just turn 'em both on.

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having owned both an Garrett AT Pro and Minelab EQ600 I can say that the Minelab recovers faster, goes a bit deeper and seems to discriminate better plus has more adjustability in it's parameters. Not to mention the minelab pairs with low latency wireless headphones with nothing else needed, just turn 'em both on.

Thanks that's the exact kind of input I was after.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also mention, i used my AT Pro in the water a bit, even submerging it briefly a couple of times and had no problems. I have not submerged my Minelab, and never will, i don't consider it waterproof, just water resistant given others experiences. Keep that in mind from the get go and you won't be disappointed.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds

AT Pro is going on 11 years old. It’s old technology. Not fair to compare it to the new Minelab. I have an AT pro and of course my Orx puts it to bed. I still like using my Pro in the parks because I know it so well. All the newer detectors coming out are putting a lot of the old dogs to bed. Older, slow, expensive and heavy detectors are slowly loosing the race to what’s coming out right now with newer detectors getting better, faster, lighter, and less expensive.

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro is going on 11 years old. It’s old technology. Not fair to compare it to the new Minelab. I have an AT pro and of course my Orx puts it to bed. I still like using my Pro in the parks because I know it so well. All the newer detectors coming out are putting a lot of the old dogs to bed. Older, slow, expensive and heavy detectors are slowly loosing the race to what’s coming out right now with newer detectors getting better, faster, lighter, and less expensive.

Great point that I hadn't even thought about. I guess next spring I should look around and educate myself. Thanks for the reply-

The funny thing is, that right after I started learning on the ACE400 I remember telling my wife I had all the gear I needed lol. I should have known better and said nothing lol.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It comes down to technology. Garrett just broke into simultaneous multi-frequency tech with the Apex. Minelab is the leader in FBS / SMF tech, and has been for many years. The Minelab Equinox 600 / 800 is light years ahead of Garrett. A knowledgeable user can get incredible depth and separation in even bad or trashy ground. Even the Vanquish 540 beats the depth and sensitivity of the Apex.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started fifty years ago there were basically only two choices, Garrett or Whites. The relic guys I knew preferred the Garrett at the time so I got one and used it for many years. BFO, no discrimination or ground balance but all sites were virgin and I did very well. Then ten years ago I bought a Minelab Safari. Holy cow, I could detect in highly mineralized soil with excellent results which the old BFO just couldn't handle. Loved the Safari but it is very heavy, so I got a Garrett ATP because it weighs less. Like the ATP just fine for general hunting but always knew the Safari had superior depth and the Minelab FBS machines are known super silver sniffers and I used the Safari always when hunting colonial sites. I also got a Garrett PI Infinium for ultra depth without discrimination and salt beaches, use it seldom. Now I have an Equinox 800 which is the lightest, fastest machine I have seen and it made the ATP sit around and only really used as a loaner for friends. So I have no brand fidelity, I just like modern technology and the advances made in modern machines. Wouldn't mind trying a Deus either but for now I think Minelab rules. I understand the new Apex from Garrett falls way short of the Minelabs so I won't be trying one of those. If better technology comes along from any company I will likely try whatever that is but I know for sure that the Minelab multi frequency machines offer the best all around performance available at this time.

Last edited:

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Monday. I use Garrett detectors because it's what I know. I use the AT Pro and started with an ACE 400, which is now my back-up machine used by people who join me but don't own their own set up.

I'd like to hear some feedback from the non-Garrett crowd, explaining what it is about Garrett detectors that turns them off. I know you're out there so please comment. Without making this an infomercial for the brand/model you prefer, what is it about Garrett that makes you chose another manufacturer? Thanks I'll appreciate the info and take it all into consideration.

For the record, I do very well with my AT Pro and have no complaints at all. I'd just like to see how the other side lives as a learning experience. Thanks-SBD

Hey I'm from your area... Originally from Williams Township... moved to Texas in 1985

Seakur

Greenie
Oct 2, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcaliburII -Safari; Garrett Deepseeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first serious detector in the mid 80's and was a Garrett 'Deepseeker'. Man, that thing was sweet! On the tip of the handle was a toggle switch.. flip left Ferrous [All Mode], flip right Non-ferrous. There wasn't ANY laws regarding MDing then and there wasnt any fences around schools or football fields. I found allot with that machine.. some amazing jewelry I still have. I kept my loyalty to Garrett with a Sea Hunter but was disappointed. I went to Minelab Excaliber with all the frequencies and wont go anywhere without it. I find tiny pain-in-the-ass pieces of leader wire 16" deep and bigger things deeper. I then bought a Safari for inland, because of the many frequencies. I find allot of things but I don't like its layout and plethora of sounds so much. I'm still hooked on the simplicity of my 1st Garrett. Hope this helps.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and Compass
I started out with a Compass and did pretty good with it - i could easily hang with the Whites and Garrett guys

When I started fifty years ago there were basically only two choices, Garrett or Whites. The relic guys I knew preferred the Garrett at the time so I got one and used it for many years. BFO, no discrimination or ground balance but all sites were virgin and I did very well. Then ten years ago I bought a Minelab Safari. Holy cow, I could detect in highly mineralized soil with excellent results which the old BFO just couldn't handle. Loved the Safari but it is very heavy, so I got a Garrett ATP because it weighs less. Like the ATP just fine for general hunting but always knew the Safari had superior depth and the Minelab FBS machines are known super silver sniffers and I used the Safari always when hunting colonial sites. I also got a Garrett PI Infinium for ultra depth without discrimination and salt beaches, use it seldom. Now I have an Equinox 800 which is the lightest, fastest machine I have seen and it made the ATP sit around and only really used as a loaner for friends. So I have no brand fidelity, I just like modern technology and the advances made in modern machines. Wouldn't mind trying a Deus either but for now I think Minelab rules. I understand the new Apex from Garrett falls way short of the Minelabs so I won't be trying one of those. If better technology comes along from any company I will likely try whatever that is but I know for sure that the Minelab multi frequency machines offer the best all around performance available at this time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel you hand me any brand and give me time to learn it and i will do good
lot of guys that got into hobby because of me - tried to teach them and help them -but
they figured its so easy - just turn on and go - machines sitting in closet or sold it within the year :dontknow:

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT works good but I had so many problems..and so many people have had problems..its just not made very good... bad coil , bad camlocks , bad armcuff, box braking off,, box leaking coil jack coming loose from the inside of control box.. screen separating...static wire coming loose inside box.....I think its the worst metal detector ever made...but it works good ,,,, when its working lol... I will never go back to garret... even the there pro pinpointer is crap!

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had the same question. I grew up on Whites. I had a little baby Whites with the little box and separate coil. My whole family got into detecting. I moved up to the Coinmaster series, etc. and metal detected for years. I still had an old Whites I used here and there, but didn't hunt hardly at all in the late 90's-early 2000's. About 4 years ago I missed it so much I decide to get back into it. I did some research and seen all these videos with these guys doing literal cartwheels with their finds using the Garrett AT Pro. So I bought one. I do not like it. I have learned to use it, but I am moving to the coast of SC this year. When I have taken it down there (I currently live in NC) it sucks. It hates the salt water beaches and relic hunting drives me crazy. If your close to the coast it's noisy, and the difficulty it has deciphering from iron makes me want to quit at times. I have detected with friends who used a Minelab EQ800 and it blew my AT Pro away. We check the same signals. His detected goodies and mine couldn't make up it's mind even when settings were changed. My other bud has a Fisher. It also was clear on signals compared to mine. That has convinced me that the AT Pro may be decent on some things, but I will be buying an Minelab ASAP. Garrett will be riding backup. I really feel for the money I paid for the AT, it is not worth it by a long shot. So much for the drama dudes and their cartwheels! Lol!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair, the AT series are good detectors. In soil and dry sand without much in the way of mineralization, and targets that aren't too terribly deep, they work great. It's just that there are better machines for about the same money that do more and are better at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread