Getting back into detecting - which machine?

LeslieTx

Nov 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detected in the 1990s and early 2000s. I had several detectors, my favorites were Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Excalibur. I'm looking for a best all around detector, relic, beach, park, etc. Right now I'm leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800. I would appreciate getting advice from those using the newer machines.

Upvote 0

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Does Minelab use blister-type mylar buttons? We had a washer and dryer with them and all of them cracked and broke. Any issues like that with Minelab gear? The Garrett appears to have more traditional rubber buttons.
I have an etrac that is 8 years old, and still has no issues with cracked or broke buttons. I have a rain cover on it, and I recommend them for any detector they are made for. Keeps your display from getting poked by a stick or scratched, or if it isn't a waterproof machine, keeps the water out.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more vote for the Equinox 800. I've got maybe 300 hours on it now between last year and this, and it's helped me find some amazing things.
I've detected in some areas where any detector would have had trouble with EMI, and its ability to allow me to change/choose individual frequencies when Multi-IQ is to noisy has been very helpful.
I have the 6" coil along with the stock coil, and for smaller areas (backyards in town, heavy iron around an old homesite) the 6" coil is amazing. I literally don't have to pinpoint with it (because it's already such a small coil).
And the final comment is that the detection speed is very, very fast (meaning there's no perceptible lag between being over the target and the machine making a beep). The only detector that seems to be even sharper is the XP Deus apparently.
Plus the 50-tones audio is excellent and helpful if you can adjust to using it (some people like the 5 tones or even 2 tone option. The good part is that the Equinox 800 gives you all those choices).

The one thing that seems funky to some "old timers" is the VDI scale of -9 to +40, but it's pretty easy to adjust to (from someone who came from a Whites MXT Pro with its 0-100 scale).

Good luck!

- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions