Detector with no discrimination?

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a detector that does not discriminate ANYTHING except hot rocks, and that goes deep.

Any suggestions?

Any Pulse Induction machine (minelab gpx for example) will do the job.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors when placed in all metal mode do not discriminate anything out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want to hear hot rocks, you'll have to accept some degree of discrimination/filtering. There are some machines that have a psued0-all metal (Equinox for example), but, it still runs the signal through a processor. Depending on settings, it may not do much, but, it still does some filtering, such as tone I.D. Even a P.I. such as a GPX5000 or GPZ uses some filtering for hot rocks and ground mineralization.

All About Tone

Greenie
Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPX machines, to a lesser extent SD and GP machines. If looking for larger items, go with SD's with DD coils.

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a detector that does not discriminate ANYTHING except hot rocks, and that goes deep.

Any suggestions?

Hello Phil,

Have you discovered any techniques with discrimination settings, etc to avoid hot rocks? I am in North Georgia and cursed with hot rocks here in gold country. I welcome any insight you have. I too may buy a metal detector one day that avoids hot rocks, but not at that budget yet. Thank you.

Wings19

Greenie
Oct 19, 2020
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800&600
Whites 5900 di pro
Garrett ATX Deep Seeker
Nokta Makro Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Phil,

Have you discovered any techniques with discrimination settings, etc to avoid hot rocks? I am in North Georgia and cursed with hot rocks here in gold country. I welcome any insight you have. I too may buy a metal detector one day that avoids hot rocks, but not at that budget yet. Thank you.
Here in the Upper peninsula of Michigan we have aton of hot rocks small to size of vehicles. I use a equinox 800 for coins and float copper but to identify a hot rock you have to turn on the horseshoe button (all metal mode) and they will read as a negative number. So i would think any detector running in all metal would do the same.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F-75 has a separate side scale for magnetite (Fe3O4). So hot rocks and black sand give high readings on that scale. When I see that I am suspect of the target.

I usually run just a hair of discrimination (5 out of 99 on the scale) and listen to targets rather than mask them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread