NEW DETECTOR--NEED ADVICE (CTX 3030)

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 1500 (board is out)
Ok, so last time I posted, I was asking for recommendations while shopping for a new detector. My Hubs surprised me with a Minelab CTX 3030 with the 17" coil! My original post was me looking for a good quality "light weight" detector...well...so much for light weight! But, hey...I surely can't complain about such a nice gift right!

I am LOST with this thing. What can you recommend for me to learn the basics? I've done just a little basic hunting so far, only finding trash and and some spent bullets. I'm digging everything trying to gather some experience/insight.

ANY help will be MUCH appreciated! :hello:

Upvote 0

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Andy Sabisch has a series of books on the minelabs. The one for the equinox has helped me quite a bit. He has one for the ctx3030, you should check it out. I’m considering buying a 3030 and I’ll probably buy the book before I buy the machine.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Did your CTX also come with the stock coil?

I would learn the stock coil before using the 17" - less ground noise coming out of the speaker....

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you interpret information the best way hands on or can you read instructions or look at a video and retain the information.Do you have anyone you can go out with that already has a metal detector that might be able to help. Sometimes joining a club with other people who have metal detecting experience is real good to you can get up to speed real quick.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Study the manual, make a simple "poligon" with various items burried in your back yard and learn the machine responds, play with settings (change one at a time) and notice the difference.

Give your husband a kiss- that is a great gift.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread