Recommendations needed for older detectorist

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
My father in law loves to metal detect, but has trouble getting up from the ground after getting down to dig. Do you all have any suggestions as to something that would be easy to pack around and still allow him to get up and down? He currently uses a hand digger, so maybe just going to a shovel would be better, as he could use the handle to help him get up. But does anyone use anything else? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't recommend any detector be used as a crutch. A "D" handled spade might help, but, it's not something you generally want to bring to a park or school. They tend to attract attention and are frowned upon by all who see them being used there.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
He needs an assistant, like gary has on the show curse of Oak Island

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he lives anywhere near a beach he could use a sand scoop. He could also try carrying a cane with him if that would help.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all have to respect any physical limitations, getting up from a crouched position requires an effort mainly of the legs [to point out the obvious] ,,, If he is having trouble with that I really think he should find another hobby, pushing it is likely to aggravate the situation.
Only other suggestion is to limit his detecting to an area where you don't necessarily have to kneel or even bend - A beach with a long handled sand scoop. Not exactly ideal this time of year in most locations with winter coming on, activity has been slow due to covid, usually alot of competition and many folks don't have a beach nearby.

Groovieguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2020
Spring Hill Florida
Detector(s) used
ATMax Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first post that I can maybe shed some light on have a physical disability and the mind wanting to detect. I’m just getting back after being sidelined for 4 years battling Cancer. I’m not cured but under control�� I lost 26 lbs and most muscle strength is gone, I’m working on it doing light weights and good cardio. Ok that’s where these ideas come in, I would get those little cable/electrical line markers with the flag. Detect the area marking good signals then come back to them getting on the ground and just move around on the ground if it’s easier. I know my issues are squatting and getting up too. I purchased a 36” tall (I’m 5 10”) I thought the 32 was a tad short. Just watch out for the weight as some are really heavy 3+ lbs. Also they make those graboid grippers for getting things out of the cupboard might work. Or be that Great son-in-law and dig all his hits�� If he’s overweight that is even a bigger issue, hopefully he isn’t or slightly

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
My first post that I can maybe shed some light on have a physical disability and the mind wanting to detect. I’m just getting back after being sidelined for 4 years battling Cancer. I’m not cured but under control I lost 26 lbs and most muscle strength is gone, I’m working on it doing light weights and good cardio. Ok that’s where these ideas come in, I would get those little cable/electrical line markers with the flag. Detect the area marking good signals then come back to them getting on the ground and just move around on the ground if it’s easier. I know my issues are squatting and getting up too. I purchased a 36” tall (I’m 5 10”) I thought the 32 was a tad short. Just watch out for the weight as some are really heavy 3+ lbs. Also they make those graboid grippers for getting things out of the cupboard might work. Or be that Great son-in-law and dig all his hits If he’s overweight that is even a bigger issue, hopefully he isn’t or slightly
Thanks for the input. He doesn't want to quit, not at this point, so it is going to have to be a solution such as a shovel or something. He has used a cane but its just something else to have to pack along when detecting. We are landlocked, not near any beaches, so that rules the sand scoops out.

Marking the targets is a good idea, but sometimes you go a pretty good ways before you find another target, so while this would work in a small area, a bigger yard or field would present the same challenges. But this would work in the smaller yards.

I guess the best solution is a t handle shovel he can use as a support to push up with. I remember just a few years back, it wasn't an issue for him. I just hope my health holds out when I get his age so this won't be an issue, because I would probably give it up as it would be frustrating for me as I know it is for him. You got to admire someone that weathers through an illness and still gets out there. So I salute you, Groovieguy for getting out there and doing what you love. You and my father in law have my admiration with your never quit attitudes.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the Lesche T handle shovels would help. Of course you have to be careful of where you are seen with them. I use one a lot and find it helps getting up and in some situations I don't have to get down with the small digger. Or like someone said.... you could get a shovel caddy like Gary on Oak Island.........

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm facing much the same situation as Marjam's father-in-law, in that
if I'm down on my knees, then getting back up on my feet is difficult.
Add to that a compromised balance system, and being completely
deaf in my right ear. Basically, my body's shot...but I'm going anyway. moose.gif

I've decided that come late Spring I want to get out and hit some
parks, and maybe even make a trip down towards Seattle and re-hunt
some of my old haunts from "back in the day".

I haven't done any serious detecting for years, although I did take
my Fors Gold machine over to the local HS a couple times. Only
detected about 30 min. each time, and that was several years ago.

Plan this Winter is to get my legs and back in shape. Thanks to Jesse425
I have a treadmill, and the plan is to walk on the treadmill and then
do squats (slowly..lol) to strengthen the back. At 61, I should still be
able to gain some cardio, leg, and back improvement.

Also plan to use one of my walking sticks. They are lightweight
and very sturdy, and are made from the stalks of Devil's Club.
With a rubber crutch tip, I can put all my weight on it while
standing up. It's also a great defensive weapon, should the need
arise, and at around 5' it's long enough to hold a mean dog at bay.

Has he considered doing any therapy to gain strength in his legs?

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More power to you guys who won't give up, thats the spirit I like, and mental attitudes can and do influence physical.

I wouldn't worry much about getting snide looks at parks carrying a shovel, if thats what you need to gain needed mobility/dexterity then by all means, use them.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "gardening disability aids" they have some sit down carts on wheels that would get him down close enough to dig yet high enough to stand back up and could also carry the digging tool on the cart ,a water bottle, a small trash can and would give a portable resting area. After looking at them it has me thinking of getting one of them. As I have bad knees and a bad back.

Last edited:

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I am 78 and slender. Getting up is getting harder for me. I use an ordinary round-blade shovel, a "lady's model" with a small blade and a long handle. It is light and inoffensive but allows making a fairly small plug and can be used as a getting-up aid. One thing that really helps me is when I am in rough situations, like a field, where plugs are not necessary, I dig, remain standing and spread the material out. If I don't see the target, I run the detector over it again and gently move the material with the tip of the shovel where the detector says the target is. Quite often, if this finds it, I can pick it up with the shovel, not getting down at all. This cuts my downs and ups by maybe 50%. Of course, I fill the hole too, using either the shovel or my feet while standing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing... get rid of the hand digger as your tool.

I think I can count how many times I have used a hand digger.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 78 and slender. Getting up is getting harder for me. I use an ordinary round-blade shovel, a "lady's model" with a small blade and a long handle. It is light and inoffensive but allows making a fairly small plug and can be used as a getting-up aid. One thing that really helps me is when I am in rough situations, like a field, where plugs are not necessary, I dig, remain standing and spread the material out. If I don't see the target, I run the detector over it again and gently move the material with the tip of the shovel where the detector says the target is. Quite often, if this finds it, I can pick it up with the shovel, not getting down at all. This cuts my downs and ups by maybe 50%. Of course, I fill the hole too, using either the shovel or my feet while standing.

Good method, maybe a pinpointer on a stick would help too

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I found a trapper shovel that is pretty affordable. They have a blaze orange powder coated version too. It is 28 inches in length. I ordered this for him and will see how it holds up. I doubt it to be as tough as the Lesche or grave digger shovels, but for the detecting he does, mostly in sports fields and school yards, along with residential lawns, I think this will be ok. 20201204_115311.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been blessed with excellent health for my 65+ years, but this year, experienced excruciating, tears in the eyes pain from my right knee when kneeling. I realized that I always dropped on the same knee when recovering targets, scooping cat litter, and doing carpentry. I thought it would be easy but its hard to switch from the right to the left knee! I've increased my fossil hunting during the pandemic and use an adjustable sand scoop called a sand dipper. I now carry a kneeling pad around when kneeling can't be avoided. An orange one is harder to loose.

davefoy

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old graphite golf club that I cut the metal head off off. I used some Pvc pipe pieces to make a handle that fits down over the club grip. I do need to come up with an idea to make the point of the club a little wider so it doesn't sink into the dirt so far. Very light and doesn't sound off when the detector gets near.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sports fields are not a place for shovels,probes only. I also have a hard time getting up (bad back) I carry a Lesche T handle shovel

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
sports fields are not a place for shovels,probes only. I also have a hard time getting up (bad back) I carry a Lesche T handle shovel
This shovel's head looks to be a little smaller than a lesche t handle shovel, about the width of a lesche digger. Sort of a hand trowel with a long handle is really all it is. I dont think anyone would have issue with him using it, especially the places we go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions