Best detector for 11 year old

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ruined an 11 year old by taking him metal detecting and his parents want to get him a detector for Christmas. He was using my Tesoro Compadre and I sent him home with a Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 to use until he gets his own. I recommended getting him a Compadre but didn't realize how hard that they are to find now. Can I get some opinions on a good detector under $200 for him? If anybody has a Compadre that they would like to sell, I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under $200 tough new, might be able to find an Ace 250 on craigslist for that, great starter detector

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like great deal for the new price of $150!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used it but I've heard A LOT of good things about the Nokta Simplex. I think it's in the range of $250ish.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex, IMHO and which I have and like, would not be an ideal machine for a kid to start with.

They shouldn't be concerned with scrolling through options, updating and learning curve when first starting, just digging beeps.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah you're probably right. Might be a bit much for someone just starting.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to All of you. I will pass this info on to his mother. The picture above shows Michael with his father finding pieces of a bracelet under a park bench. His father turned around and said "what's that" and picked up a 10k gold ring off the top of the ground. IMG_1399.JPG

Flip5569k

Mar 23, 2020
Central North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Fisher F75,
Fisher 1266x,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not a Land Ranger Pro? Its a pretty simple detector that is good for the price. Has a 11" waterproof DD coil and ground grab for $250~ on Amazon. Has some good depth. Does what you need it to do without all those other bells and whistles you dont really need. And besides 11 year olds are pretty tech savvy nowadays anyways. : )

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some fine suggestions. About 30 years ago, my young son wanted to tag along and he was fascinated by the "treasures". I got him a Tesoro Amigo (or Amigo II). If you stumble into one of those old machines, it is a fine choice for a child even younger than 11.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can power up a Simplex and hunt with it without setting up anything yet still hit good targets

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Vanquish would be another solid choice. Turn on and go.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any detector can be "point and shoot" but where there are buttons and options, kids especially are going to want to explore them.
Which may be fine, average 11 year old could likely watch a few vids and tweak a simplex as well as any one of us.

Its the principle of starting with a ding machine and honing your skills with something basic, simple and accurate is what I think is important, then working your way up to something more advanced and capable. Plus, you are not likely to find any simplex under $200 as per the OP, Ace 250 you can.

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Ace 250, Whites XLT, MP-35 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under $200 tough new, might be able to find an Ace 250 on craigslist for that, great starter detector

I second the 250. Gave the one I bought for my wife years ago to my 11 year old and he loves it. Light, easy to learn and tears up those tot lots.

Heck, sometimes if I only have time to hit a tot lot before dark I'll use the 250 instead of my Equinox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread