gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why folks think these are necessary. I have been detecting for fifty years with many different machines and have never had a problem with broken ears on any machine. This problem is caused by folks who think they need to really tighten those coil bolts, the fact is one doesn't. My coils always ride on the loose side, loose enough that when I hunt the coil automatically follows the contour of the ground. Not flopping around, but loose enough that it moves with the contour. No crazy squirrels are going to come out and unscrew your coil nut and the plastic nuts don't really back themselves out. If you don't over tighten the nut you will not break a coil ear. I am a ground scrubber, keeping my coil down on the grass or dirt but with the coil on the loose side I have no problem with the ears.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right-do not over tighten the bolt or use the equinox as a crutch to help get up off the ground after digging targets. Carbon fiber stiffeners would be fine if you really want it.

OP
OP
V

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your responses. I’m looking at the stiffeners as insurance more than anything else. I don’t tighten my coil up that tight already. But if so many people are having problems, that tells me that they are under engineered IMHO. So I’m looking to beef them up to protect against inadvertent mishaps. But I hate the way the 3D printed versions look. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread