How to Hunt Cellars?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a cellar on my relics site! It was in the woods covered with poison Ivy, during the 'green months', so I didn't see it. But even now I know I'll have to be very careful hunting it, because there's ivy all around it! I've never hunted a cellar so feel free to give tips and advice (any good ideas for the poison ivy appreciated too)!

Attachments

• M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar.jpg
    M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar2.jpg
    M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I hunt cellar holes, I usually start close, as that is where the highest concentration of relics is. Gridding the site is the best way to find the most.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted cellar holes for a long time but they are fun and a great place to find buttons. I found some cellar holes of small homes burned by the British in 1814 in the months before burning the White House. The inside corners had more soil piled up and it helped to scrape that material out with a trowel in the manner of an archaeological dig. If it was on my own property, I'd use a shaker table.

Long sleeves and gloves and best for poison ivy but of course, then you get one of those hairy vines hit you in the face - so much for preparation... Wash up promptly with soaps that remove the poison ivy resin. I use a fels naptha laundry soap bar in the shower.

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt cellar holes, I usually start close, as that is where the highest concentration of relics is. Gridding the site is the best way to find the most.

So, is there any special way or area of the cellar to be sure to hunt? Can you tell me, is it only a few feet deep because the (sod?) roof likely caved-in and is now on the floor, or etc?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know anyone who actually finds anything inside the actual hole. Even the area directly around the foundation is difficult to hunt because of the huge amount of iron from nails from walls and roofs that have collapsed. About 3’ away to 25’ is the hot area. Then look where the well is, where the horse carriage who drop people off, flat areas where the kids would play. I also bring a pack of Clorox type wipes with me and I wipe down every hour when messing with poison ivy. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions