Poor neglected detectors languishing unused in closets

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Ace 250, Whites XLT, MP-35 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed when out hunting public spaces that it seems like everyone I talk to mentions that they have a detector sitting in their closet that they have never used / used once or twice.

It really makes me wonder how many detectors are sold, used once, and gather dust until they have pass away or decide to get rid of it in a yard sale.

Last public park I talked to three folks:

1. A 92 year old gentleman who talked about the history of the park & town and mentioned he has an old Garret from the 70's he's had since it was new.

2. A late 60's gentleman who mentioned he had the same detector my son has (Ace 250) but had never opened the box.

3. A mid 50's gentleman who got one from an anniversary rewards program at his work, but had never opened it.

I suppose it means there's less folks out there for competition, but still makes me a bit sad that so many try the hobby once or twice then throw their hands up in frustration and quit.

Just an observation that struck me as funny and was wondering if you folks have encountered the same.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people watch the TV shows on detecting, develop $ signs in their eyes on treasures just jumping out of the ground and buy detector, they then find that it actually requires physical work and when they don't find anything valuable after a couple hunts become discourage and quit.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope those closet queens don't have old batteries left in them...

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And most of the time they are a cheap basic model. Ever notice how you can't seem to find a good deal on a high end model? It happens, but it's rare to find someone selling there detector for 50% of new price.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a mania, about 10 years ago, in our country; searching for the welth of precestors. Tipycali, the individuals new exactely their precestors had stached hudge amounth of welth somewhere, but they didn't know exactly where. They usually bought the metal detector and used it few thimes on their property, giving up shortly. Few optimistic ones came back for deeper and deeper detector but it did not help. This is how i ended with makeing ala-carte PI with polarization power of about 800W (compare that with microwawe oven), and a hudge pile of lead acid batteries powering it - for a short thime. It was able to find larger target at about 8 - 9m, i do not belive anyone actually dug that deep.

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never know what those defectors would find if they don't come out of the closet

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sister is one of those people, I think she has a Whites collecting dust.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I've had the same statements made to me about having a detector in the closet, garage, when they notice mine propped up in the cab of my truck at say a gas station or somewhere. I mean like I just never see anyone else out hunting within 50 miles of me and I cruise around a lot.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Off the top of my head I can think of almost fifteen people who have a detector but don't detect... some of them even have nice ones like AT Pros and that sort of thing. When I tell people I metal detect I don't think some of them really understand that to find stuff you have to go out and dig... like A LOT. They want to just go out and find it. I often hear people say their detector must be broken because they keep finding trash. *sigh*

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not talked to anyone personally, but I suspect access to hunting areas contributes to the phenomenon. If you are too shy to seek permissions, and your local area frowns on detecting public ground, then you might just not know how to pursue the hobby and quickly give up.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not talked to anyone personally, but I suspect access to hunting areas contributes to the phenomenon. If you are too shy to seek permissions, and your local area frowns on detecting public ground, then you might just not know how to pursue the hobby and quickly give up.
Definitely true for a lot of people... sometimes I don't go detecting solely because I don't feel like getting a new permission. I know some people though who own multiple old sites or even live in a super old house but have only gotten their detector out once or twice because the first thing they found was a can.

OP
OP

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of people watch the TV shows on detecting, develop $ signs in their eyes on treasures just jumping out of the ground and buy detector, they then find that it actually requires physical work and when they don't find anything valuable after a couple hunts become discourage and quit.

It's that short period between locating the target and finding out what it really is that's most addicting to me. I mean sure it's almost positively a pull tab... But it could be a ring. That's what keeps me coming back.

OP
OP

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that. I'm fortunate to live in a small town that doesn't raise a fuss about the parks (so far).

OP
OP

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Off the top of my head I can think of almost fifteen people who have a detector but don't detect... some of them even have nice ones like AT Pros and that sort of thing. When I tell people I metal detect I don't think some of them really understand that to find stuff you have to go out and dig... like A LOT. They want to just go out and find it. I often hear people say their detector must be broken because they keep finding trash. *sigh*

Well darn, maybe my detector is broken too then! :P

OP
OP

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely true for a lot of people... sometimes I don't go detecting solely because I don't feel like getting a new permission. I know some people though who own multiple old sites or even live in a super old house but have only gotten their detector out once or twice because the first thing they found was a can.

I'm sure the articles that make it into the news don't help either. The guy in Scotland who buys a detector and finds a history changing find on his first hunt. Makes people think it works like that for everyone. If only that were true!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like any new activity, it is extremely helpful to have a mentor teach the new user the ropes. When that doesn't happen, the new user can get discouraged.

I help people learn to flyfish and detect and it does make a difference for them.

All About Tone

Greenie
Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold most of mine, the ones I keep stored away are ones I've modded and can't really sell, there's two that needs some solder work.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its like a lot of purchases consumers make. You gotta be committed to what ever it is. I've seen people buy boats, campers, motorcycles, atv's, telescopes, expensive photo equipment, fishing gear, snowmobiles, time shares and a lot of make my like better merchandise and do very little with it. I got a metal detector, but I just don't have the focus thats clearly needed to be successful with such a device. Still its really interesting to see and read about all the stories from those who are committed to the art of finding treasure with a metal detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread