Laws about detecting curb strips (AKA Road Verge) in your area.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Laws about detecting curb strips (AKA Road Verge) in your area.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2020
    Michigan, USA
    Garrett AT PRO and Pro pin pointer
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Laws about detecting curb strips (AKA Road Verge) in your area.

So I am curious to know if anyone has ran into trouble metal detecting around the curb strips (The area between the sidewalk and street) in your town /city?
    I have done quite a bit of "Digging" online, and see that these areas are typically considered public property. However, I reached out to my local police department (in Ann Arbor, Michigan) for more info, they got back to me after 1-1/2 months with an email saying "As for public property, it would likely be okay to simply metal detect. However, actually digging up and taking items would be a different matter. For these reasons, I would suggest that you enjoy your hobby on property where you have the expressed permission of the owner". Well this kind of defeats the purpose of the hobby doesn't it? Also if the property is 'Public' can the police restrict this activity? I know there may be different laws State to State, but I see guys digging these areas on Youtube all the time.
    Has anyone been approached by the police for detecting these areas?
    Thanks
    Ed Rogers and Noah_D like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9296 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    See what happens when you ask instead of just looking up the rules yourself? You get someone's personal opinion instead of law. If there is nothing prohibiting metal detecting, it isn't illegal. Now, that being said, sure, you're going to run across people (both private and public employees) that will complain, or, tell you that you can't do that. If it's an official of some sort, just comply and come back another day and time. If it's private party, such as the land owner in back of that curb strip, just smile and move down the road. The only cop that has ever told me to stop was when I just happened to be in front of the mayor's house ! The rest of the complaints I've received were the "land barons" who think they own that chunk of land. I tend to pick and chose which section I hunt. I generally avoid well manicured strips. They're less likely to have good targets, and more likely to get someone upset if I want to cut a plug.
    ​Avitech Associate

Oct 2020
    Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
    AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
    54 times
    Great question!!! Don’t know of any laws prohibiting this in NJ. Personally just always feel skidish about any onlookers such as passers by, even in cars, not to mention the homeowner on the other side of the sidewalk peering out from behind their curtains. I’d rather detect far from the onlooking eyes of the maddening crowd. ���� The white lie I thought of using if ever confronted anywhere while detecting is that “my daughter lost a ring in the vicinity” ��

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    288 times
    Any city property where I live is off limits to metal detecting due to some idiots digging gopher size holes at the fairgrounds and not properly filling them in.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    25245 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    Any city property where I live is off limits to metal detecting due to some idiots digging gopher size holes at the fairgrounds and not properly filling them in.
    I lost out on a prime park where I recovered 16 gold,and,lost count of silver jewelry due to a stunt like that.

The wicked are not stupid; they simply abuse their God-given talents ambitiously and ruthlessly manipulate or eliminate anyone who stands in their way. They ascend to power with the game of “hurt and rescue” – first causing the chaos, and then fixing it with wrong answers.

When they ascend to positions of authority in society, they rob the innocent of their mental health and freedoms, then sanitize and legitimize the perverted and the wicked. A proliferation of dangerous advice confounds the good and gives license to the decadent.

There is only one kind of life that is meaningful, and that is the life that comes from seeing things for yourself. The only happiness you will ever have is when you find meaning and understanding in yourself without someone having to tell you.

​The Key...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-RjlJ6vWw

​My Photos.....https://www.viewbug.com/member/alwayslookin

us
    Nov 2020
    Michigan, USA
    24 times
    I typically prefer to detect in more private areas myself, but I had a short window to hunt one day, and found 5 wheaties in a 20 yard stretch of sidewalk. Now I'm really interested in hitting those areas, but am fuzzy on the rules for this, and the police were not helpful.
    I don't mind the occasional passer by that has a comment, but I guess I'll just play dumb if the cops ever do show up.
    I like the lost ring angle too!
    Thanks guys
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Nov 2020
    Michigan, USA
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdog View Post
    "One bad apple..."

us
    E-Trac Wizard

May 2016
    Chester County, PA
    E-Trac
    273 times
    Metal Detecting
    The homeowners on the other side typically maintain them (at least around here), and while they legally do not own them, they think they do. You will get attitude eventually. Pick your spots.
    Oldest US: 1793 chain cent; 1800 half dime | 1830 bust half | 1842 seated half | 1857 & 1876CC seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Jul 2013
    1829 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Detect my boulevard all you want.. I wouldn’t care if some guy was next to my yard detecting on public property as long as he dug proper holes..It’s the inconsiderate jerks that don’t pick up their dog crap that bothers me!
    xr7ator, tmac20, Noah_D and 1 others like this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    456 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    If they don't cite the law then it's only their opinion. Just do it until the cops come to say you've violated the law and ask them to tell you which one. If a law then apologize and tell the officer you're sorry and won't do it again. (that day)

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17674 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    we usually call them "tree belts" - yrs ago they either had trees or still do
    in the early 80s there were 100s of hunters in my area and schools and parks were hammered
    i started hitting them in older towns in the area and cleaned up - until others saw me doing them or heard from grapevines i was getting lots of silver and nice coins ...then others started doing them
    try finding ones around parks and schools that others are afraid to hit due to being near traffic
    ones near old parade routes
    have done well on ones outside of old cemeteries
    ones near old stores - real old candy stores
    ones near old churches
    was shocked at amount of silver found on old neighborhood ones
    you should do good if you are in area that gets snow - sidewalks get shoveled and dumped on them
    tmac20, grisso3, NC Digger and 1 others like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, II, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass X-100, Compass Judge 2,
    1682 times
    In my town we call them "parking strips." The city owns the land from the sidewalk out to the street, but the property owner is required to maintain the strip. And, yes, many property owners think they own the strip. One of the best ways I have found is to ask the homeowner nicely for permission to hunt the strip. In their mind it is no different than asking to hunt their lawn, and many will grant you permission. But... some won't!
    tmac20, IDXMonster and sprailroad like this.

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    1075 times
    Metal Detecting
    I just called my PDs regular non emergency number and they connected me to the department of public works. The person I talked to there was like "between the sidewalk and the road? yeah thats public property, knock yourself out!"
    tmac20, CASPER-2 and NC Digger like this.
    The universe rewards the observant.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9296 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgivs View Post
    I just called my PDs regular non emergency number and they connected me to the department of public works. The person I talked to there was like "between the sidewalk and the road? yeah thats public property, knock yourself out!"
    What would you have done if the person on the phone said it was off limits?.........and there is no rule against it? Hunt it anyway, or, stay away based just on that one phone call to some bored and biased bureaucrat? Who cares what an unknown somebody says on the phone. It's what is written down in law that it should be based on. But, as my old tag line ("jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so") indicates to me, even then, it's not always followed in practice. You can follow the rules to the letter, and still find someone who will complain, or, have their own idea on how others should conduct themselves. Give them a badge and they can make things miserable for you.
    tmac20, nuggetdog and sprailroad like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Jan 2019
    41 times
    If the curb strip is maintained by the local municipality then I would say hunt it until you are told different...if this strip is in front of a house or in a neighborhood is maintained by the residents I would stay off without permission to detect in front of each house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links