93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 Function
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I had been using a cheap HF50 harbor freight detector. The other day I finally got a simplex with the wireless phones and pulsedive pinpointer.
Ive been out a little the past 2 days swinging in my yard. I have 10 acres available to detect. To my knowledge in the past, its always just been open field and pasture. The ground mixes from soft to a majority of it being pretty rocky in spots. There appears to be a lot of iron everywhere also.

When you start walking a lot like mine, how do you go at it. Do you start at one corner of the square lot, and start walking along the edges, and then scoot over a couple feet and walking back the direction you came, and then do the same again. Basically going back and forth?

So far I a have been using field mode on 2.78 and 7 sensitivity. I decided yesterday to take my sensitivity down 1 notch.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always hunt the area between where the car/ truck/wagon would have been parked to the nearest door of the house. Then I do sidewalks, clotheslines, paths to sheds & outhouse, springhouse or well.

OP
OP
93civEJ1

93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always hunt the area between where the car/ truck/wagon would have been parked to the nearest door of the house. Then I do sidewalks, clotheslines, paths to sheds & outhouse, springhouse or well.

hahaha thanks...except there has never been a home until we built on it. It has always just been open field / pasture with nothing.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would first research the history of your ten acres using archived maps; looking for improvements or recorded incidences that may have been constructed or occurred on your site, yet are currently unknown to you.
Don..........

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm hunting lawns I try to think like I'm cutting the grass. Organized rows, back and forth, etc. Overlapping each lane so I don't miss anything. You'll find stuff regardless of the homes age, especially if it was farmland previously. Have fun and let us know what comes up.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was farmed, there could have been a barn on the property, or a route to a neighboring barn. Also, could it have been a route used in any CW campaign or travel? Is there a drinking water source nearby?

I believe that I would be inclined to walk the property with or even without a detector to look for any signs (broken glass, ceramics, bricks) of some feature that would have had some human activity, including prehistoric.

Don't focus on what is not there (homesite) but on what is - especially if the ground is turned over or has some topography.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If it is one big field, I would look for high spots in the field. There could have been a structure built on the higher ground once upon a time. All the other tips everyone else has mentioned too, research old maps, walk the field and look for signs of habitation.

Another good way to find concentrations of iron in the ground would be to walk the grounds with your detector in all metal, not swinging it, just have it on with the coil level to the ground. By doing this, you can pinpoint pockets of iron. Take flags and mark where you get signals by doing this, and then look for a pattern in the flags, like if you have some in a cluster, for example. This is a quick way to find an area you might want to concentrate on. I have did this at new places I dont know alot about, and it has paid off for me.

Good luck...

beepbleep

Oct 25, 2019
Jordan's Saline, Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
historicmapworks.com

Right here. I've found three old homeplaces on my property with the aerial photo viewer. Some years are fuzzy but the really old black and white ones from the 1950's showed me where the old barns and sheds were. The old driveways at the houses, dropping things in the dirt getting in and out of cars and wagons. What a resource for everywhere.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you don't have to be in a hurry on this, if you really want to get good coverage, and the land is relatively uncluttered, flat and trimmed, put together a 4' square of pvc to search in. Start in one corner of the property and move it as you go. Secure it with plastic stakes so you can keep it square as you move and grid each 4' square. Make a drawing with each section numbered and mark down which ones you got a signal you want to investigate. If you need to come back later, measure over from the property lines to these sections and do a careful search with larger coils, ect. This method really makes you feel you have not missed an inch of ground even on small yards and feels less overwhelming on large pieces of land.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concentrate on the areas where the heaviest concentrations of iron are. Dig some of it and see what you've got. If there are nails are they round shank (20th century forward), cut nails (1800s) or square shank (prior to roughly 1800)? If you dig square or cut nails, hit that area hard-there was likely a house in that area a very long time ago. Swing slowly; take your time.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
You could use those little flags that push into the ground to mark off areas. Utility workers use these often and you can find them at Lowes and maybe even Home Depot.

OP
OP
93civEJ1

93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you don't have to be in a hurry on this, if you really want to get good coverage, and the land is relatively uncluttered, flat and trimmed, put together a 4' square of pvc to search in. Start in one corner of the property and move it as you go. Secure it with plastic stakes so you can keep it square as you move and grid each 4' square. Make a drawing with each section numbered and mark down which ones you got a signal you want to investigate. If you need to come back later, measure over from the property lines to these sections and do a careful search with larger coils, ect. This method really makes you feel you have not missed an inch of ground even on small yards and feels less overwhelming on large pieces of land.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Interesting. Thats a good technique. 4 x 4 square seems pretty little though. I probably swing about that wide.

OP
OP
93civEJ1

93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could use those little flags that push into the ground to mark off areas. Utility workers use these often and you can find them at Lowes and maybe even Home Depot.

Another good idea. I have some from an invisible dog fence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread