I am tired of not being able to detect Diamond Studs.........HELP!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I am tired of not being able to detect Diamond Studs.........HELP!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
    431 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I am tired of not being able to detect Diamond Studs.........HELP!

So let me get to the point. Diamond studs, are VERY DIFFICULT to detect. Do not assume your equipment will detect them.

I just took a High quality diamond stud earring and tried to detect it with my CTX-3030, in multiple modes, perfectly ground balanced, and it canít. My AT Pro Canít. My Excal canít. My Garret Carrot, you have to literally put it on highest sensitivity and TOUCH it to the stud, you canít even be 1mm away, you have to physically touch it for it to go off.

Obviously to slay the gold (in this case it was white gold) diamond stud issue, I need a GOLD machine. I donít want to spend more than I need, as you can spend ALOT on a gold machine, but I want quality and something that is going to put this to bed! Help me!

I am considering:

Equinox 800 - I hear it has two gold modes which are very impressive, and it has some things much better than the CTX3030, which I already own, and is about 3x the price.

XP Deus - I have heard good things about this detector too when it comes to gold.

Goldbug/Goldbug2 - I donít know much about these, but I have seen them recommended.

Garrett AT Gold - I have come to love the AT Pro, its solid. I have hard the AT Gold has higher frequency to deal with gold and could possibly detect diamond stud earrings.

And as a pinpointer:
    Whites TRX - I use only Garrett Carrots, but I have heard the TRX does better on small gold.

Please give me your advice. I am really only interested in advice from those who have used these machines on SMALL gold. You canít assume. I would never have thought that buying so many thousands of dollars of top of the line machines (Excal, CTX3030, AT Pro) that I would not be able to detect a diamond stud, but it just canít. I have many coils too, on the CTX and the AT Pro I have sharpshooter small coils and result is still the same, I can air test, turn sensitivity WAY up, go all metal, it doesnít matter, the high quality white gold diamond stud is completely transparent to these detectors.

What is your experience?
    smokeythecat likes this.
    Hardest working man on the beach

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    33151 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have found numerous with the Deus. The only place I look for them is a salt water beach. I use an extremely high frequency. Mine loves small gold. I'm not sure about the other machines. I'm sure someone will chip in. I noticed small foil on the salt beaches is distinguishable from the gold, FYI.
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1418 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My EQX 800 is very sensitive in detecting small objects like you mention...much more so than either my CTX3030 or Excal II.
    cudamark and Hddeuce03 like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Itís up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    fixer

Dec 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Whites 6000D Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter 202, Nokta Simplex with SP24, PulseDive
    207 times
    Metal Detecting
    The Simplex barks at them, no worries

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    76554 times
    I am glad to hear you are going after those... so when and if we detect together I will go in front of you.

And...

IF its smaller than a dime... you can have it. :P

DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
    5094 times
    I have found lots of studs with my Nokta Impact and Deus. Just use a detector that can run at 19Khz or higher
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    I have found lots of studs with my Nokta Impact and Deus. Just use a detector that can run at 19Khz or higher
    Is higher better? Many detectors can do say 20khz or 40khz some even 75khz. For a diamond stud earring I am wondering if all of those are equally good.

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I have found numerous with the Deus. The only place I look for them is a salt water beach. I use an extremely high frequency. Mine loves small gold. I'm not sure about the other machines. I'm sure someone will chip in. I noticed small foil on the salt beaches is distinguishable from the gold, FYI.
    CTX and AT Pro have no trouble detecting foil, thats for sure, even the tiniest pieces......and yes readings wise I noticed they come up similar to gold, but with small gold the low frequencies just don’t cut it.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    33151 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    On my machine I can tell the small foil. The tiny gold sings out at 74khz. That's only available on a Deus and with the HF coil.

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    431 times
    On my machine I can tell the small foil. The tiny gold sings out at 74khz. That's only available on a Deus and with the HF coil.
    @smokeythecat thanks for the info. So say you are swinging the Deus with HF coil @ 74khz. Are you still able to use discrimination? Or does that setup pickup a lot of trash? Do you have to turn the sensitivity way up (because its a small stud) and thus pick up lots of trash and deep targets? Or can you say turn sensitivity down to just get surface targets that are gold?

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    431 times
    It says the Hf coil only goes to 59khz, how do you get to 74khz?

https://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/met...tor/hf-coil-9/

Edit: never mind I see there is the HF Eliptical Coil which goes to 81khz.
    Last edited by signal; Dec 25, 2020 at 03:38 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9296 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelDan View Post
    My EQX 800 is very sensitive in detecting small objects like you mention...much more so than either my CTX3030 or Excal II.
    I've found more stud earrings and small linked chains with my Equinox 600 than any other discriminating machine I've used. If you're in an area where the Gold modes are stable, those work the best. In more unstable areas, I find Field 2 the next best, with Park 2 a distant 4th.
    ColonelDan likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    431 times
    I was hoping an Equinox 800 would do well for diamond stud’s but this post here:
    https://theringfinders.com/blog/tag/...amond-earring/

Has me concerned. he says the 800 couldn’t do it. But then I have another post where they say it could do it:
    https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...-you-cant-yet/

For sure the XP Deus can do it with the HF Coil, but its a single frequency machine so it won’t be replacing my CTX3030, but could totally replace the AT Pro and add in additional small gold capability, but at a hefty price (machine + HF coil is $$$$).

Can anyone with a Equinox 800 try a diamond stud and report back how well it can detect it? Perhaps using a smaller coil is needed. Air test is good but better even in normal soil.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    33151 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Most multi frequency machines run TWO FREQUENCIES and harmonics to make up the others. Recovery time I believe is much more desirable than splitting power between two frequencies and the harmonics to go with them. Check out the posts by vferrari here, who i dig with and understands the ifs ands or buts on this type of discussion much better than I could. The discriminator is excellent, and depending on how many tones you use, you can use the VDI and the tonal capabilities to make a quick dig/non dig decision. With the elliptical loop, you get excellent target location, unlike what you can get with a larger coil.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17674 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I find stud earrings in water ...fresh and salt - I wear a mask and many times i can see multiple scoop marks around them which tells me
    they are falling thru scoop holes - i will drop down and lightly fan and they are right there
    - I hunt all metal and probably swing slower than most
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links