AT Pro ?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
OK, I am going to shame myself and put myself in a corner, lol. 2 years ago I bought an AT Pro and have never used it. I bought it for water use and just never went to the water. I have an old Whites DFX and a DEUS which is the one I use most of the time on dry land.

My question, being electronically challenged is it a hard machine to learn how to use or can I turn it on and go?

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Not a very hard machine to learn. Put it on Pro zero, 35 Iron and go hunting. People told me to start on standard mode when I first got mine but that lasted 2 minutes. It’s basically an Ace 250 in Standard mode and I hate the bell tone. I had no problem learning Pro mode right out of the gate. It’s quite simple to learn the tones and numbers, actually are easier to learn than that stupid bell.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one last fall, I think it was in October... just before the weather turned cold in my area when it started raining and snowing, then freezing. I have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on it at this point and I don't find it hard to use. My two biggest problems are learning what the tones are telling me and finding the actual pinpoint spot... seem to be just missing it. It goes deeper than any detector I've ever had before. I've just used it in my own yard so far. I have the 8.5" X 11" coil on it, but bought the smaller 5.5" X 8" coil and will put it on the detector when the weather moderates here. I'm pretty pleased with it at this point but realize I've still got some adjusting to do myself.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT gold similar machine. Turn on, set it to the disc mode where all targets are gonna signal, bump up the disc to the low end on gold and go. Got the coin and lots of ring numbers memorized. Rarely use all metal or the ground balance controls. Fun machine!
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I just bought one last fall, I think it was in October... just before the weather turned cold in my area when it started raining and snowing, then freezing. I have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on it at this point and I don't find it hard to use. My two biggest problems are learning what the tones are telling me and finding the actual pinpoint spot... seem to be just missing it. It goes deeper than any detector I've ever had before. I've just used it in my own yard so far. I have the 8.5" X 11" coil on it, but bought the smaller 5.5" X 8" coil and will put it on the detector when the weather moderates here. I'm pretty pleased with it at this point but realize I've still got some adjusting to do myself.

Once you put the 5x8 coil on you probably won’t want to go back to the stock coil. I put mine on yrs ago and I have never put the stock back on.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you put the 5x8 coil on you probably won’t want to go back to the stock coil. I put mine on yrs ago and I have never put the stock back on.

Thanks, Irishgoldhound. I got the smaller coil on your recommendation. Look forward to using it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is why you would use an AT Pro instead of a Deus? :icon_scratch:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy detector to learn and it finds the good stuff. I'm not a fan of the belltone either so I hunt in Pro mode.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
My question is why you would use an AT Pro instead of a Deus? :icon_scratch:

I do use my Xp Orx and it blows my AT pro away. I used my Orx exclusively at the beaches this whole summer and it is deep deep. I did quite well with it. I still like using my old school Pro in the parks because I know it so well and I can sniff out gold rings anywhere with it. Sometimes I just like to grab the simple AT pro, I like to hit a few parks with a cigar in my mouth and I just slow right down and enjoy a more calm, leisurely, unhurried kinda day! The XP no doubt is far better and I love how fast and deep it is and I only use the XP for the beaches now.

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
For sure go pro 0. It was my first metal detector I had and was easy to learn. Dig everything lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use the Deus in the water too.

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Because the DEUS is dry land detector and only the coil can get wet and the AT Pro can go under water at around 10 feet. I want to detect lakes in deeper areas. Around the 3' mark.

The DEUS charge last quite while and I have a new truck that converts 12 volt to 110 and can charge going down the highway if need be. I detect the desert in the winter and the charge lasts all day.

Really I only wanted to know how hard it is to learn hw to use the AT Pro. Not sure why this went in so many other directions.

Thanks to other posters for your response.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Because the DEUS is dry land detector and only the coil can get wet and the AT Pro can go under water at around 10 feet. I want to detect lakes in deeper areas. Around the 3' mark.

The DEUS charge last quite while and I have a new truck that converts 12 volt to 110 and can charge going down the highway if need be. I detect the desert in the winter and the charge lasts all day.

Really I only wanted to know how hard it is to learn hw to use the AT Pro. Not sure why this went in so many other directions.

Thanks to other posters for your response.

You can hunt with the XP’s in the water. Actually the water kit for the Deus and Orx is rated to a deeper depth than the Equinox or AT pro. You can dive to 5 metres with the XP waterproof kit.

jasonboise85

Mar 22, 2016
middlebury vt
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro is very easy to use in my opinion. I dont understand why nobody else has given you an answer to your question 😕
Really you can just turn it on and go metal detecting. It has a good target reference right on top of the screen to show you pretty much what is under your coil without having to study the numbers.
The audio is nowhere near as helpful as the deus, but non the less the at pro is a solid machine that will do the job it was meant for.
One could go on for days comparing the two, but thats not what you are asking about.
I think you should take the at pro out the next time you have time. Push the power button and take her for a spin.
It really is a simple machine to use. Sure it takes time to master, but far less time than deus or equinox.
I keep an at pro as a back up machine, and that is the first machine that I let my friends or family members use for their first time metal detecting. It really is pretty simple, and a solid machine.
Goodluck, and let me know what you think after you try it out 👍

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The at pro is very easy to use in my opinion. I dont understand why nobody else has given you an answer to your question [emoji53]
Really you can just turn it on and go metal detecting. It has a good target reference right on top of the screen to show you pretty much what is under your coil without having to study the numbers.
The audio is nowhere near as helpful as the deus, but non the less the at pro is a solid machine that will do the job it was meant for.
One could go on for days comparing the two, but thats not what you are asking about.
I think you should take the at pro out the next time you have time. Push the power button and take her for a spin.
It really is a simple machine to use. Sure it takes time to master, but far less time than deus or equinox.
I keep an at pro as a back up machine, and that is the first machine that I let my friends or family members use for their first time metal detecting. It really is pretty simple, and a solid machine.
Goodluck, and let me know what you think after you try it out [emoji106]

I did answer his question. I said it was simple to learn.

jasonboise85

Mar 22, 2016
middlebury vt
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean anyone specifically, I just read through the comments quickly and noticed that it seemed like he was having trouble getting an answer to his question.
There is alot of knowledge from members of this site, and I was kind of surprised he hasn't had more help.

jasonboise85

Mar 22, 2016
middlebury vt
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just re read the posts, and I guess people were more helpful than I originally thought 🙃
👍

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
OK, but that wasn't the info I was looking for. No need to make a detector water proof when I already have one.

Almost confused as to why I asked the question.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread